Adhesion: Making Handle Scales Stick, and Stay Stuck, on Blade Tangs

My previous posts on another thread led to the conclusion that I should consolidate this discussion into a single thread. I have had time to type out more on this subject - and so am posting this. I am also re-posting the earlier material so that it is all in one place eventually. Apologies for the delay - but I will get through this all!

Post 1 (re-posted):
Ok … a mini discussion on Adhesion – for those who are interested….

There are more aspects to adhesion, and types of adhesive joints – but I will limit this post to those that are most likely to affect the tang/handle joint. Ever wondered how people make stuff stick to Teflon (a specifically non-stick substance)??? Hopefully by the end of this will you understand how.

I will try to cover the following issues that might affect your handle joint to the metal blade (remind me if I missed one :

· Surface cleanliness
· Residual organic chemicals in the handle material
· Surface flatness
· Surface roughness
· Glue bond thickness
· Mode of failure (tension, shear, peel)

So – there are two major contributing mechanisms that make an adhesive joint work: chemical interactions and mechanical interactions.

Chemical interactions are just that: chemical bonds between the glue and the surface(s) being bonded. If the glue forms these chemical bonds to each of the two surfaces, and is sufficiently strong in its body, then you have a successful joint. An example of this type of glue is cyanoacrylate (Krazy Glue). A great limitation on chemical bond based joints is the need for surface cleanliness – you want the glue to have direct intimate access to the active chemical sites on the material you are bonding to. Anything that gets in the way – especially organic chemicals of the oily or waxy type will do two things: 1) physically get in the way on the contact of glue to the surface, and 2) possibly compete for the active chemical sites of each, and reduce the number of chemical bonds between glue and surface (thus weakening the bond). Also, over time, these competing chemicals can compete with, and undo, successful bonds between glue and surface. Thus the practice of cleaning a surface with an organic chemical like denatured alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, or acetone – which “dissolves” surface organic oils/waxes and carries them away, leaving the bare surface to be bonded to.

There is, however, a “gotcha” on this: many plastic/resin based materials contain residual oils and other chemicals in the bulk of the material that are not bonded to the plastic or resin. Thus, even if you can successfully clean the surface of that stuff, and successfully create a bond using a chemical-bond based glue, these residual chemical in the bulk will (not can) over time migrate to the surface where the bond has been made. These chemicals compete with the chemical bonds between the surface and glue – and can “undo” those chemical bonds between glue and surface (technically this is a chemical active-site competition – which is the underlying principal behind all chemistry). So it is entirely possible that a joint will be made successfully, but then fall apart at a later time. Time is the enemy here – it might take a month or ten years …but that migration of chemicals in the bulk to the surface will occur.

Any material that has significant organic compounds can be subject to this migration effect of residual chemicals in the bulk material. These materials would include: fully synthetic (resin based) handles like Kirinite, manufactured materials like Dymondwood, resin stabilized wood of any type, and, I would believe, any highly resinous tropical wood (even if not stabilized). Also, purely chemical-interaction based bonds between disparate materials are just not that strong. Many materials, like Teflon, just do not like to make any chemical bonds to anything else. So, especially under the right circumstances (Mode of Failure – will cover later) purely chemical-bond based joints will easily fail.

All is not lost though: the other contributor to adhesion is mechanical interactions.

Post 2 (Mechanical interactions, more cleanliness, and flatness versus roughness)

The second, and arguably most important, contributor to adhesion is mechanical interaction. What is meant by this is a dimensional intertwining of differing materials, especially with vertical “up-and-down” irregularities (grooves), and “undercuts” in the underlying material.

If the adhesive (a solid, rigid one) is flowed onto that surface and fills these irregularities, the “grooves” act against sideways motion of the joint, and the “undercuts” act against vertical, “lifting” motions. If the bulk of the materials (both underlying material and adhesive) are themselves strong, a joint with these mechanical interactions is VERY strong.

