AEB-L Hunter Prototype in Double Black Micarta

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Check it out! This is a prototype for the Hunter run I want to do later this year. It is a lot like what the Hunters will look like.

I'm really liking the AEB-L after testing it, it is very impressive! Tough as heck with great edge holding and very easy to sharpen. It seems to get crazy sharp.

The Hunters are probably a couple of months away, further off than I would like but I haven't forgotten!

There are black micarta pins on this one, they blend in well and glue up very strong. The micarta/micarta bond is exceptional.

I'm going for the most ergonomic handle possible and am really happy with the results! :D

Daniel that looks great! Great photos of the whole knife but I especially like the maker's mark one! Please make sure I am the list for this one! Best Jim

Daniel that looks great! Great photos of the whole knife but I especially like the maker's mark one! Please make sure I am the list for this one! Best Jim

Thanks Jim!

I'm am glad you liked the pics!

The mark came out really deep and clean, I'm very happy with the outcome because sometimes stainless steel can be tricky (for me at least) to get a good etch on. This etch is as deep as any stamp I have seen. :D

Pure awesomeness!

You should hang onto that one! Otherwise I'm gonna want to snag it!

-Xander

Pure awesomeness!

You should hang onto that one! Otherwise I'm gonna want to snag it!

-Xander

This one is already spoken for but I'm making more! I do want to keep the knife, it is one of my all time favorites. Thanks Xander!

Wow that is sleek. I'm definitely excited for the months ahead.

Much appreciated! I'm really enjoying the micarta pins, they blend and I can shape the handle any way I want.

I have a big year planned, I want to grind 24/7!

Very nice. I really like the size (pic in the hand is very helpful), it's not overpowering and many options for carry plus full four finger grip. Please put me on the list as well.

Have you done any colored micarta liners? That black micarta is just begging for a blue or red stripe!

Beautiful bit of knife sculpting you did there !

I want in on this one. What a beauty.
Daniel maybe a handle in antique ivory micarta with red liners? Please

Very nice. I really like the size (pic in the hand is very helpful), it's not overpowering and many options for carry plus full four finger grip. Please put me on the list as well.

Have you done any colored micarta liners? That black micarta is just begging for a blue or red stripe!

Thanks! I think the handle size is just enough for a great four finger grip. I wear a XL glove and my hands are barely too big for a large.

Colored Liners - I am a fan of them and recently bought a sheet of black, red, blue, neon green and white G10 in liner thickness. They may be an option on these, I was thinking pinstripes... black liner, colored liner, double black micarta!

Thanks on the handle too! It indexes well yet is comfortable in just about any position. I used to be a Chef and that combo is important to me in this sort of knife.

A hiunter? Were you hi when you designed this one?
Love it.

LLOL I might need some gllasses... :p :D

Beautiful bit of knife sculpting you did there !

Much appreciated! :cool:

I want in on this one. What a beauty.
Daniel maybe a handle in antique ivory micarta with red liners? Please

Thanks! I'll make sure you get one!

I'm always looking for more Antique Ivory Micarta but it is so rare... I tried to buy 10 sets a while back and got a notice that I could only get one set... by the time I wrote back they were sold out. Some companies sell some by the name but it isn't the real deal. I'm going to stay on the lookout as it is my personal favorite. It's out there and I'm going to find it! :D

White linen, paper and a few others are close too, I'm always buying new pieces to try out. I even aged some white paper micarta in the window for a year to try, lol!

Looks like it would be super comfy to use.

Thanks! That's a huge goal on this one. Great to hear that.

This knife looks sick! You make some truly unique and good looking knives sir. One thing that never ceases to impress me is the form of your handles. They always look simple, organic, and comfortable. I hope I can get the AEBL I just ordered to look half as good as that.

Do you have Double Red, Daniel? ;)
triple :D

This knife looks sick! You make some truly unique and good looking knives sir. One thing that never ceases to impress me is the form of your handles. They always look simple, organic, and comfortable. I hope I can get the AEBL I just ordered to look half as good as that.

Thanks! It's really nice to hear that too. I have put a lot of time into handle ergonomics lately.

The AEB-L was nice to work with and seems to get sharper than normal. I shaved my arm with it and first thought it wasn't cutting it had so little resistance. The fine grain and ease of sharpening makes AEB-L seem like a high carbon steel performance wise.

Nailing the heat treat is the tougher part... I get it right into sub zero from quench then water cool.

Really liking that, Daniel, congrats! Will there be a thong/lanyard hole on the production model(He said hopefully)

Thanks guys!

I do have a lanyard hole drawn in the plans! I might do black micarta tube for the lanyard hole.

Back