"Adhesive Wear Resistance?"

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have been tinkering with handle shaping over the past few months, and now I am thinking of grinding a bevel, for the first time in about 20 years. I don't even remember what steel I used 20 years ago. I would like to do a small neck knife or utility/EDC.

Today I started comparing fact sheets for different steels. I came across the terms "abrasive" vs. "adhesive wear resistance."

The Bohler K110 does not seem to compare well for "adhesive wear resistance," although it looks good in "abrasive wear resistance." I had the impression that D2 was really good, until I looked over that fact sheet. Ugh. Is "adhesive" wear resistance a huge factor? Am I over-analyzing my choice?

BTW, I don't plan on doing any heat treating.

Thanks.

Adhesive wear resistance means nothing for knives.
With something like a shear press especially when aluminum is sheared , the sheared metal may adhere to the die and cause abnormal wear on the die.You will note on some of those steels that surface treatments such as nitriding can be done after HT .This will reduce adhesive wear, as the soft metal doesn't adhere much to the hardened surface.

Back