Your dentist, when placing a filling, purposefully creates an undercut in the existing tooth before placing the filling material. These joints last a long time in very stressful conditions. Another, somewhat hybrid, example is Velcro: no chemical interactions at all – only mechanical, consisting of “intertwining” of materials on both sides – many of which are akin to “undercuts” – and the individual pieces of that material are quite flexible. Imagine what would happen if we had a Velcro that after you attach the two sides, the individual materials become rigid? You would never be able to separate the two sides. Another, related, example is any of the plastics that are called “thermo-moldable plastics.” These plastics are basically formed by long intertwined (NOT chemically bonded, also called “cross linked”) molecules (think long lengths of intertwined spaghetti or thread). They gain their rigidity from the quantity of the entanglement. When heated though, the chains become more “flexible” and able to slide past each other – hence their ability to be molded. As the chains get shorter (as they do as the plastic ages and degrades), they cross a threshold where that “entanglement” is not enough to hold the plastic together – and the thing becomes brittle. Any of you had anything made of plastic that, after 5-10 years, all of a sudden became brittle and broke? The above is what happened to that plastic.

Epoxy is a really good example of an adhesive that relies on this type of mechanical interaction. When first mixed, it is quite liquid – and easily can be made to flow into the nooks and crannies of the surfaces it is joining. When cured though (that curing process includes extensive cross-linking between molecules) it becomes extremely rigid – and because of the cross linking, heat does not tend to soften epoxy. If you have enough crevasses and undercuts in the surfaces, those babies become literally locked in place – resisting both lateral (sliding) motion, as well as “lifting” motions. Oh – and the longer-time curing epoxies produce more cross-linking, and hence are stronger than your typical “5-minute” epoxies.

Of course, for this to work, you need to SUPPLY those surface crevasses and undercuts. An extremely smooth surface will have only chemical interactions between the adhesive and the surface – and as said above, those chemical interactions are actually pretty weak. You supply them in two ways: having them present in the first place, and also by making them accessible.

Supplying them: most easily done by sanding. Both surfaces. The rougher the better. I would go at the surfaces with 60 grit sandpaper. By hand. Using circular motions. The circular motion both creates opportunity for more undercuts, and it also creates gouges in all directions – thus protecting against lateral stresses in all directions (linear lines from a belt sander will not accomplish the same thing.). Don’t be timid – make sure the entire surface is roughed up.

Making them available means making sure the surfaces mate as fully as possible – which in this case means get the surfaces as flat as possible. Thought experiment: a handle scale that is highly concave will only really have contact with the tang on the outer edges. The amount of contact is much higher if the scale is flat – forcing those carefully crafted nooks and crannies (on both tang and scale) to be filled with the adhesive, producing a stronger overall bond. Surface cleanliness is also important here: if those carefully crafted nooks and crannies are filled with liquid (oils/waxes) or loose crud, those inhibit the adhesive from fully penetrating and filling those void spaces, greatly reducing the resulting mechanical interactions.

“Flatness” versus “roughness” is actually a pretty vague distinction. Even in highly technical situations, there are a great many different “definitions” of roughness (ex. Max difference between low point and high point, mean height of valley walls, average height of same, root-mean-square of same, and many others). In this case, it is probably best to think about things in terms of scale. If the surface is uneven on the large scale of the overall dimensions of the part, it is not “flat”. I will stick with recommending “roughness” in terms of the texture that can be generated with that 60 grit sandpaper. If you take that approach to thinking about it, you will both make texture (“nooks and crannies”) available, and maximize the opportunity for glue to be pushed into that texture.

So … how do you make stuff stick to Teflon? You roughen the surface. Often this is done using a high energy electrical plasma to etch the surface. If you look at an etched Teflon surface under an electron microscope, it looks crazed, almost burned, … with lots of fissures opened up in the surface. These fissures allow for mechanical bonding interactions in the same way (but at a smaller scale) as roughening the tang and scale with course sandpaper does.

(EDIT: i forgot to add that well developed mechanical interaction protects you from the loss of chemical bonding that results from bulk oils migrating back to the surface. Once cured the adhesive is rigid, and those oils migrating back to the surface cant displace the adhesive. The (less important) chemical interactions will be degraded, but the mechanical interactions remain intact and strong!)

Enough for now I think. Next up: “thinner is better”, “stop worrying about squeezing/clamping too hard”, and mode of failure

Last edited:
Post 1 (re-posted):

Chemical interactions are just that: chemical bonds between the glue and the surface(s) being bonded. If the glue forms these chemical bonds to each of the two surfaces, and is sufficiently strong in its body, then you have a successful joint. An example of this type of glue is cyanoacrylate (Krazy Glue). A great limitation on chemical bond based joints is the need for surface cleanliness – you want the glue to have direct intimate access to the active chemical sites on the material you are bonding to. Anything that gets in the way – especially organic chemicals of the oily or waxy type will do two things: 1) physically get in the way on the contact of glue to the surface, and 2) possibly compete for the active chemical sites of each, and reduce the number of chemical bonds between glue and surface (thus weakening the bond). Also, over time, these competing chemicals can compete with, and undo, successful bonds between glue and surface. Thus the practice of cleaning a surface with an organic chemical like denatured alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, or acetone – which “dissolves” surface organic oils/waxes and carries them away, leaving the bare surface to be bonded to.

