Advice on sharpening Survival Knife

I bought an HI Survival Knife a few weeks ago, and the blade got a little chewed up from the test chopping. I have not touched it up yet. Since then, I have used the knife, and have passed it around to some friends (who were pretty rough on it). The blade held up the the abuse with no problems.

I do not know how I chipped the blade the first time, but it took a lot of abuse with no damage, so I'd say it is a winner.

Question is, how should I touch it up? they are the biggest chips I have ever put into a knife, but they are actually small. Should I try to convex the edge more? I have a lansky knife sharpener system.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd use the sandpaper on mouse pad trick

Be sure to sharpen the entire bevel of the blade as you sharpen in order to maintain a good convex edge
This takes longer but should yield a much nicer edge, use course sandpaper until you get the chips out, then move to finer and finer sandpapers to get the edge razor sharp

Good advice:) You could also not worry about the chips if this is going to be more of a hard use knife. They'll come out sooner or later with sharpenings.

Back