About my trusty panawal

Seeing that this forum is about as dead as a doornail, I thought I might spin a yarn about one of my erstwhile scorned-upon khuks (it might even get Outdoors an' Lt. Dan out from between the cracks):

I own ten khuks. The tenth and last one I purchased (a panawal) was a blem. The slabs were loose. While I don't really use my khuks, I decided this one was to be abused, so's I can really come up for all my khuks if it doesn't break. If this one can take it, it's a testimonial to the others lying peacefully in my steel cabinet.
Wife: "What are you doing?"
Me: "Chopping down some branches from this dead loquat tree."
Wife: "What have you got there?"
Me: "The Panawal."
Wife: "What?"
Me: "One of my khukuris."
Wife: "I'll bring you the saw."
Me: "No thanks, I'm all right."
Wife: "Why are you mucking up your khukuri?"
Me: "It's the Panawal. It's shot already. I'm gonna use it like any tool. It must work for me."
Wife: "Use the saw instead."
Me: "Have you seen this baby chop? This isn't a tourist khuk! It's just got a bad handle."
Wife: "Your hands will get blistery an' all."
Me: "That's me AND the khuk that'll get put through the paces. I put this bit of tape around the loose slabs."
Wife: "You're gonna break it, swinging it like that."
Me: "No fear! Not with honest work. Mebbe if I throw it, or use it like it's not supposed to. But it's MADE for cutting an' chopping."
Wife: "That khukuri's getting all grungy. You're gonna have a hard time cleaning it afterwards."
Me: "Nope. Gonna throw it in the shed after use, together with all my other tools."
Wife: "When your friends come, how will you be able to show off your whole collection if this one is in the dust amongst your tools?"
Me: "That's the point! I'll take them to the shed first. Show them this workhorse, all scratched and mucky. Show 'em a khuk is made to do a real job of work. Then we go into the house an' I haul out the shiny ones. They'll not doubt that those are also able to work hard!"
Wife: "Why are you breathing so hard? I'll get you the saw."
Me: "Don't you have a coffee pot to attend to?"

Stay well!

A worthy yarn, my friend. It's good to know what you're up to nowadays. What a refreshing notion it is to go and chop something, as I've had waaay too much powder on the mind lately.

That's a fun approach to having a down and dirty khukuri to be a contrast to the others. You'll really enjoy working on it and making the handle better than new. And now that you mention it, there's a rather large AK that's my beast of burden.

It would be nice if Craig would make an appearance.

My best to you and the misses.

dan

Hi Guys! I'm new here....i noticed the forum is kinda' "slow"? I remembered it being busy about a year or 2 ago, what happened? Anyway, i'm a newbie in this Khukuris business and am happy to have my first Khukri brought back all the way from Nepal...good stuff. I'll be checking in here once in awhile, Hope to hear more from you guys.

Eric Wong.

P.S: Is there any clan thingy' going on with GH and HI? Just in case there is and don't wanna' to offend anyone. I'll be hopping in and out of GH adn HI.

Hi Eric! Glad to have you on board. Yeah, I suppose there IS a clan thingy going on. But don't let it get you down. No-one can blame you for contributing threads and posts on either one or both of the forums. I don't own a single HI item, but the HI guys treat me as one of their own.

Thanks Dan! Regards to your family too. Glad you liked my fun approach. I also thought it made sense. Maybe it's a physcological approach?

Did something else which might just make sense to you all. Bought a jambiya. Yep, not a khukuri. Just like the khukuri is the traditional knife of Nepal, so the jambiya is the traditional knife of Arab and some other countries. The one I got is a Kurdish jambiya, w/o sheath. Circa 1910 or thereabouts. I'll have to make the sheath once I've got the research done.

Makes sense to me to show the khukuri to visitors, together with the jambiya for real interesting natter.

Hey Johan!
trying to wrap things up before taking a few days away from the office. Gotta love the Panawal. i wish Craig would come back :(

Pat

Speaking of Craig.....Anyone know where he is? I tried to contact him awhile back to order some more stock but the e-mail bounced.

Wassup? Did he quit, or what?

Craig can be reached at www.germandaggers.com I think that he has left the Khukuri buisness for awhile though. I hear that he still takes care of warrenties and that sort of thing. Just not importing new stuff. That is what I hear.

Hi Johan

Tell me as a fellow South African which khuks you rate better, HI or Ghurka House.

Dankie Meneer !!

Back