Accidental Axis deployment

Had a situation where an Axis lock folder somehow opened while clipped into my pants. It was right above the right back pocket, where I have carried it for years. I noticed this as I sat into my car. Is this a bad location for carry? Any clue as to what happened? I would like to avoid repeats of this wonderful scenario as it took me 30 minutes to stop the bleeding (finger).

Thanks!

Granted, I don't ask where people carry their knives, but clipped into the pants on your backside is the first time I've ever heard of someone carrying there.

I'm guessing your underwear (or skin? I don't judge) grabbed the thumbstud when the act of sitting caused the pants to drag the knife across whatever is underneath.

What model knife was it?

Snody Tanto.

Sounds like I need to revise my carry. Thank God it didn't penetrate anything more substantial.

Thanks for the explanation!

Interesting carry place but I’m not one to judge! If it’s been riding steady for years I guess I would chalk it up as a one time issue but maybe change up the location?? If there’s one thing I’ve learned about knives, it’s that they are usually sharp :cool:

I'll often carry my knife in my right rear pocket next to my wallet. However, I have a smaller wallet nowadays to accomodate some of the wider folding knives I stow back there. I haven't had any issues with accidental deployment with that placement so far.

You gotta make sure the blade is against something to prevent it from opening.
I don't quite understand where exactly or how you were carrying it if it's not in the back pocket. Maybe get a sheath?

I love Axis lock but among all locks that I have tried, the Axis lock has the weakest blade retention in the fully closed position. It is the easiest to be shaken open. So yes - you need to make sure in your pocket the spine of the blade is againt the seam.

Back