• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Advice and Recommedations for Childs Survival Kit

Paleo25,
"maybe some hard candy" Not being mailicous but please reconsider that, a sobbing child could easily end up choking to death on a Jolly Rancher or peppermint disc... I pack cereal bars for my kids as they fill the tummy just a bit and are not affected by heat/cold like candy bars(ever pull a Snickers out of the fridge and have a bite!! LOL!!). If you use energy bars/granola- check the ingredients- I am highly allergic to almonds/ my kids are to peanuts and many of these bars use concentrated extracts that could trigger an allergy in a little one.
Thinking about buying the roll of 200 orange bags and selling the excess off...
Bill

Update on the "kids-and-whistles" subject: Last night, while my wife was out shopping (and thus would not be annoyed by the experiment), I had my 2-, 4-, and 6-year-olds demonstrate their whistles. The 2 elder ones were quite capable of making decent sounds with their Fox 40 Micros (though, as I type this, I wonder if they wouldn't do better with a Storm brand whistle). I'm pleased to say that the 2-year-old, who couldn't make the Fox 40 Micro work, got a respectable (but not super) "tweet" out of the Storm whistle.

Imalterna,

If you just need a few orange bags do first see if you can get them from your local highway department before investing in a bunch of them. I got a bunch because of my ongoing involvement with Cub/Boy/Girl Scouts.

Ken

While looking through a catalogue recently i came upon instant beverages in a self heating cup.

I immediately thought of this tread, thinking that something ,ike inspant hot coco without fire would be a novel addition to a childs PSK as a psychological boost.

www.sportsmansguide.com

I've tried those things myself. They got barely lukewarm, no matter how closely you followed the directions, and the cans were about as heavy as more than twice the quantity of water.

Maybe it'd work well for boating in warmer climates or something, but here in Alaska it didn't seem any better than my water bottle I kept on the dash of the work truck with the defrost on high, and the weight penalty was ginormous.

Not to poo-poo anyones ideas, just figured I'd mention my experience with it.:o Unfortunately one of the many neat sounding ideas out there that just doesn't work as advertised, IMHO.

Update on the "kids-and-whistles" subject: Last night, while my wife was out shopping (and thus would not be annoyed by the experiment), I had my 2-, 4-, and 6-year-olds demonstrate their whistles. The 2 elder ones were quite capable of making decent sounds with their Fox 40 Micros (though, as I type this, I wonder if they wouldn't do better with a Storm brand whistle). I'm pleased to say that the 2-year-old, who couldn't make the Fox 40 Micro work, got a respectable (but not super) "tweet" out of the Storm whistle.

Nice work, as that is entirely the point with the whistles.:thumbup:

Skam

Back