Ace Sonoma, anyone picked one up?

I just purchased one yesterday, I can’t wait to get it in hand.

Watched a youtube unboxing video for it, it appears that the detent issues of the GM series has been fixed. “Push button” action fired hard.

That push button action is for real! Also a fantastic "Bic" flicker.

I like how it looks except for the overly large choil and boring slab of titanium. Put a design on there or something
I’m with you, just a tad too monochrome for my taste. What I want is the PVD one with satin blade. But, alas. But this is just the first batch. I suspect, like the Biblio, there will be different iterations if these sell well. Gonna wait and see cuz I know I would be selling one of these if a sweet antiqued bronze dropped with satin blade.

I just got mine today. I received a Millet Torrent a few days before. I think the Sonoma compares very well. Everything is good to go (fit/finish, action, etc).

The Sonoma and Torrent have very similar usable blade lengths, but the Sonoma has about an extra 3/4-1” of handle. I would like to see the handle be more compact or add a little more width/beef to the blade. Something to make that longer handle worthwhile. Obviously personal preference though.

If you like the ZT 470/609...you’ll love this guy.

Last edited:
Looks very similar to ZT 0450 or I must be missing sth?

I'd put it more like an 0452 than 0450, perhaps somewhere in the middle of them, but definitely bigger than the 0450.

I think Reate producing it puts in a whole another bracket as well fit and finish. Zt makes some awesome knives but I wouldnt put them in the same category as Reate imo.

Last edited:
I'd put it more like an 0452 thank 0450, 0erhaps somewhere in the middle of them but definitely bigger than thr 0450. I think Reate producing it puts 8n a whole another bracket as well fit and finish. Zt makes some awesome knives but I wouldnt put them in the same category as Reate imo.

I have experience with Reate folders and I agree with you on Reate vs ZT. But this said GM knife size wise is definitely much closer to ZT 0450 than 0452. I said it LOOKS similar to ZT 0450 and I still say so: both ti framelock flippers, slim, drop point blade, a bit less than 8" overall length and a bit over 3" blade length.

I have experience with Reate folders and I agree with you on Reate vs ZT. But this said GM knife size wise is definitely much closer to ZT 0450 than 0452. I said it LOOKS similar to ZT 0450 and I still say so: both ti framelock flippers, slim, drop point blade, a bit less than 8" overall length and a bit over 3" blade length.

I stand corrected the handle is what I guess I was hung up on. Blade is slightly larger than an 0450 but the handle seems larger.

I loved my 0450 but being only a 3 finger knife it drove me crazy, the sonoma is a 4 finger knife from the pictures posted, which puts it in a different category to me.

There isn't a claimed one. But it's done by Reate and I think when theirs has been tested it has tended to come in mostly in the 60s. I'm expecting good things.

Halden, do you have anything to report about the performance of Reate's M390 in this knife?

Halden, do you have anything to report about the performance of Reate's M390 in this knife?

I haven't used mine super hard yet, but I did carry and use it every day for one week and the factory edge held up great. I haven't needed to put my edge on it yet, but will likely do so soon.

That push button action is for real! Also a fantastic "Bic" flicker.
So, back to mulling this over. Is the detent super hard and does lockbar pressure cause failures? Cannot stand that. Period. If detent is medium at most and slight pressure on lockbar is not an issue I will give one a try.

So, back to mulling this over. Is the detent super hard and does lockbar pressure cause failures? Cannot stand that. Period. If detent is medium at most and slight pressure on lockbar is not an issue I will give one a try.

A bit difficult to describe the Sonoma's action in isolation. Comparing it to a few other well known knives I own might make it easier.

- Detent: Feels similar to Hinderer XM-18 3.5" Gen 6, ZT0562 and Koenig Mini Goblin. It's so close that I have to close my eyes and concentrate to detect differences. In other words the differences are too small to be of any significance. The flipper tab geometry may have some influence on "comfort" of flipping with the Sonoma feeling the most comfortable on the finger, and the Hinderer the least comfortable. As I wrote in my previous comment, the Sonoma responds very well to a "push button" deployment.

- Lock bar pressure causing failure: Compared to the other knives here, the Sonoma is similar to the Koenig. A finger on on the lockbar just below the lockbar insert screw can impede the blade from deploying, so you have to be mindful of where you rest your middle finger. (In this regard the XM-18 Gen 6 and ZT0562 are more forgiving). However, you should get the hang of it with a few minute of practice. No big deal to me.

One additional note, my copy of the Sonoma isn't quite as "free drop shut" like my Hinderer, ZT and Koenig. It requires one quick wrist twist to close, but that's the way I like it for safety reasons. I don't care for free droppers.

A bit difficult to describe the Sonoma's action in isolation. Comparing it to a few other well known knives I own might make it easier.

- Lock bar pressure causing failure: Compared to the other knives here, the Sonoma is similar to the Koenig. A finger on on the lockbar just below the lockbar insert screw can impede the blade from deploying, so you have to be mindful of where you rest your middle finger. (In this regard the XM-18 Gen 6 and ZT0562 are more forgiving). However, you should get the hang of it with a few minute of practice. No big deal to me.

I second this statement and it is really the only thing I don't like about the knife. The action is very smooth when you have your grip properly on the handle and I too like the closing action that doesn't drop free.

I have the TI PVD version and it is a really well made, nice knife. Probably one of my favorites at this point in time because it just looks classy.

Did not read all posts just the first one and have a few questions,who makes Ace series knives and Giant mouse knives also what would be the difference beetwen Ace Sonoma and GMP3?Thanks.

Last edited:
Did not read all posts just the first one and have a few questions,who makes Ace series knives and Giant mouse knives also what would be the difference beetwen Ace Sonoma and GMP3?Thanks.

I am not sure who made the precious versions but I know the ACE sonoma was the first made by Reate,

For some reason I thought lionsteel made the previous stuff but I dont know why I think that that.

It certainly looks nice, but...

• It's another flipper
  • The clip isn't reversible
  • It looks like it's not suitable for left handed people
  • Made in China, but priced like an EU made knife.
Those are some big letdowns.

Most GiantMouse knives are made on Maniago, Italy with the Sonoma as the exception.

Personally, I would rate the execution of Reate higher than the manufacturers in Maniago, Italy, although the Italians rate high in execution of knives.

Back