A8 mod testing

View attachment 2450375View attachment 2450373

I think there's some confusion over the amount of chromium. This image is from the ordering page for A8 modified. The certification data checks out, but that table might be throwing potential buyers off.
It is. I’ve brought it up before. They never corrected it. It is 8 percent though! I was confused till I got a direct answer. And according to Frederic haakonsen the heat treat is dependent on the elemental makeup of course. He helped me on the heat treat, and I had to get exacts on the makeup before he would help me. I wish they would update it. Doesn’t seem to difficult to do.

It is. I’ve brought it up before. They never corrected it. It is 8 percent though! I was confused till I got a direct answer. And according to Frederic haakonsen the heat treat is dependent on the elemental makeup of course. He helped me on the heat treat, and I had to get exacts on the makeup before he would help me. I wish they would update it. Doesn’t seem to difficult to do.
What's your opinion of A8 Mod's fine edge stability? I know it's considered a "chopper" or "sword" steel by seemingly most commentators, but what would stop a guy from making a wood working knife with the stuff? Or maybe a 5-8" "survival" knife?

What's your opinion of A8 Mod's fine edge stability? I know it's considered a "chopper" or "sword" steel by seemingly most commentators, but what would stop a guy from making a wood working knife with the stuff? Or maybe a 5-8" "survival" knife?
Well I make a lot of different knives out of it. I really think it’s a versatile steel personally. Run at 60-61 rc it would have good enough fine edge stability. That’s just my personal opinion. I run mine at 59, and I’ve had no issues as my primary hunting blade. I’ve skinned and quartered several elk this year with no issues. If that’s not testing, I’m not sure what is. I’ve taken several blades to destruction in my testing, and I’ve been more than impressed. For me, I’ll continue using it, in testing it’s tougher than 3v, yet holds an edge almost as long, as far as wood and game processing. 3v may cut longer because of the vanadium. But A8 is Way easier to touch up than high alloy steels. And it’s much cheaper. I think only 8670 and s7 are tougher, but not by much. And this holds a better, and longer edge. I’ve done some extensive testing, and have tried different heat treats. And with the results I’ve gotten, I ordered a lot of it. Lol. It’s more of a malleable steel, it won’t chip, you may get some edge rolling at more acute edge angles! But I’m running my smaller knives at a near zero convex, and they’ve held up great. Even carving and chopping wood. If I have to chop bone, I fatten the edge up a little.

Well I make a lot of different knives out of it. I really think it’s a versatile steel personally. Run at 60-61 rc it would have good enough fine edge stability. That’s just my personal opinion. I run mine at 59, and I’ve had no issues as my primary hunting blade. I’ve skinned and quartered several elk this year with no issues. If that’s not testing, I’m not sure what is. I’ve taken several blades to destruction in my testing, and I’ve been more than impressed. For me, I’ll continue using it, in testing it’s tougher than 3v, yet holds an edge almost as long, as far as wood and game processing. 3v may cut longer because of the vanadium. But A8 is Way easier to touch up than high alloy steels. And it’s much cheaper. I think only 8670 and s7 are tougher, but not by much. And this holds a better, and longer edge. I’ve done some extensive testing, and have tried different heat treats. And with the results I’ve gotten, I ordered a lot of it. Lol. It’s more of a malleable steel, it won’t chip, you may get some edge rolling at more acute edge angles! But I’m running my smaller knives at a near zero convex, and they’ve held up great. Even carving and chopping wood. If I have to chop bone, I fatten the edge up a little.
Cool. I just bought some.
A8 Modified Carbon Steel, HRDA × 1
( .124 in x 23.5 in x 1.5 in )
Wife will yell at me.
A8 Modified Carbon Steel, Flat Ground × 1
( .150 in x 11.6 in x 1.5 in )
No sex tonight.

Wife will yell at me.
No sex tonight.
You should see my last few orders! Lol. But lately I’ve been buying a couple bars here and there. Just to stockpile.

Wife will yell at me.
No sex tonight.
Are you planning on heat treating this? Or sending it out?

I think there's some confusion over the amount of chromium. This image is from the ordering page for A8 modified. The certification data checks out, but that table might be throwing potential buyers off. I think this is a steel that SHOULD catch on so long as people are aware that the edge retention is about the same as A2 but with much higher toughness. If fine edge stability is as good as A2 at equivalent hardness, I bet this stuff at 61HRC would be pretty nifty. If it's as easy to polish and sharpen as A2 and has a little better corrosion resistance, then I think it might be a winner. I'm not educated enough to know much about the edge stability, though.

You cant go wrong with A8, it is really a nice steel. My personal experience is that it gets a very nice edge and edge holding is similiar, but it wont have as mucg strength as A2, obviously it is way more carbon lean than that. However if you dont put trough hardcore abuse with very thin edges it will just perform fantastic and a joy to sharpen. Dulling mechanism is a little bit different than some other steels, somewhat similar to lower carbon steels. It maintains a very good edge for a while and you cant really feel that quick loss of razor sharpeness. And than after a lot of use it will just drops rapidly, and thats the point where you need a quick touch-up.

