Adding Pocket Clip to Buck Approach Folding Knife

Hello,

I would like to add a pocket clip to my Buck/Whittacker Approach folding knife, just like the one in the link. http://jbrucevoyles.com/Direct/DSCN0023.JPG

It's not an expensive knife, so I don't need a custom clip, but it was a gift so I would like to make it usable as an everyday carry knife. I found clips on KnifeKits.com for reasonable, but my question is about attaching the clip. The knife has pinned scales, so I can't take them off to drill and tap the knife. It does look like I could take the blade out, then try to drill the scales. Do you think that would work? Would I be able to get away with drilling it, then putting in a screw without running a tap through the holes? I don't know that I would be able to tap the drilled holes without removing the scales.

Thanks for any help or advice you have to offer.

it looks to be aluminum on top. Not sure the thickness but you would need to tap threads into the correct size hole to use a clip. Under the scales which on the one shown are green, there is likely a stainless liner so that will be a bit more difficult to drill but drilling it out is possible. However, I'd be careful not to go so deep as to thread into it too far. Stop short of going much past the aluminum and you could thread it.

Use a number drill in a number 48 size or you can use a 5/64 size drill and thread it using a thread forming tap for a 2-56 screw. Just be aware if you try to thread into the stainless too far it may snap the tap making it hard to back out the remaining broken piece if it lodges in the hole. Stay straight and you can thread it easy enough just use the proper stuff to do the hole.

Thanks STR for sharing your experience. I was hoping that the aluminum would be soft enough that I could just run a steel bolt into it without tapping it, but I see that that's not the case. I don't have a tap that small, but a friend who is a machinist said he does and can help me with it. I'd rather do it right and have good results. You are right, there is a steel backing plate below the aluminum scale, we'll try not to snap off the tap in the hole :)

A cobalt drill should go through both materials for you. I'd be sure to use cobalt tho for that steel. A regular drill may just get one hole done and then be worthless. Sometimes if thin they can pop a single for you but you all but ruin the drill. Tapping threads into the liner may work. Some do thread okay but use Molly D fluid on the tap and you know see what happens. If it goes south you can always plug the holes with epoxy putty and stick a screw and clip in there with vasiline all over it so it won't stick and actually thread the putty that way. Just use the good stuff they use to fix engine blocks. Flare up enough on the back side flash with a flat spatula of some kind or piece of wood and you have it plugged in there unmovable and if you are lucky and near a Hobby Lobby or something like that you may even find a putty that is green.

Back