Just a quick note, there arent any chemical bonds between the glue and the metal or the substrate. Only physical ones.

A chemical bond is when a new compound is formed that links two surfaces toegther. In an epoxy glue, a chemical reaction turns two seperate chemicals that are both liquids into a new chemical, a solid resin. But between the epoxy and the surface there is no chemical bond. Rather through adhesive forces "Forces that attract dissimilar materials" and a lot of van der walls forces, which are simply the forces of attraction of any two materials in close contact with eachother. When applied to a rough surface, since the epoxy goes on as a liquid and cures, it makes very intimate contact with the metal and other handle substrate and thus has a very high degree of van der walls interaction holding it to the material in question.

...there arent any chemical bonds between the glue and the metal or the substrate. Only physical ones ...A chemical bond is when a new compound is formed that links two surfaces together ....between epoxy and the surface there is no chemical bond. Rather ..."Forces that attract dissimilar materials" ...
For current purposes (subject area and extremely varied audience) I am consciously trying to keep this very high level, and not distinguish between covalent bonds and other interactions that tend to keep molecules in proximity to each other (as you said Van der Waals, but also Hydrogen Bonds, Ionic Bonds, etc.). A Hydrogen Bond is called a "bond" - but it is not covalent - so this is really a matter of semantics - they are all attractions that are based on chemistry, versus a literally mechanical intertwinement/engagement. It is only that latter distinction I am making here.

If it would help, I will edit to eliminate the word "bond" and stick strictly with "chemical interaction" - which I agree is probably more acceptable in the general case. The basic point remains that chemical interactions (however you want to name them) remain able to be interfered with by other substances that might migrate from the bulk of the material ( yes, even covalent bonds can be broken), whereas mechanical interactions/entanglements tend to be both stronger, and not able to be interfered with by chemicals migrating back to the bonding interface)

(Chemistry and Physics Nerd Aside: there are some, but very few, bonding situations where there are actually covalent bonds formed between adhesive and surface (I have known them in the distant past, but cant site them explicitly right now :-( ) ... but the vast majority are as Ben states - non-covalent "bonds" (or "interactions") like Hydrogen Bonds, Ionic Bonds, Van der Walls forces, Ionic Bonds, etc). But as said above, in the scheme of things these are relatively weak. There are some adhesion situations where the "adhesive" is not even present in the end (when you use "plastic glue" to attach two pieces of plastic, you are literally using the "adhesive" to "dissolve" the top surface of the plastics so that the polymer chains on either side literally intertwine with each other at the molecular level. When the "adhesive" (really just a solvent) evaporates, what is left is a continuously entangled polymer system. The same thing is accomplished with "ultrasonic welding" of plastics (common in plastic toys, but also use widely in consumer items): two pieces are placed next to each other, ultrasonic energy is applied that generates enough heat at the plastic/plastic interface to melt the two (allowing the molecules to intertwine in the same way a solvent does), and you are then left, again, with a continuously intertwined polymer chains at the interface). Sometimes both chemical and mechanical interactions are not important at all (ever had two pieces of glass stuck together? What is holding them together (mostly) is the fact that outside air has been pushed out of the interface, and atmospheric pressure on the sides of the glass is pushing the two together. Put those two pieces of glass into a vacuum chamber, pull a vacuum on it ... and they simply slide apart (i have seen this demonstrated - it is really cool :) ). Even had your boot stuck in the mud? same idea. Adhesion overall is COMPLICATED.... )

C Cushing H. What if we use mechanical fastener like on this knife ?I use polyurethane seal as glue between handles and tang on that knife? Is it epoxy still best choice in case like this or there is better way to seal tang and handles .What do you think about polyurethane glue for example ?
FGfjVh9.jpg

Natlek - i have some thoughts on this, but am an my iphone right now... and my fingers just di not work well on this keyboard. Will respond fully later...

Natlek - first - cool knife. the handle is ... cocobolo??????

