Acid Etch Finish on BK 2

I have a BK 2 that I have stripped with paint remover and would like to use Muraitic Acid (hydrochloric acid) to get a frosted finish. I have done this in the past with other knives, but now I find that using Muraitic may introduce hydrogen embrittlement. Does anyone here know if this will occur on 1095?
thanks in advance.

BriarPatch

Last edited:
I have a BK 2 that I have stripped with paint remover and would like to use Muraitic Acid (hydrochloric acid) to get a frosted finish. I have done this in the past with other knives, but now I find that using Muraitic may introduce hydrogen embrittlement. Does anyone here know if this will occur on 1095?
thanks in advance.

After some reading I would guess that it might compromise the steel. 1095 has an HRC above 30 so it appears it would be vulnerable.
Glass bead blasting would achieve the results you're looking for with no risk of damaging the knife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement

I would not think that it would be an issue with a .25" thick piece of steel. The acid is not going to penetrate very deeply. It might compromise 1/10 of a mm of the metal but I can't imagine it would be of any issue. Also, how long do you plan on leaving the blade in the acid?

cody1:

I will leave the BK2 in the acid for about 15 to 20 minutes, maybe a little longer. It depends on how the finish looks--enough to hide all the surface imprefections. I will neutralize in baking soda water and rince well with plain water. I'm not sure of the strength of the acid. I will use it undiluted. It comes from building supply/home improvement store.

thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Etching won't hide any imperfections -- quite the opposite. If there are pits or grind marks, the etch will make them stand out. If you are looking for a perfect finish, you may want to refinish the blade. If you're gonna use it, then I wouldn't worry to much. It is a Becker, after all. :D

Last edited:
Back