AA in Texas

For a while I've worried about the legality of an Argonne Assault in Texas based on a state law prohibition on "knuckles." So much so that when I looked at the law, I felt the need to dispose of mine out of state. Not for very much longer, though.

According to section 46.01(8) the Texas Penal Code, "'Knuckles' means any instrument that consists of finger rings or guards made of a hard substance and that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with a fist enclosed in the knuckles." I think it's obvious to all thinking people that the finger holes on an AA are for retention and to protect the fingers against accidental injury, and not at all for more effectively smashing someone in the face. After all, if you meant to do someone serious bodily injury, it would be a lot easier to just use that pointy end or the slicey part.

But still, this is a state where a prosecutor wrote an article bragging about how he got some otherwise law-abiding woman convicted on a weapons charge for possession of a "knuckle clutch." In case you don't know what a "knuckle clutch" is, it's a purse with a handle that looks like brass knuckles. While looking for a link to that article (the article's been deleted, but the WaybackMachine remembers), I ran across one where a guy was arrested for possessing what they described as a "trench knife." But the gun in the glovebox was fine. 'Cause, it's Texas. But the BudK folder with finger holes in the trunk? Now that's a crime.

Maybe this guy's knife was different because when folded, it looked like brass knuckles (except with a Confederate battle flag motif), or maybe you just you can't expect a cop to be a thinking person (especially when you detain him for an hour so the drug dog can find no illegal drugs, and you've got to justify it somehow). Or maybe it was just because the guy was from Arkansas. But whatever the reason, off to jail he went.

Heck, they've even prosecuted girls for carrying kitty keychains, I guess because it's one thing to carry something manly like a Bowie Knife or a Glock, but a cute little plastic keychain that might could be used to fend off a rapist? Not in my state, missy.

Well, come September 1, it's no longer a concern. Last Saturday, Governor Abbot signed H.B. 446, which struck "knuckles" from the list of prohibited items, and any doubts about the legality of an AA will evaporate.

It's also currently illegal in Texas to carry a tomahawk, because according to section 46.01(1), a tomahawk is a "club," and 46.02(a) makes it illegal to carry a club. But thanks to H.B. 446, hawks too will soon be joining swords, daggers, switchblades, and knives with blades over 5 1/2 inches in the category of things Texans are now allowed to freely carry on their persons (except in certain specified places like schools, bars, courthouses, etc).

So Jerry, for September 1, 2019, could we get a commemorative Texican Bowie AA, with a suitable companion Hawk? In honor of freedom, and all that?

Last edited:
Good for you!.
I've always like Texas, and Texans with their independent spirit.
It's not too shabby here in PA either.
I do pity the law-abiding folks in some other states (...you know what they are...) that can't have anything because it may scare the little children

It's also currently illegal in Texas to carry a tomahawk, because according to section 46.01(1), a tomahawk is a "club," and 46.02(a) makes it illegal to carry a club. But thanks to H.B. 446, hawks too will soon be joining swords, daggers, switchblades, and knives with blades over 5 1/2 inches in the category of things Texans are now allowed to freely carry on their persons (except in certain specified places like schools, bars, courthouses, etc).
How many "Truckers" carry a Tire Thumper which is a "CLUB" that cross the Texas Highways all day everyday??? :eek::eek::eek:

How many "Truckers" carry a Tire Thumper which is a "CLUB" that cross the Texas Highways all day everyday??? :eek::eek::eek:

Nonsense! According to section 46.01(1) of the Penal Code:

“Club” means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
(A) blackjack;
(B) nightstick;
(C) mace;
(D) tomahawk.​

A tire thumper is specifically designed and made for checking tire pressure. It says so right there in the ad in the BudK catalog! And if that's not enough, the words "Use only as a TIRE THUMPER" are printed right there on the club... I mean Tire Thumper. It doesn't become a "club" until you adapt it by thumping someone in the head with it.

Just keep in mind that the analogous "Brass Paperweight" defense has proven unsuccessful in at least one Texas court, despite the clear and unequivocal description in the BudK catalog.

ETA: Also, it's legal to carry a club in your vehicle. But not a brass paperweight. Can't have those anywhere.

Last edited:
Congrats on your freedom to carry.

You need an Alamo Paleo Trio.

Some knuckle protection. With an, eight to six inch de-boning tool. Anything longer is user unfriendly .

A wide headed, bearded, longer hafted, cave renovation/raiding tool. For home repair/razing.

Thin, silent, nice in the kitchen. You could trim yellow rose's with it. Also be warned. If you trifle with her. She may be slide between your rib's. Also to guard against the other two..

That's awesome they are passing a law like that. Unfortunately my state isn't too friendly towards this kind of thing. My Extrema Ratio ASFK never gets to see the light of day haha.

jh7PUk2.jpg

Texas will always be home, but every time I come home it feels like a different place. Don’t see so many of the country folk I’m used to, but subdivisions spreading everywhere of transplants coming in for jobs. Land prices around San Antonio have jumped up to around $100k an acre! Property taxes through the roof and now raising sales tax to 9.25%. Just don’t think Ill ever really be able to go back home. Looking at Idaho, Montana and am really liking Kentucky since we got stationed there

Texas will always be home, but every time I come home it feels like a different place. Don’t see so many of the country folk I’m used to, but subdivisions spreading everywhere of transplants coming in for jobs. Land prices around San Antonio have jumped up to around $100k an acre! Property taxes through the roof and now raising sales tax to 9.25%. Just don’t think Ill ever really be able to go back home. Looking at Idaho, Montana and am really liking Kentucky since we got stationed there

They did a bit to slow the growth of taxes in the legislative session that just ended. Cities and counties can't increase property tax revenue by more than 3.5% per year without putting it to a vote of the people. And they have to lower property tax rates as the values go up, so that's something, at least. And they killed the sales tax increase. So that's something too.

And Idaho and Montana might look good now, but so did Washington and Oregon 10 years ago. Also, that Yellowstone supervolcano is gonna blow any terasecond now, so probably not a good retirement option.

Legal shmeagle. Wont stop me from buying at least two of something with INFI knuckle dusters.
Just like the saying goes - If you outlaw knuckles, only outlaws will have knuckles. :D

I'm mostly a law abiding citizen but at the same time, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 so if I'm in a sketchy "gun-free zone", I'm packing. My friends in Law Enforcement down here say they have my back if anything ever goes down but hopefully it'll never come to that.

They did a bit to slow the growth of taxes in the legislative session that just ended. Cities and counties can't increase property tax revenue by more than 3.5% per year without putting it to a vote of the people. And they have to lower property tax rates as the values go up, so that's something, at least. And they killed the sales tax increase. So that's something too.

And Idaho and Montana might look good now, but so did Washington and Oregon 10 years ago. Also, that Yellowstone supervolcano is gonna blow any terasecond now, so probably not a good retirement option.
I know, I’m running out of places to go!!! Good to hear they killed the sales tax increase, that was just getting out of hand! Montana has 0% and if Yellowstone goes, they whole world is pretty much toast anyway, I might as well have a good view on the way out!

In all seriousness though, we weren’t expecting to like Kentucky when we got stationed there, but surprisingly, we like it quite a bit. Doesn’t have the big craggy mountains I like, but it’s very green with big rolling hills. People around Knox have been more like what I used to see back home

This happens to be my area of dealings...most depends on the incident and a combined set of circumstances/situation at hand.

PM me if anyone has specific questions on the matter; I’d rather things not turn into a storm since such things often do
Edit: I tried to add a smiley face.

I can carry anything I want in Colorado. No need to move to Texas.

Back