Advice needed: chopper/machete for fishing

A friend and fellow New Yorker recently took up fly-fishing while spending time in the SW for work. He is now considering picking up a machete to get through patches of brush/brambles.
Though smaller than your typical machete, my first thought went to the LC as perhaps a more nimble option to carry for this kind of occasional use.
My biggest knife is an HDFK and I have zero experience with choppers/machetes.
Your thoughts and recommendations (CPK or other, if that is permitted) are much appreciated.
Thanks!

Svord Kiwi machete. Light 12 inch machete that is tough as nails, carbon steel, with a hi-viz plastic grip. Perfect for what you are asking and if he loses it, then he is out less than $70.

Thanks Mink Mink !

I should have mentioned that he indicated to his gf that he wanted one as his birthday present, which is why I immediately went for one of the “nicer”/pricier options. That is not to say that a less expensive one isn’t the best for this particular purpose.

ETA: the gift would be from his gf, not me - I mean, I think I’m a generous guy but... :eek:

Last edited:
LC is tailor made for the intended purpose, but where's you buddy going to find one and even if he does, he will be paying way of the original sticker price. Just like Mink has suggested, look into a 12 inch(ish) high carbon steel, which is both light and nimble plus being a cinch to resharpen often and easily kept sharp. If he's not experiences with larger knives, dinging, damaging and even worse losing a sub $100 blade is not a catastrophe (to some, most?).

Thanks Mink Mink !

I should have mentioned that he indicated to his gf that he wanted one as his birthday present, which is why I immediately went for one of the “nicer”/pricier options. That is not to say that a less expensive one isn’t the best for this particular purpose.

ETA: the gift would be from his gf, not me - I mean, I think I’m a generous guy but... :eek:

It's OK Oysie! It's now 2018 and most of us are no longer judgy, or at least pretend not to be! :D

Ha!
We’re not all investment bankers here in NYC. Most of us are just scraping to get by...

Had you been a whiz NYC investment banker, I'd be expecting you to send a signed blank check over to Jo, so that the CPK-CFO would instruct Nathan to buy at least 4 x more Mori machines!

Had you been a whiz NYC investment banker, I'd be expecting you to send a signed blank check over to Jo, so that the CPK-CFO would instruct Nathan to buy at least 4 x more Mori machines!
And if that meant I was guaranteed one of every new model, I’d consider it a great ROI...

Cheap: Ontario machete

Not cheap: Huntsman Knife Co Machete in 3V

Step up: CPK LC....not a machete but it can do many tasks passably. Mine fills more roles than any other blade I have. Even has a place in the kitchen, haha. My favorite big knife overall.

I haven't used one but I've been eyeing a BRK Golok forever... I've just had QC issues from that company and feel a little burned still. Never been unhappy with anything from Ontario, Huntsman or CPK (of course).

I've also been eyeing that Fjord Golok in L6, not too expensive either.

Scott Gossman is going to produce a 12" or so thin bladed Tusker soon....I can't wait for one of those!!!! That should be another great option.

Eta: I can't wait for my pair of BC'S....... I'll likely get a bit tired from using them as machetes though they should be great for sending some wood chips flying!

never tried fishing with a machete, think I'll try it. Sounds pretty badass
Haha! Thought that it might sound funny after I wrote it but decided to leave it as it was sure to get attention.
Just wanted to set the scene for the intended use of the knife: probably not hiking overly long distances and carrying other gear...
But, yeah, if he was planning to randomly slash the water or throw the knife into the stream in the hope of getting a fish that way, well, a CPK wouldn’t exactly be my first choice...

throw the knife into the stream in the hope of getting a fish that way

so that's why the creek out behind the Carothers' is full of knives!

someone should fish those out of there...

And all this time we thought it was part of corrosion testing... who knew?!

But, yeah, if he was planning to randomly slash the water or throw the knife into the stream in the hope of getting a fish that way, well, a CPK wouldn’t exactly be my first choice...
Loop some high test line through the lanyard hole and you’re good to go!

Well, guess I'll be "that guy" and say Busse would have some excellent options as well. While a CPK would also be my first choice, I've been after a LC for a month to no avail. But a battle mistress or fsh in battle grade would clear anything between your friend and that fish. Plus, plenty of second hand unused are around all the time. My $0.02.

Back