advice on taking apart knives

I'm considering taking apart my CRKT M21-14 to clean it thoroughly. I have to admit that I've never taken apart a folding knife and I've like to know if I need to watch out for anything (springs under tension, etc.). I have torx tools ready as well as an assortment of allen wrenches and screwdrivers. If this proves to be not as traumatic as I think, I might do the same to my other folders.

What locking mechanisms or knife types are the most challenging to disassemble and reassamble?

Id say the axis would be the hardest, or with the most parts. As for your M21 the only spring in there is the spring for the lawks mechanism. Just make sure you understand how it came apart so it will be easier to put back together.
-Barry-

If the knife is assisted opening (or auto) make sure you do it from the open position.

EDIT: I recently took apart and reassembled a Kershaw Offset and it was a pain in the ass to get back together....Scales, liners, 10+ screws, and dual torsion bars. The way the liners are constructed made it nearly impossible to line everything up to get the pivot screw through. Most other knives i can pop apart and have back together in a matter of minutes....its not hard, you will pick it up fast.

why would you want to or need to completely dismantle a knife for maintenance, i mean i understand if you were going to mod it or something but to perform maintenance it seems un called for, dunno. This is an honest question cause ive seen alot of posts about guys getting them apart and then struggling to get them together, also would it screw up the warranty if ya had to have something fixed?
then again i'm just an old slipjoint fan:D
ivan

Hell-o; "Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment" ;)

yeah i get that but why take it apart to clean especially since some of them seem to be a real pain to get back together... like i said i'm a slipjoint guy i guess we dont have these concerns:cool: Besides i thought tinkering and embellishment was modding the knife, then i say go for it!
I forgot one thing i suppose, some people love taking things apart, to each his own i suppose:)
ivan

Exactly!

I started taking stuff apart at an early age. You can imagine my parents' relief when I was finally able to put stuff back together again! :)

Most knives are easy to take apart .. At least for me... Just take apart auto and assisted knives in the open position... And backlocks.. take a little practice..
Otherwise go for it..

There isn't much to worry about when taking apart manual folders. You need to be careful with automatics and AOs; make sure you open the knife so there is a minimum amount of tension on the springs before you begin to disassemble! Be gentle on screws so that you don't strip any of the threads. When adjusting the pivot screw, turn the screw just so that the blade is centered and bladeplay stops. Realize that on cheaper, poorly constructed knives (such as your M16), you will have to find a point of compromise between smoothness, blade centering, and play.

The M16 Zytel series does have quite a few parts, and most find the LAWKS mechanism the hardest to reassemble. You will have to spend a good amount of time tweaking around with the frame and pivot screws to get things straight, but it's certainly doable.

Back