AC/DC battery charger etcher

Hey everyone,

I seem to remember seeing a diagram or a thread on being able to take an older style battery charger and wire it to switch between AC/DC for proper etching. I tried the search feature and can’t seem to find it does this seem to ring a bell to anyone? I’m pretty sure it was in this forum

You add a DPDT switch after the transformer and before the bridge rectifier so you can go from AC to DC. The The old 6V/12V chargers work best for this.
Disconnect the cables with the clamps from the bridge rectifier. The center contacts of the DPDT switch go to the cables, one end of the switch goes to the AC after the transformer ( after the 6V/12V switch if using that type), and the other end after the bridge rectifier where you disconnected the cables. Check which way is AC and which is DC and label them.

You add a DPDT switch after the transformer and before the bridge rectifier so you can go from AC to DC. The The old 6V/12V chargers work best for this.
Disconnect the cables with the clamps from the bridge rectifier. The center contacts of the DPDT switch go to the cables, one end of the switch goes to the AC after the transformer ( after the 6V/12V switch if using that type), and the other end after the bridge rectifier where you disconnected the cables. Check which way is AC and which is DC and label them.

Thanks! It looks like it goes right from the transformer to the heat sink and then to the lead. I don’t see a bridge rectifier.

That thing you are calling a heat sink is a rectifier. It will look like a stack of metal plates. Some havetwo rectifiers with two lugs, and others have one rectifier with three or four lugs.
220px-Selenium_rectifier.agr.jpg

lucas-replica-8-plate-square-rectifier-for-triumph-positive-earth-p80-5951_image.jpg

I lucked into a commercial antique bench top power supply years ago that gives me both AC and DC variable voltage and amperage from a single unit. If I didn't want to put the cash down for the personalizer plus or not build my own I'd google or check Amazon for bench top DC power supplies. Cheap variable voltage. $20 to infinity. AC transformers are a dime a dozen. You probably already have the AC transformers in your junk drawer now.

I used a doorbell transformer. You get a choice of output voltage. Thow in a 3 way switch so you can pass one lead directly to the electrodes and one through the bridge rectifier for dc.

Yes, that is a bridge rectifier ... different shape, but same thing. Since we are using minute current amounts compared to charging a battery, any type of rectifier rated at 1Amp or more will do the job.
Stacy I really appreciate the help. I don’t understand where to put the switch to make this go between AC/DC one of the leads goes to a 50 amp fuse back to the transformer. I have isolated the windings that are for the 50 amp quick charge and intend on just using the 10 amp side. I have used the charger for etching before but only getting limited results due to no AC current.

Rewove the charger cables and install some binding posts or banana plug sockets where the + and - cables were. These are where your etcher wires will be attached.
Remove the charge selector switch and put a DPDT switch in its hole. If it won't fit because they are different shapes, just drill a hole in the cabinet and mount the DPDT switch. It is possible the charge selector switch can be used as the DPDT switch, but I would need to see a schematic of your charger.

Connect the DC wires from the rectifier (the ones that went to the charger cables) to the posts/sockets.
From the transformer 10 amp tap comes two AC wires that went to the rectifier - cut these and connect the wires from the transformer to the center of the DPDT switch.
Remove the 50 amp wires at the transformer. You won't be using them.
One end of the DPDT switch will go directly to the binding posts/sockets. In this position, the switch will output AC to the posts/sockets for the MARK.
The other end of the DPDT switch goes to wires you cut that went to the rectifier. When the DPDT switch is in this position, the AC now goes to the rectifier, and from there to the posts/sockets. In this position, the etcher will output DC for the ETCH.

Back