Advice on s110v sharpening.

I just grabbed myself a manix 2 in s110v, my first knife in that steel which I've heard is a pain in the butt to sharpen. Bought it used and while it's not completely dull it could definitely use work. I dont let my knives get this dull so up until now ive only ever used my lansky ceramic rods but (correct me if I'm wrong) that won't work so well here. Any advice on a sub $100 sharpening option that's up to the task?

For S110V, I'd be comfortable with either a coarse, (320), or fine, (600) grit finish. You can jump from the coarse to an x-x fine hone as a finisher as well. (Think of it like a strop in a sense.)

Generally, most folks seem to find that 110V works best with a coarser sharpening and let the carbides do their thing.

For S110V, I'd be comfortable with either a coarse, (320), or fine, (600) grit finish. You can jump from the coarse to an x-x fine hone as a finisher as well. (Think of it like a strop in a sense.)

Generally, most folks seem to find that 110V works best with a coarser sharpening and let the carbides do their thing.
Yeah I was afraid of carbide tear out. Thanks for the assistance.

Certainly not going to argue against DMT and if you can swing it, get them.

But if your budget is more restricted, the UltraSharp diamonds are pretty darned good as well. Just another option is all. I'd also recommend a universal stone holder as I prefer to stick to 8" stones.

Certainly not going to argue against DMT and if you can swing it, get them.

But if your budget is more restricted, the UltraSharp diamonds are pretty darned good as well. Just another option is all. I'd also recommend a universal stone holder as I prefer to stick to 8" stones.
Budget is always a thing! I'll check those out too

Alternatively, DMT Aligner.
I would definitely get the EEF stone as well, as it is a great touch-up stone on the go.

Last edited:
Diamonds for sure are the only way to go with S110V,with diamond plate's that are made like the atoma ones will remove more metal and leave very deep scratch's in the edge unlike dmt and of the KME gold series.

You can use ceramic stones on S110V after you have finished with diamond stones,but with S110V it's extremely important that you don't go crazy and do a lot of pass's I would only do 3 to 6 light pass's to each side,if you over use a ceramic stone on S110V you will only make duller.

A lot of guy like either the Spyderco Fine or Ultra Fine stones for finishing S110V that I know.

Alternatively, DMT Aligner.
I would definitely get the EEF stone as well, as it is a great touch-up stone on the go.
That “stone” is 8000 mesh or 3 microns grit size. The Extra Fine is 1200 mesh or 9 microns grit size.

That “stone” is 8000 mesh or 3 microns grit size. The Extra Fine is 1200 mesh or 9 microns grit size.

Yes.
Aligner Deluxe comes with the EF stone.
EEF is a great addition to it.
It provides a very nice edge with tons of bite for the grit rating.
I use it freehand right after Venev #150 or DMT coarse to refine the edge.
Works great for me.

I also use it to revive an edge on the go.
It creates an edge which does not need stropping.

I was having a real burr problem with my military but was advise to finish each grit with a couple LIGHT strokes on the diamond at a higher angle and to stop around 600 grit, that has worked pretty well

I hone my Military in S110V on a DMT Diasharp Extra Coarse (220 grit) to get a burr and finish on a DMT extra fine (1200 grit). That produces a toothy edge that cuts like a chainsaw. Stropping doesn't seem to do much but a few light strokes with a smooth steel does.

@Sharpening Supplies they have a set of 2 double sided 6"x2" diamond plates in a wood box for $90.
You get extra course/course and fine/extra fine. Unless you have a longer blade, it takes care of everything pretty well.

Back