Active Duty or Leaner Meaner?

The Max Duty is great, love the texturing and thinness of the handle…. :)

DSC_0122_zps4c1cca5d.jpg

I agree! Now I have been out of the loop for a bit, but these came out in 2014 - right? I am surprised that there is not more buzz about them - because they are one sweet little knife! I would love more options for a coating and thickness - because a fat version would be really nice! Perhaps, it's the benefit of the material that they went for a thin slicer ....

Last edited:
I agree! Now I have been out of the loop for a bit, but these came out in 2014 - right? I am surprised that there is not more buzz about them - because they are one sweet little knife! I would love more options for a coating and thickness - because a fat version would be really nice! Perhaps, it's the benefit of the material that they went for a thin slicer ....

These were originally released from a small run at Blade Show 2014, correct. Bossman was asked about these by a Hog at Jock's & Jill's over that weekend and I remember him saying that they completely redesigned the Active Duty for this release…. not just a thinner Elmax version of the AD.

I REALLY like the new handle, much slimmer overall than the originals and the texturing is spot on for me….. very grippy without being too aggressive or abrasive. If I am not mistaken the blade profile is also a bit different also, seems the 14' model has a very subtle and slight drop point whereas the originals had a more pronounced drop point…. almost approaching a spear point shape.

Jerry has mentioned years ago that if he were to make a thin cross sectioned slicer type he would use D2 steel, so it would seem that the Elmax equates to an even better choice than D2 for this sort of knife. SO, while you could make it much thicker along the lines of a Zero Tolerance folder running Elmax…. I feel that this thickness really plays to Elmax's strengths regarding edge stability/retention.

Ohh the irony is thick, after I start the "Whats with all the resurrected old threads lately?" thread, someone resurrects my 2 year dead thread :eek:

This zombie thread is of course brought back in good taste ;)

For those who asked, during this thread,I was lucky enough to snag a BAD, and I love it, however since discovering the pork shank, it is by far my preferred hard use cary. You can't go wrong with any of these they are all great. I have this admittedly only semi-rational aversion to getting stainless steels in fixed blades so I will skip the max duty in elmax.

Last edited:
Doug. What the hell!!! How the hell. Where the hell.

hey man long time ! I had some wife in the hospital things that took me out of the action for awhile - but I am back and am enjoying every minute if it ;)

Woooooot!

Ohh the irony is thick, after I start the "Whats with all the resurrected old threads lately?" thread, someone resurrects my 2 year dead thread :eek:

This zombie thread is of course brought back in good taste ;)

I could not resist :D

Old pic of Meaners, Leaners, and Tweaners.
Sadly most have moved on to other members. Sad for me anyway.

another vote for the AMS. I like the longer handle and it is a bargain straight from Busse.

Well glad to see you and hope all is well!!!

GF - One kidney transplant later - yes she is doing well now. But the maze of attending to the bill is a whole nother matter....................

Last edited:
Back