Advice on buying Dremel please?

Any Dremel experts out there?
I'm about to buy a Dremel (or similar tool, I only know of the Dremel) and wondered if any users could throw in their opinions.
As well as a bit of polishing and light grinding on blades, it'll be used for just about everything so I want to get one that I won't think about changing after a year.
I'll always be working near an outlet so is the cordless neccessary?
I would choose between the cordless 7800, or the mains 395 or 3981.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

apologies for cross post in gadgets and gear forum.

Zardoz,

I'm on Dremel #3! I have had two Multipro's conk out. The first one was in the first thirty days and I exchanged it. The second one died a year in and I lost the receipt. SOL. I think the problem with them was the mechanical switch on the on/off/speed dial.

Number three is the Digital model. It costs more, but (hopefully) the solid state switch will be bullet-proof. I just carved, sanded, and polished a knife handle out of cocobolo with nary a complaint. I burnt out three burrs on the wood, but the motor keeps on spinning.

I like the tool, but I would recommend buying the Digital!

Cheers,
BillyJoeBob

I'd also add you want to look at the flexible shaft. The handpiece is narrow which allows you to get the edge of a polishing wheel into places you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Since I got one I haven't used anything else.

Harbor Freight sells a set of about 20 diamond grinding tips for $3 on sale. I've bought several but am still on the first one. I've used it on almost everything for a year and haven't worn out the first burr. Good deal.

But really - wouldn't you really rather have a Foredom machine? :D Watch eBay, some go through there very low priced.

Dave

I`ve got two..a craftsman ( sears ) and a dremel multi speed unit with a flex shaft..since I put the flex shaft on a year and a half ago I haven`t taken it off. you lose a bit of power with the flex shaft, but it sure is handy...never had much problem with it except sometimes if I max the "speed switch" out, the dremel will actually quit, till I turn the speed down a bit.
All in all..great little tool, handy as heck! but I think if I was to do it again I`d go with the fordom, or some little air grinder.

I've got the Dremel multi-speed with the flex shaft. I like it, though it never really sees heavy use. If you plan on doing heavier work go for the foredom. Also, at work I use the Black and Decker copy of the dremel. Now that thing has been put through some abuse and it still keeps on going. They are usually pretty cheap price-wise at Home depot.

If it was me I would buy a Foredom about $200.
Or a look a like I think Grizzly & Harborfreight
has them for $50 or so

I really liked my Black and Decker one, but I killed it, so now have the old dremel from work that's missing the knob(I have to turn it off and cahnge speeds with a screwdriver jammed in there. :) )

The Black and Decker was great, and I'd still be using it if I was smart enough to pay attention to it's limitations. Was making first knife out of a file and was REALLY laying into the grinding, and broke it up on the inside. Now I have bel tgrinder so don't do stupid thigns like that, works great for getting in little places like finger grooves and stuff though.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've been hunting around on the net and although I've found ones from B&D, Rotozip, Minicraft and Bosch, I think I'll probably go for the 3981 kit.
The Dremel seems to have been around a long time, and spares and repairs look easier. Their site even has an owner's club and forum!
The big Foredoms look good though.
Cheers

Hello Zardoz, I would say go for the Foredom. I have two dremels and a foredom. The two dremels are just sitting there now. I really like the variable speed foot controller and the reversing switch. They are well made units and can use most of the dremel bits. I have had mine for over two years and no problems at all. Most of the major knifemaker supply places have them and always check Ebay. This is just my two pennies worth.

Yep, Foredom is the one if you don't mind the extra expense.

thier $200 model will take care of you running all day. the flex shaft and other bits make it the most versitale tool. and you won't burn the thing out. dremel are for hobbest. foredom is a industrial grade machine.

You can't beat the foredom tool. If you don't want to spend that much money go with the harbor freight knockoff. they are great for 50 bucks. no reverse and louder than the foredom but still a good buy

Don't get the cordless model and make sure the one you get is variable speed. Thats the best advice I can give on Dremels.The variable speed models will be more useful than you can imagine. The things have about a gazillion uses in and around the shop and home.

That Foredom sounds really sweet too. Variable speed foot controller, more power than Dremel and reverse switch to boot...WOW!

Had the 1/4 hp Foredom for 8 years now. Bought it from the Enco catalog & got a slim handle from Rio Grande (they also have their own look alike brand). With the power, versatility, collect & chuck choices, handle configuations, etc - it is a hell of a tool, which can only be surpassed by an air driven (much more $$ ) grinder.

I've also gone through and trashed enough dremels to pay for a foredom. The only Dremel I own now and very occasionally use is the cordless (their cheapest model).... so, pay now or pay later.

Bob

As has been said, cordless is underpowered. Good for making model Gundams, maybe.
I just got the HF one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40432
They just raised the price by $10, but it's still in the same range as the VS dremel. This is an upgrade for me from the single-speed dremel with flex shaft, and it's nice. No messing with collets, takes from my smallest dremel points to 1/4" drill bits, and power to spare. Only tradeoff is that it's 15000rpms max, instead of the 30k that dremel offers, but that's where the torque comes from.

didnt read all the posts, but if you have the money get a foredom, one with a larger hp, it will last 100x longer than a dremel tool.

Build your own foredom type tool. Get a Makita electric valve grinder, wire you a ceiling fan rheostat outlet for vari-speed, and add a flex shaft from HF.
Found the Makita at the pawn shop, for 25.00, rheostat from hardware store for 3.00, and the flex shaft from HF for 12.95. Been using this tool for over 5 years, for less than 1/4 the price of a Foredom.
I am not cheap, just frugal.
Ken (wwjd)

Back