I do not have a great deal of personal experience with polyurethane glues (but do have some ... in a totally different hobby). they share some things in common with epoxies, in that they are applied as a relatively low viscosity liquid, and then they polymerize (actually "cross-link"). a couple specific comments" epoxies start their cross linking when you mix the two parts together (and not before). Polyurethanes have their cross linking initiated by moisture. the result is that epoxies will wait for a long time before you use them, and their performance is basically the same later as it was when they were new. On the other hand, once you open a bottle of polyurethane glue, it starts cross linking ... and the timer is running. just-now opened glue used earlier will perform better than glue opened several months previously (because you can NOT keep moisture away, and it starts cross linking, to some extent, the second you open the container.,

All that being equal, and assuming you are talking about using "fresh" polyurethane at all times - there is a significant difference between epoxy and polyurethane glues: polyurethane glues tend to "foam". Now - there are at least two repercussion of that: first is that with polyurethane adhesives you had better have your pieces clamped very securely together (looks like you do with your "mechanical fasteners") else the "foaming action" will try to force them apart, and second, foam is "bubbles" ... which in the next post I am intending to write constitute "defects". Defects weaken the structural integrity of the bulk adhesive. Epoxies do neither - they do not foam (dont generate bubbles), and do not try to force the bonded pieces apart (technically, when epoxies cure, they tend to maintain the same volume as had the two mixed constituents, or "parts".).

All that being equal, both epoxies and polyurethanes take advantage of the same basic idea: they are applied in a liquid form (which allows them to fill grooves and gouges in the surfaces, then they cross link and become hard - creating the enduring mechanical interactions/entanglements of good adhesive joints. Definitely though - epoxies have a longer shelf life (because the exposure to moisture starts degrading the polyurethanes.

I am kind of going around in circles just trying to describe the chemical issues - so lets try this: polyurethanes are probably pretty equivalent to epoxies IF: 1) you are able to clamp very , very stably to overcome the foaming (which I think your mechanical fasteners do), 2) you are willing to deal with/clean up, the foaming that might spill out the sides of the joint, 3) the polyurethane joints might be marginally less strong than eopxies (due to the bubbles) - BUT you might never see the difference if the stresses applied to the handle are not enough to trigger failure due to the presence of the bubbles (still need to talk about mode of failure...).

Does that help at all - or just confuse things more for you??????

Last edited:
Thanks for explanation about polyurethane glue . The handle is ebony and I use polyurethane sealant on that handle . I use that thing im my daily job .If it can hold on oil pan 20 years I was thinking it was good to seal handle .I use that polyurethane seal on ceramic tile platen for one of my grinder, when I try to take of ceramic tile plate to install ceramic glass it was very hard to do.That polyurethane sealant I use is very thick and hold very good on ceramic/glass and on steel .
Njw6uOQ.jpg

Last edited:
Natlek - sorry if i misunderstood - i thought you had asked about glue? As for polyurethane sealant ... i know very little about them. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the sealants are more flexible than the glues? Also if they are really thick, they might not fill surface roughness as well as the thinner glues. If you clamp well and tightly enough, those issues might not make any noticeable difference. Adhesion is extremely dependent on circumstances (mode of failure), so i am afraid trying it, and your experience, will be the best guide... (on that note, the platen and ceramic tile are pretty rigid, whereas the knife blade is more flexible - which might allow your joint to fail by “peeling” from one side as the blade flexes. But again, i dont know if the difference between polyurethane sealant and epoxy would make a difference. It just occured to me (thanks!) that this is an argument for a soldered on bolster ... will try to remember to talk about that later!)

No problem :thumbsup: Actually I ask about polyurethane glue because I never used that . Thanks again for explanation....
When cured polyurethane sealant act as rubber /has excellent elasticity / so I think that is good property for this application .I need to use that knife for some period and see how will behave/hold .
Thanks again :thumbsup:

Last edited:
If it can hold on oil pan 20 years I was thinking it was good to seal handle .

Just be careful that the producer didn't change the formula for cheaper inputs to increase their profits....

Third Post:

Thinner is better:

There has been some discussion about not clamping glued scales too hard, for fear of “squeezing out all the adhesive.” My point here is that you should not NEED to worry about that. The first point here is that, if the surface has been suitable roughened to produce scratches, “nooks” and “crannies”, those surface features should act as “reservoirs” – holding the adhesive and protecting it from being squeezed out of the interface. Sure, if the surfaces are really smooth, you can squeeze out most of the adhesive, but you do not WANT the surfaces to be that smooth.

