AA Forge & Fiddleback Forge Comparison Photos

Comprehensivist

Platinum Member
There seems to be a lot of overlap between fans of the great fixed blade knives made by AA Forge and Fiddleback Forge. The knife makers; Adam Gray of AA and Andy Roy of Fiddleback, both excel in making wonderfully designed and beautifully finished knives for outdoorsman, bushcrafters, and hunters among others. I am proud to own more than a few amazing knives by each of these talented makers.

I have been active on the Fiddleback forum since 2013 where I have posted many comparison photos of two or more knives to show relative size and point out differences in features to help folks decide which model(s) are better suited to his or her uses. Shortly after I started acquiring some of Adam’s knives in 2015 and starting posting comments about their high quality fit and finish, I began receiving messages from forum members and friends asking me to describe how a certain AA Forge model compares size-wise to a Fiddleback Forge model they are familiar with or vice-versa.

After responding to several of those PM’s, I thought it might be useful to people planning their next purchase to see some measurements comparison photos of a range of knives from both makers. I contacted Adam to run the idea by him. He liked the idea and gave me the OK to post this in his forum.

My goal with this thread is just to show basic size comparisons across a range of knives from both makers rather than get into an in-depth analysis of similarities and differences between each model. Both makers offer an extensive list of models, handle materials, liner & pinstripe combos, steel and grind options, etc. that will allow you to find a combination that appeals to your unique taste once you determine which model(s) you like.

What follows are a series of photos of six AA Forge and seven Fiddleback Forge models arranged side-by-side lined up on the pommel ends. The knives are in the same left to right order in all of the photos going from shortest OAL to longest. In case you the reader are not familiar with either makers’ knives, I have used either an “AA” or “FF” prefix to the model names to clearly identify which is which. All linear dimensions shown start from the top front edge of the handle. Please post a reply in this thread if you have any other questions about the knives shown.

I hope that you find something here useful to help identify the next knife you want to buy. You can’t go wrong with either maker in my opinion. Good luck with your search and research along the way.

Thanks,

Phil

Dimensions:

L to R: FF “Hiking Buddy”, FF “Monarch”, AA “Grunt”, FF “Arete”, FF “Bushcrafter”, AA “Nomad”, AA “Rounded Pommel Bushcrafter” (natural), AA “Rounded Pommel Bushcrafter” (black), AA “Woodsman”, FF “Bourbon Street Skinner”, AA “Bushcrafter XL”, FF “Leuku”, & FF “Woodsman”

Thanks for the chart & photos Phil.......appreciate the time & effort that you put into this project.

I've got 11 or so of Adam's beautiful knives, and more than a few of Andy's.

We are blessed to have access to their talent & craftsmanship :thumbup:

Peter

Thanks Phil for the post and pictures!

I really enjoy seeing the side by side.

Back