Advice to New and Want-to-be Makers

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
There seems to be a big increase in new people here in Shop Talk. That is a good thing. FIF has been a big influence.
However, the repeated I want to make a knife threads and resurrected old threads can clog up the forum.

Things to help you get started right:

#1 - The biggest thing anyone can do to help us help you is FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE COMPLETELY.
Your age, location, and some info about yourself will allow others to offer you help, materials, good advise, and local sources.
BTW, Somewhere in the Cold North isn't a location … Norfolk, VA; Flat Rock, TX; etc. is.

#2 - Read the Stickys. There is a ton of good info there.

#3 - Use your real name. If you already have joined Bladeforums, a name change is only $10.
We all know who Kevin Cashen, Salem Straub, Fred Rowe, Stacy Apelt are.
I don't know ( and likely won't care about) nightrider36, Deathray 2000, Scooby-Doo, or LazyDave21.

#4 - Reach out to a nearby maker for help and advise. The internet is god for searching and data (most of the time), You-Tube is good for videos (some of the time), but sitting down or going into the shop with a real person is way better ( all of the time).

#5 - Look at the DATE on a thread you pull up in a search. If it is more than a year old, don't resurrect it. Post a new thread and link the old one in your question.

Last edited:
Good advice Stacy especially "Use your real names". If you are going to sell knives you need to get your name out there.
There are some of us who have reasons we don't use our names, give our locations, or other personal information but I do understand the idea. I've found one person on here in my area and I'd love to reach out to them but just can't.

Good advice Stacy especially "Use your real names". If you are going to sell knives you need to get your name out there.
I've been going by "Busto" for over 50 years....The Mayor know me by Busto, Priest, Coaches, Fellow Farmers....You Know that 6'3" Biker Looking guy that owns that Big Pecan Orchard...Oh yeah you mean Busto....Hell my mom calls me Busto:)
My former bosses at NASA called me Busto...

I think also if you are asking for some advice or guidance it helps to be as specific as possible with your question and provide as much background information on either the material or process so you can get useful advice

Regards
Harbeer Chahal

I guess my dream to start "Deathray2000 Knife and Tool" was over before it began... :(

In all seriousness, I did just recently pay the $10 for the username change. No regrets.

Busto is your nickname. If people call you that, it is a real name. Deathray2000 is made up name. I have no problem with someone using the name they are known by.
Everyone my age knows who "Catfish" hunter was ... or Hulk Hogan. I doubt we would have known them if they went by CountryGuy1946 or BigTerryB.

Last edited:
Seeing as how we're on the topic of names, I tried signing up as billyO, which is how everyone has referred to me for the past 30+years but that was taken, so I'm using my initials instead.

Necroing threads is a problem not limited to bladeforums. Forums that handle it do so by issuing a warning before the potential necro'er submits a post, asking if they are aware the thread is ancient history. Other forums simply lock old threads.

I hope this reads with the smile/laugh intended and not as me arguing....but my last name is a lot harder to pronounce than Olsen....which is why I've been called billyO for the past 40+ years...
Not trying to cause any S)(T here, But weo all in lower case, has had me wondering about your name?? LOL, I've been know as Rhino.. or Rhinoman for some 30 years, So I went with RHINOKNIVES when I started Knife making and signed up here...

, I was here in 98 and left for a couple of years because it got nasty here with the Chick-let system with too many just wanting to bust others chops, When I came back, for some reason they couldn't fined my original name, I know this is turning into a Ramble, Just wanted to say that I have always had Laurence on my tag line here to eliminate any confusion...

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith
Seriously!!! You don't know whom Scooby Doo is?? ;):p:p

I think you guys may be missing my point to the new makers. An unknown knifemakers who calls himself ScoobyDoo won't have that name recognized as a specific person. If you are just getting started, calling yourself by the name that people call you is a good practice … be that BillyO, Rhino, Busto, John Smith, etc..

Sorry to bump this up, However how do i change my username? i wasnt thinking when i created this name

I have been wrestling with a name change for some time now. I just have been JTknives for so long.

Good Post,

I know I’ve likely annoyed a few members with my noob questions, as searching was pointed out to me, more than once....lol.

However, as a self educating Canuck (not many around here to teach or train, aside from general blacksmithing from Canada, I still struggle with where to post for feedback. I’m getting better albeit not great but advice is always welcomed and I’m not certain to this point, even where to post.

If I search, where to post knives, feedback for knives, etc....a million results with little assistance?

Thanks for your time...I’ve been an admirer of your work for years!

Good Post,

I know I’ve likely annoyed a few members with my noob questions, as searching was pointed out to me, more than once....lol.

However, as a self educating Canuck (not many around here to teach or train, aside from general blacksmithing from Canada, I still struggle with where to post for feedback. I’m getting better albeit not great but advice is always welcomed and I’m not certain to this point, even where to post.

If I search, where to post knives, feedback for knives, etc....a million results with little assistance?

Thanks for your time...I’ve been an admirer of your work for years!

Although I used my real name :), my shop is Black Metal Forge and business is registered (half ass business at this point, hope that to change with time, and effort) as such and my Branding will likely be along the company names lines.

Back