The second point here, which is initially counter-intuitive but makes sense after it is explained, is that the thinner the layer of adhesive, the stronger the joint between the two surfaces. The reason for this is that in the realm of failure mechanisms, and this is a very widely applicable statement, failure of anything (metals, plastics, adhesives, etc etc), the initial point of failure always begins at a defect. These “defects”, depending on the situation, could be a scratch on a surface, an inclusion (i.e. foreign object) in the material, a void (i.e. a “bubble”) in the material, etc. It is for this reason that airplane engine turbine blades are regularly inspected for surface defects. It is why you can “scribe” the surface of a piece of glass and then break the glass cleanly by bending it along the line of the scribe, etc.

Here is the key point in adhesion: defects are always present in the adhesive layer (bubbles, dust and other foreign particles, etc) … and the less adhesive present, the fewer the total number of defects (statistically speaking) are likely to be present … on the other hand, the more defects that are present the greater the probability that one of them is just in the wrong place (in terms of the stresses placed on the joint), and also the greater the probability that one of the defects is particularly “bad” in some way (much bigger, more irregular with sharp corners, etc).

Ever heard the phrase “the weak link”? This comes from the workings of a chain, which is made of independent links strung together. When pulled, all of the links see the same amount of stress. However, not all links are created equal: some are stronger, some are weaker, and that strength characteristic follows a statistical distribution of some sort. All such distributions allow for a small number of elements that are way-way out there. The longer the chain, the greater the raw number of links are in it, and the greater raw likelihood that one of those really, really weak links gets included in the chain. Thus, the longer the chain, the weaker it is overall – because the chain WILL break at that weakest link.

The same is true with adhesive layers: it will likely fail at the weakest point – and by making the layer thinner, you reduce the likelihood of having a really, really bad defect present in the layer. So go ahead and clamp aggressively – just make sure you have present the surface roughness so that the adhesive does not actually all get squeezed out.

Mode of failure:

The strength of an adhesive joint is extremely dependent on the stresses placed on it. Let me say that again: the strength of an adhesive joint is extremely dependent on the stresses placed on it.

Typically, we can think about three basic ways of stressing an adhesive joint: “normal” (pulling straight up perpendicular to the surface). Lateral or “shear” (pushing sideways), and “peel” (i.e. pulling up only on one edge). Depending on the joint configuration, these three modes of failure, for a single joint, can have very different strengths.

Consider, for example, a surface that has been roughened by sanding only in one direction, and in a way where few or no undercuts. If you try to pull “straight up” on one side, there are basically no mechanical interactions between adhesive and surface resisting that pull – and you are only left with whatever chemical interactions were created (which are relatively weak). That interface could be pulled apart fairly easily. Now, consider that you try to shear the interface (push from the side), but do so in the direction that the sanded grooves run. Again, there are few or no mechanical interactions to resist that stress, and the joint will fail fairly easily. NOW consider that you shear (push from the side), but do so perpendicularly to the directions of the sanded grooves. In this case, you have adhesive inside of the groove being pushed against the side of the groove – they “bump” against each other. This is considerable mechanical interaction – and the joint will be much stronger against failure with this mode of stress.

On the other hand, a joint with well developed mechanical interactions, and especially “undercuts”, if you just try to pull the surfaces apart (normally), the force of that pull is distributed among all of the “undercuts” (they are in “parallel” to the stress), so that each undercut has a much smaller force placed on it – with the result that no one of them is likely to exceed its individual strength. In this situation, the joint is extremely strong against perpendicular stresses.

The same type of argument can be made to sideways (shear) forces: if (and I really do mean “if”) the material being bonded is rigid enough, then the sideways force is distributed among all of the activated mechanical interactions, so that each mechanical interaction only needs to withstand a pretty small stress. This is NOT true of the bonded material is flexible. In this case , the applied force gets concentrated to the mechanical interactions present near the edge being pulled on – and thus are more likely to fail.

This latter example is most akin to “peel” – where only one edge of the thing has a normal stress applied to it. In this case, ALL of the normal stress is placed on the few mechanical interactions in the immediate vicinity of the edge – and so each of these individual mechanical interactions have a great amount of stress placed on them, and so are likely to exceed their strength. When they fail, the concentrated stress is then passed on to the mechanical interaction next in line along the surface of the interface, its strength is exceeded, and it fails, and so on. The interface “unzips” from one edge to the other. The ability to withstand “peel” forces is the weakest strength of any adhesive bond.

