AEB-L Customs - Thicker Stock - Books Closed

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings friends. Spring and summer are coming, so it's time for big blades.

I will be making a run of knives in this high toughness stainless alloy using thicker stock of .160", aka 4 mm, aka 5/32". Depending on how much interest there is, I may also look at doing some quarter inch stock as well.

If you would like in on the batch, please contact me by PM or the email address in my sig to discuss your project. Thank you.

Thank goodness this filled up so fast, I was quickly losing my self control. I don't need another knife, right?

It will probably be refreshing to work with thicker stock, and have less concern about warpage! I love AEBL, but have heard it is a headache to get the thinner stock not to warp...

It will probably be refreshing to work with thicker stock, and have less concern about warpage! I love AEBL, but have heard it is a headache to get the thinner stock not to warp...

It's not a concern for me at this point, because I send my blades out for heat treatment. Also, if you read the thread "AEB-L warpage" you will read encouraging words from JTKnives (Jarod Todd, my go-to heat treatment guy) about how to minimize and deal with it when it does occur.

I don't need another knife

:eek: What's wrong with you!? ..... ;)

It's not a concern for me at this point, because I send my blades out for heat treatment. Also, if you read the thread "AEB-L warpage" you will read encouraging words from JTKnives (Jarod Todd, my go-to heat treatment guy) about how to minimize and deal with it when it does occur.

:eek: What's wrong with you!? ..... ;)

JT was the source for my first AEBL knife.

And also the maker I got my first stick of 5160 from, and the owner of the first 2x72 grinder I ever used. Back when he lived in UT.

Jarod texted me to let me know that this sheet is being cut next, along with another sheet I ordered in .118" with Barax machetes on it.

I thought you might find it interesting to see what these blades are:

AEB-L .162 Project.jpg

The ones greyed out have not been spoken for. They are extras that were not expected, but Jarod was able to finagle the CAD files and squeeze out extra blades on the sheet. If they stay that way, I am thinking of taking one of the Prevails for myself, and trying it without the thumb ramp. I threw the small utility in there for a gentlemen who was interested in a similar design I made over a year ago but just missed the knife. I told him at the time it would probably be a while before I put together another order in this thickness, but when I finally did, I remembered him, squeezed that blade in, and let him know. And also that I have one of this design coming in MagnaCut as well, but neither one has been claimed yet, so I guess it's till up for grabs.

Anyway, AEB-L ones blades are heat treated and have been shipped back to me as of today, along with a couple of .118" thick Barax machetes. Can't wait for them all to show up!

David, do I understand correctly that the AEBL blades above in grey are unclaimed? If that's the case then I'll PM you for some more information. Thanks!

David, do I understand correctly that the AEBL blades above in grey are unclaimed? If that's the case then I'll PM you for some more information. Thanks!

You understand correctly my friend. Looking forward to answering your inquiry.

Consider the blade on the far left now spoken for.

Back