Mine is sourced from Bestar (BE2360). I use 1050C (1922f) with 30 min soak, Plate quench, dry ice, and 3x 200c (400f) temper. That yields around 59,5-60,5 HRC.
My only issue with the Bestar sourced material is that it is probably a coil product originally, and i had some issues with warping. To eliminate that i introduced a 2 hour 650 C stress relieve and that helped a lot.

You cant go wrong with A8, it is really a nice steel. My personal experience is that it gets a very nice edge and edge holding is similiar, but it wont have as mucg strength as A2, obviously it is way more carbon lean than that. However if you dont put trough hardcore abuse with very thin edges it will just perform fantastic and a joy to sharpen. Dulling mechanism is a little bit different than some other steels, somewhat similar to lower carbon steels. It maintains a very good edge for a while and you cant really feel that quick loss of razor sharpeness. And than after a lot of use it will just drops rapidly, and thats the point where you need a quick touch-up.

Mine is sourced from Bestar (BE2360). I use 1050C (1922f) with 30 min soak, Plate quench, dry ice, and 3x 200c (400f) temper. That yields around 59,5-60,5 HRC.
My only issue with the Bestar sourced material is that it is probably a coil product originally, and i had some issues with warping. To eliminate that i introduced a 2 hour 650 C stress relieve and that helped a lot.
I think Dulo knives also use A8mod from Bestar. Or, at least, they used, some years ago.

Reactions: HPD
Send me a pm. I’ve been playing a lot with heat treat. And I’m liking the results I’m getting. I’d rather not get to into it here. I’m shying away from the conventional heat treat on this alloy. Or you can send me a message on instagram. I follow you there! I don’t think you follow me back! ryanrodriguez1025 is my instagram
rodriguezryan14 rodriguezryan14 What is your favorite heat treat protocol. A friend might be sending me some blanks to heat treat and I could use some suggestions

Send me a pm. I’ve been playing a lot with heat treat. And I’m liking the results I’m getting. I’d rather not get to into it here. I’m shying away from the conventional heat treat on this alloy. Or you can send me a message on instagram. I follow you there! I don’t think you follow me back! ryanrodriguez1025 is my instagram
You asked zillion question here but you would not share HT protocol you use with members here ? Why ?

You asked zillion question here but you would not share HT protocol you use with members here ? Why ?

This is what I started with, and I’ve refined it from here. If I take the time to test and refine a process, why should I share absolutely everything about it? This is my hard invested time. And as a single father and part time knife maker, who works a full time job. And a lot of hours, my time is very important to me! It’s something I can’t get back!

Attachments

• IMG_4093.png
    IMG_4093.png
    401.8 KB · Views: 3

I may have came off rude. And I apologize. Yes. In the past I’ve asked a lot of questions. And I got little to no help. So I’ve learned how to refine my own process based off the data sheets. I have no issues helping people. But I don’t think everyone needs to know exactly what I do. It’s my process that I’ve developed through trial and error and a lot of broken blades!! I don’t really test coupons. I test actual knives! If anyone pm’s me, I have no issue helping them how I can. I just don’t feel like I need to make it public for everyone to see. Kind of like some other companies and certain smaller knife makers. It’s my proprietary heat treat for that specific alloy. I started with a standard heat treat, 1900 aus temp, 30 minute soak. Cryo and triple temper at 400. I worked from there and found better attributes with different hold times and different steps and tempering temps! Not a big deal. It just took time and testing! I still use that heat treat for certain things, but I also use my own developed heat treat for other blades!

I may have came off rude. And I apologize. Yes. In the past I’ve asked a lot of questions. And I got little to no help. So I’ve learned how to refine my own process based off the data sheets. I have no issues helping people. But I don’t think everyone needs to know exactly what I do. It’s my process that I’ve developed through trial and error and a lot of broken blades!! I don’t really test coupons. I test actual knives! If anyone pm’s me, I have no issue helping them how I can. I just don’t feel like I need to make it public for everyone to see. Kind of like some other companies and certain smaller knife makers. It’s my proprietary heat treat for that specific alloy. I started with a standard heat treat, 1900 aus temp, 30 minute soak. Cryo and triple temper at 400. I worked from there and found better attributes with different hold times and different steps and tempering temps! Not a big deal. It just took time and testing! I still use that heat treat for certain things, but I also use my own developed heat treat for other blades!
I like how you test...... I saw the hammer test. Pretty impressed!!!

so many people just use theory.

Testing is mandatory, and breaking stuff really lets us know what's up, and if there are areas that need improving.

*His heat treat looks sound.

I like how you test...... I saw the hammer test. Pretty impressed!!!

so many people just use theory.

Testing is mandatory, and breaking stuff really lets us know what's up, and if there are areas that need improving.

*His heat treat looks sound.
I can be a little extreme sometimes. But what can I say, I like tough blades. That’s why I started making knives to begin with. I’ve been using thinner stock lately because of the toughness I can get with this heat treat. I tend to go overboard , but with the tests I’ve done, I know I won’t have failures in the field with normal use! You should see some of my flex test and hammer impact videos! 🤣

I did find some cpm1v that I wanted to try. But I can’t justify the cost on a sheet right now. I’d rather get a few pieces to test then spend 4 grand on a sheet! That steel has decent enough wear resistance, yet it’s probably tougher than A8 mod. Very interesting!

Back