Review AEB-L versus A2 in Fiddleback Forge Bushcraft Tasker

RobbieB

Gold Member
Fiddleback Forge recently started producing some knives using AEB-L steel in addition to the A2 they have been using. AEB-L is a stainless steel, and being something new in the Fiddleback line, a few folks have had questions about it. One of which relates to its toughness or durability. At the risk of increasing my Friday competition for AEB-L blades, I wanted to share my experiences with this steel.

Just before I first learned of Fiddleback Forge last year, I made the decision that all my new knife purchases would be stainless. I try to keep my knives looking new, and with everything else I have to do, I didn't really want to add knife maintenance to the list. Then the Fiddlebug bit, and I now have way more carbon steel knives than I ever imagined. So, I was ecstatic when the fabulous Fiddlebacks began showing up in AEB-L. I've added several to my collection already.

40842063362_62309be24d_b.jpg

I first heard of AEB-L in late 2016 directly from a knife maker who said it was his favorite steel, and I've heard several since talk about really liking this steel. From what I understand, it was originally designed for razor blades, and I believe I read somewhere it really shines at around 60-61 HRC. I'm not sure how hard AEB-L Fiddlebacks are, but I believe @Fiddleback has nailed the heat treat.

For this evaluation, I chose a new Fiddleback model of which I happen to have in both A2 and AEB-L: the Bushcraft Tasker. Very comfortable in the hand, this is an excellent addition to the Fiddleback line that excels at Bushcraft tasks suited for a 3.5" long blade. The one in A2 is 0.125" (1/8) and the AEB-L version is 0.118". For a brief comparison of the Bushcraft Tasker to other Fiddleback Forge models, see https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...rence-comparison.1467455/page-5#post-17759917

40842059402_944f2cfc03_b.jpg

40842058212_37a2c9b1df_b.jpg

I started off with a little feather sticking. In all these tests, I tried to keep things as equal as possible between both blades. So, I used two ends of the same piece of wood for this test. Both knives performed equally well, and afterwards I examined the edge of each under 10X magnification. Both A2 and AEB-L still looked brand new.

40175977654_cda71b3035_b.jpg

40842046732_205ebc5212_b.jpg

Next I cut a notch into a stick. Again, I used the same stick for both knives, and again, both performed the same. Like before, I ended this exercise by looking at the edges under 10X magnification, and they both still look the same.

40175979944_038e881045_b.jpg

40842048112_d7c08d715b_b.jpg

The next test was to baton some pine. I took about a 14" long half-round and batoned just outside the inner core. The outside piece was then batoned into kindling and the process repeated using the other knife. I avoided the inner core in an attempt to make things as equivalent as possible for both knives. Neither had any trouble going through the pine. Examined under 10X magnification, the edge of both knives was still good as new. By now, both blades are getting dirty, but that's really the only change.

40842052102_f51a065c18_b.jpg

40175981844_f0f05e73a9_b.jpg

My next test was to baton some hardwood. For this, I chose a 12-inch long whole piece of dogwood, a very dense wood. I used a table saw to rip the wood into even halves, and proceeded to baton. It was considerably tougher to get through this than the pine, and I was fully expecting to see some impact to edges after this. Under 10X magnification, though, I could not find any rolled, chipped, or otherwise imperfect edge on either knife.

40842052832_e9989bca25_b.jpg

40175982864_26a55a3f3e_b.jpg

At the end of these tests...
40175984254_b4c8ab3319_b.jpg

I then cleaned up both blades and turned a sheet of copy paper into narrow strips. Both knives cut through this the same as the day I got them. I conducted one final exam under 10X magnification. The A2 blade looked the same as before I began these tests. There was something with AEB-L blade on a very small part of the edge. It was visible only on one side, and running a cotton ball along the length of the edge did not pull off any fibers. I decided to run the knife over a strop a few times (took about a minute), after which whatever I saw was gone. I suspect it was a discoloration from the wood that my cleaning had not removed.

I have not owned any AEB-L models long enough that they need sharpening, so I don't have any direct experience with that yet. I have, however, heard knife makers say AEB-L's workability is about equivalent to 1095, so I expect it would be about as easy to sharpen.

From what I can tell, A2 and AEB-L are just about indistinguishable in terms of performance and toughness.

I prefer the new stainless steels too. Thanks for the comparisons for regular work.

I don't think I'd ever use my knife "hard" enough to need the extra toughness for a super tough carbon, so a good stainless is good enough.

I have AEB-L in a LT Wright Great Northern Hunter and it works well.

AEB-L is to stainless as O1 is to carbon steels. AEB-L is easy to heat treat and with the addition of a cryo it is an excellent knife steel. Cryo for AEB-L only needs to go to -95F for a minute and dry ice is -112. There isn't anything picky about this steel, take it to 1930, hold for 10-15 minutes and air cool, best with an air blast or plate quench. Then I wrap it in 10 layers of newspaper and pop into the ice chest with dry ice overnight and finally I lay the blades unwrapped between two blocks of dry ice for a couple hours. O1 is 1475f hold for ten to 15 minutes depending on the alloy you have, if O1 with the 0.2% Vanadium then 15 minutes. Quench in 130f canola oil and temper at 425f for two hours two times. Rc 59-60 for O1 and same for the AEB-L after a temper of 340f for two two hour cycles. Two great and simple steels. I'm semi retired now and mostly do leather, but I have a few knives left. I was always a hobbyist until a machine shop I worked at made me their heat treater.

Back