Advice needed ,back yard is infested! !

Just a little update . My dad was in the pest control business but he's been dead a long time now . I reached out to an old coworker of my dad's and got some advice on what to use .

Fast forward and me and my step dad both got a sprayer and loaded them up with demon wp. Which is what the friend of my dad's recommended.

My stepdad focused on the siding of the house around the windows etc . I hit the back yard and we made sure we covered as much as we could with the spray.

Before we sprayed , we cut down my wife's bushes and all that . We keep the grass low but I mowed just in case before hand . Got my kids toys up etc . Basically removed anywhere would be an escape for the bugs ,cut the bushes and such back .

I guess it's already working pretty good . We have one spot that since we've been here there's been spider webs running from the house to the air unit , no webs there .

Also talked my neighbor into cleaning up their yard , at least the marsh/swamp part of it . Their idea of cleaning was burning their brush piles but I'll take what I can get right now .

Diatomaceous earth

That was going to be my response. Doesn't matter if its dry or swampy. Spread it around the house 3-4 feet out and make sure you don't have any plants actually up against the building. Same with the pool, and other areas the kids are in. It won't hurt them at all.

Still, you probably want to make sure you don't have any mosquito breeding standing water, and every lawn should be treated for grubs, etc at least once a year. That should remove most of the pests.

Diatomaceous earth, pool filter media, is chalky to humans and pets but mini razor blades to insects. Look it up on how best to apply.

^^ This ^^

But.....
Don't use the pool filter media. Go to Home Depot, or Lowes, or a garden store, and buy the food grade stuff. Does the exact same thing, but is perfectly safe should you, your kid, or your pets inhale or ingest it.

We recently had a nasty flea infestation in the house. Spread it on all the carpets every few days, then vacuumed. Worked like a charm.

Spread it around your yard every few days, paying special attention around the edges of the house, and any nooks and crannies the bugs like to live in. Lots of info to be had online, and it's one of the few home remedies that even exterminators will recommend.

I have used 7 for years. I buy the big bag and just spread it along side the pool and the house. Then broadcast the rest into the yard. I have NEVER had a bug issue since I started using it. I have all kinds of rabbits, squirrels, and every other furry thing in the yard with no ill effects.

What would Billy the Exterminator do? He would use pyrethrum insecticide probably, but I would do research on that before using.
What you can do is put the insecticide into a spray bottle, and open the nozzle wide, so that you get a jet and not a spray / mist. Head outside every night with a torch and spray the ones you can see. Then at least you aren't fogging the whole yard. Pyrethyrum works pretty well on spiders, and is a natural product. You could also spray the deck with a surface spray, which will work for months, and kill any widows that stray onto the surface of the deck. Good luck.

Baking soda kills critters. You can make a mix and spray, or sprinkle it on them.

Hey guys need some advice here . I live in the south . I have a pool in the backyard as well as this is where my daughter plays but here's my problem.

The backyard is getting overrun with Spyders mainly and other insects .

I've considered poisons or something like that but we live kind of out from people and in a valley . Along with the Souder and other bugs we also have all kinds of wildlife here from rabbits to deer to turtles and frogs.

Don't want to spray or dust the yard and take a chance on killing the wildlife or having something that could make our daughter or our dogs sick either .

Not really looking to call a pro unless I haft to ,I'd rather do it myself .

Had black widows in one of my buildings so I set off bug bombs in the buildings problem now is the yard .

Doing nothing is not really an option because I have my kid as well as other kids in my yard all the time . Any advice is appreciated
My advice would be to buy one of these: https://www.xproducts.com/product/xm42-flamethrower/
I'll leave the rest up to your imagination... ;) Your welcome!

If conditions are right bugs will multiply at a fantastic rate! Research the spread of ticks in 2015 . Many states were at the time considered " tick free " and Lyme free. That ended in 2015. Indiana was one of the tick free states but no more .Migrating birds can spread ticks from continent to continent ! Finally people and doctors took Lyme seriously.
Change their environment . Trim lawns close, cut down brush. Drain wet areas. Encourage bug eaters .

This year I found out that the frontline tick and flea med. for dogs has stopped working.

Jake was losing his mind and I thought I was going to have to take him to the vet, itching, running and hiding, really weird.

My girlfriends customer told her that most flea and tick medicine stopped working even frontline, the critters adapted to it.

(Seresto) was what was said to work, cheaper than frontline and it's a collar you put on your loved one that last, I think, 8 months.

It took about a week for it to kick in, and Jake is very happy and back to normal.

This year I found out that the frontline tick and flea med. for dogs has stopped working.

Jake was losing his mind and I thought I was going to have to take him to the vet, itching, running and hiding, really weird.

My girlfriends customer told her that most flea and tick medicine stopped working even frontline, the critters adapted to it.

(Seresto) was what was said to work, cheaper than frontline and it's a collar you put on your loved one that last, I think, 8 months.

It took about a week for it to kick in, and Jake is very happy and back to normal.
I work with animals and Frontline is definitely ineffective at this point. Advantage 2 and Revolution are the only 2 topicals I would recommend. The oral meds seem to be effective, but I don't have a lot of first hand experience with them and the Seresto collars you mentioned are the only flea collars that work worth a damn.

That Demon XP stuff is tha business! Like some have said, I'd go birdhouse, bathouse & leave mud dobers nest alone.
Mud dobers eat thousands of spiders.
Less spiders = more insects.
More insects = more lizards, toads, geckos, birds, bats & dragonflies.

Back