? about splitting axes

D25

The cutlery snob in me has expanded and I need some advise. I am tired of using a generic $20 axe, and want to go ahead a buy "the last axe I'll ever need." I am almost sold on a Gransfors Bruk or an Oxhead, but then I found this guy for a third of the price. http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-64884.html

So my question is this: Are Condor tools any good? The do seem to have a large percentage of what looks like cheezy faux damascus which gives me pause. Or do I need to pony up and spend the $ on a GB? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi, You cannot go wrong with the Gransfors or Oxhead axes. I have both and they are excellent. I also like Snow and Nealley's axes and they are USA made in Maine...top quality too from an old maker. Estwings camp axes are a little heavy but are unbreakable and top notch as well. It really is up to your personal preferences. I only by USA or European made items as I do a lot of business in Asia and though they may look good something is always missing somewhere along the way. Gerber and Buck and all of our domestic manufacturers that have shifted production there may be sorry one day. Quick profits today and no customers down the road I hope is their future.

Good luck and buy the best...you won't be sorry!

Back