Again? Really?

Celtic votive sword offerings, buried & sunk
swords-bro.jpg
zzz-gaulish-sanctuary-at-gournay-sur-aronde-2-c-bc-iron.jpg
ritually-killed-sword-iron-with-gold-inlay-from-an-early-iron-age-celtic-chieftains-burial-at-oss-in-the-southern-netherlands-ca-700-bc.jpg
gaulk-2.jpg

https://balkancelts.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/killing-the-objects-3/

The rest of the world tends to forget, there were people living, and dying in Europe/Great Britain for thousands of years.

It was pretty violent for much of it's history so old swords, and similar artifacts are fairly common.

Machined parts, not old at all. Honestly, there are better ways to spend time looking for news (or entertainment).

Cheers

GC

Any chance of this turning into a serious discussion/gallery of Romano-Celtic spathas vs invading Germanics & raiding Picts?
mo-9283-02x.jpg
6513493113_bbc51be67a_b.jpg
0anthro18.jpg

Any chance of this turning into a serious discussion/gallery of Romano-Celtic spathas vs invading Germanics & raiding Picts?
mo-9283-02x.jpg
6513493113_bbc51be67a_b.jpg
0anthro18.jpg

The thing is that the thread starter has nothing at all to do with a serious discussion. If I was interested in what you are describing as a very broad topic, it would deserve a dedicated thread and not what became the smatchet thread. If I was moderating here, I would merge a great deal more threads with that one. Just in your one post you are mixing metaphors. :)

I say Moxie instead of Coke or Pepsi but who am I to deny threads going in twelve directions. :p

By the way, spadroons turn up in rivers too. :p

I think that a P2 might be the best overall hall sweeper but I think I'm hankering a commander instead.

Looks like the maker manhandled those last two ! :)

Lol

Jake Powning and Al Massey once started a thread describing an eager beaver two hander and started putting up specifications. Finally revealed after discussion to be a chainsaw. Al is around here somewhere and has posted a couple of times. He was doing the leaf blades for Howy Waddell's (Albion) anthropomorphic hilts.

Cheers

GC

If you look close in this 2003 photo, that is an Al Massey leaf blade Howy hilted anthro near the lowlander claymore (Armour Class). The basket hilt to our right is also an Al Massey.
0yEPo3H.jpg

Speaking of two handers, here is an Al Massey/Jake Powning collaboration that was dubbed Blackbird's Lament. Taller than it looks in the photo, another Al blade.
paRPNiY.jpg

Cheers

GC

For extra points, spot the Eric Stevenson/Gus Trim collaboration.

Last edited:
For the ti tyke, an online link to Alexander Speltz' drawings and history of decorative arts (sadly out of date but from a century ago. Great draftsman.). From prehistory going forward, there are a numbers of blades and other arms along with some good history of cultures.

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/DLDecArts/DLDecArts-idx?id=DLDecArts.StyOrnSpeltz

Cheap enough to buy a copy but one can enlarge those plates with little loss of definition.

Cheers

GC

They called WWI " the war to end all wars ".They must have had similar thoughts in the " old days " too.
But other losses recently - a well travelled hiking path - a hiker saw something sticking out of the ground - a Viking sword !
A goose hunter in Iceland walking through the water tripped over something while goose hunting - A Viking sword.
I.ve hunted geese but all I found were dead geese ! On dry land here all you'll find is stuff from old industry , logging or rock quarry tools.

Back