How might this be applied directly to knife handles? A few points come to mind…

Warpage of handle material (after being applied to the tang) will likely apply a normal stress to the adhesive joint. The joint will be able to withstand some of that – but as Ben will tell you, the developed stresses in wood due to moisture loss are extremely large – hence comes the common knowledge that you should get your wood stable (in terms of moisture content) before you attach it to a tang. Loss of moisture will also cause general shrinkage of the wood – which will cause a lateral stress on the adhesive joint. Same point and resolution as above for warpage.

But also again, if the joint is suitable prepared with sufficient surface texture and the adhesive layer is suitably thin, you will increase its strength to hopefully better withstand any stress that will (not may) be placed on the joint due to handle expansion or shrinkage.

I said above that the adhesive joints are weakest when “peel” type stresses are placed on them. For a working knife, when you use the blade, you will apply some level of “bending” stress to the blade. This will be seen at the location of the handle as a “bending” right at the junction of the handle and blade – which is identical to a “peel” stress. In this case, the thinner the blade material, the more bending, and the greater the amount of peel stress applied to that edge of the handle. How to address this? Use the blade more gently (reduce the stress), or use thicker blade material. Another thing that occurs to me after Natlek’s question is that you can protect from this stress by using a metal bolster that is securely attached (typically soldered?) to the blade. Because the back side (handle side) of the bolster is typically perpendicular to the blade, if the handle material is securely bonded (per everything said above) to the backside of the bolster – the stresses at that location will be in shear (not peel) between the handle and the bolster. Because shear resistance is much stronger than peel resistance, this will then protect the handle against adhesive failure due to bending of the blade.

Ok … I think this last post ends up completing all the points I initially stated I would try to cover. Hopefully you (and future knifemakers) will find this understandable and helpful. Please do chime in with any questions.

There has been some discussion about not clamping glued scales too hard, for fear of “squeezing out all the adhesive.” My point here is that you should not NEED to worry about that. The first point here is that, if the surface has been suitable roughened to produce scratches, “nooks” and “crannies”, those surface features should act as “reservoirs” – holding the adhesive and protecting it from being squeezed out of the interface. Sure, if the surfaces are really smooth, you can squeeze out most of the adhesive, but you do not WANT the surfaces to be that smooth.

This is great stuff. Sounds like if you can drill some "epoxy pin holes" in the tang, then take it to a 2'' wheel and hollow out the center of the tang with a low grit belt... you have a fool proof adhesion.

This is great stuff. Sounds like if you can drill some "epoxy pin holes" in the tang, then take it to a 2'' wheel and hollow out the center of the tang with a low grit belt... you have a fool proof adhesion.
I would be careful about hollowing out. Remember you still need to keep the overall contact surface flat, and keep the thickness of the adhesive layer as thin as you can. The secret is roughness on the scale of 60 grit sandpaper. Hollowing out “violates” the flatness criteria..,
(EDIT- to be a little more specific: im not sure about the value of pin holes. They would retain epoxy, but only in the limited locations where they exist (plus they create a thick layer of epoxy there). Hollowing out the tang is exactly what you should NOT do, as this reduces the locations of intimate contact between handle and tang...)

Last edited:
I would be careful about hollowing out. Remember you still need to keep the overall contact surface flat, and keep the thickness of the adhesive layer as thin as you can. The secret is roughness on the scale of 60 grit sandpaper. Hollowing out “violates” the flatness criteria..,
(EDIT- to be a little more specific: im not sure about the value of pin holes. They would retain epoxy, but only in the limited locations where they exist (plus they create a thick layer of epoxy there). Hollowing out the tang is exactly what you should NOT do, as this reduces the locations of intimate contact between handle and tang...)

10-4... ouch.. That's what I've been doing

Last edited:
Me too, hollowing out an epoxy reservoir has been widely recommended around here, as well as numerous epoxy pin holes, will be considering this point very closely. Question: peel forces on very thin flexible blades like fillet and kitchen slicer knives with or without bolsters. How can we minimize the risk of failure in these cases? More mechanical pins maybe?

Also it sounds like the recommendation of cross hatching is an important key correct? How do we go about creating the undercuts?

BTW thanks very much for this, very interesting.

Back