AEB-l needing help!

Hey everyone
first off thank you to all who may assist me on this.
Im having some issues with AEB-l warpage and i may have figured it out but wanted to get anyone chiming in
So here are my simple steps to cross cancel
i use .082 thickness profile the blad but i grind after its tempered so that cancels that out
(FULL DISCLOSURE i did not wrap in foil as i was trying to get a kuroichi finish on stainless... i feel like decarburization may be a factor to warpage)
heat up to what AKS suggests with my evenheat
clamp in aluminum plates(attached to vice) and wait to cool.
NOW HERE is where once i unwind the vice and pull out the blade..and i got weird warpage on all three blades.
I temper at 350 with c clamps to a file...the warpage is the same..
is it because i didnt wrap in foil?
Thanks to all who can help me!

Thank you!
new to this sorry, just posted!

Ya bet. I've made lots of knives from AEB-L, in fact several thousand, but I send them out for heat treat so I don't have any answers for you. Ya got pics?

Hey everyone
first off thank you to all who may assist me on this.
Im having some issues with AEB-l warpage and i may have figured it out but wanted to get anyone chiming in
So here are my simple steps to cross cancel
i use .082 thickness profile the blad but i grind after its tempered so that cancels that out
(FULL DISCLOSURE i did not wrap in foil as i was trying to get a kuroichi finish on stainless... i feel like decarburization may be a factor to warpage)
heat up to what AKS suggests with my evenheat
clamp in aluminum plates(attached to vice) and wait to cool.
NOW HERE is where once i unwind the vice and pull out the blade..and i got weird warpage on all three blades.
I temper at 350 with c clamps to a file...the warpage is the same..
is it because i didnt wrap in foil?
Thanks to all who can help me!
Thin stock AEB-L is prone to warping.
.080" is very thin.
1900f-2000f is the Austenizing range.
Without atmosphere protection I'd be more worried about decarb all the way through especially with such thin stock.

The real question "is it hard?"

I don't think I'd risk the performance for cosmetic finish, you can look into parkerizing for a kurouchi finish

Back