Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allen: Your post sure does help. Thank-you very much for your input. Good luck at Blade to you and all the other makers!

Oh, especially good luck to the guy in the suit. Protects against pointy things, but it must be awfully hot!

------------------
"Come What May..."

Allen, you are absolutely right...I only know the part of the story that was made public. I really didn't want to know any of the story.

BTW, the link to the entire thread is in the first post here by Tom, so I wasn't pulling it out of the air. I highlighted your words that I felt contradicted what you said in this thread.

My one and only point is that the original thread would have died if you had not posted there with the strong language. You could have quietly told Tom how Howard felt. I just think as knifemakers and professionals, we should take care of this business in private. Our common goal should be to promote custom knifemaking, provide collectors and knife enthusiasts the best knife we can, and keep knifemaker business behind the virtual closed door.

You can take it as a given that if even the slightest controversial post is made on the forums, there will be folks that jump on it and run. By avoiding those type of posts, we avoid the innuendo that has happened here.

There are a number of makers here who have thousands of posts who never get quagmired in situations like this. It is just a matter of taking care in what you say publically. Of course, you absolutely must defend yourself against an erroneous personal attack.

Also, you can be a big part of BF and KF and CKD without even touching weird subjects. 10 minutes a night, breeze your favorite subjects, leave a note...it takes no longer than a bathroom break
smile.gif

I have been making knives for just over a year and I already have a national customer base because of all the forums. There are quite a few other makers that can say the same thing. Even though I have been a maker for a short time, I have been a professional for a lot longer and I think my professional attitude has served me well. Part of that attitude is to never, ever air dirty laundry in a public forum.

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
<A HREF="http://www.doggettcustomknives.com" TARGET=_blank>
dlogo.jpg
</A><A HREF="http://www.customknifedirectory.com" TARGET=_blank>
HeaderLogo2b.jpg
</A>

Larry brings up a good point that I would like to take a step further.

As a group, we are not making it any easier for these guys to work things out the way I know they can once they get together. With Tom and Allen involved I don't see this being a long term issue at all. The rest of us need to drop out.

------------------
" The real art of living is to keep alive the longing in human beings to become greater versions of themselves." Laurens Van der Post in memory of James Mattis

I have carefully,read Allen's responses and his original comments. He has brought this on himself. He went on the attack in the first place on these public forums. Now that the hens have returned to the roost, he complains how unfair the forums are. Allen, if the forums were so unfair, why did you choose them to make the stand you originally did? Do your comments on these forums count more than the rest of us? I currently own or have owned 15+ of your knives. My comments do not come from a person unfamiliar with your body of work. Despite what you say, the Diablo will remain one of my favorite carry knives. I will not be purchasing any more of your knives after the words you have written on these forums. Unless you allow others to use your signature, no one else is responsible.
Micheal Walker chose to let others speak for him after the last Guild show. He called us a bunch of old clucking hens. He chose not to even try to explain his perspective on the events that occured in New Orleans. That day, another knifemaking hero died for a lot of us. Please do not let this happen again. We are now over 11,000 strong. Take us as seriously as the words you had originally spoken here in your critism of Tom Anderson.
David

------------------
AKTI# A000150
NC Custom Knifemakers Guild member
NC Knife Knuts member

I have thought about this a while.
I do not think it is our business at this point and do not see much good that can occur here.

If Allen or Tom wishes me to repopen it I will.

Gus,

Thanks for adding that. Everyone knows you so maybe coming from you, they might listen a bit more.

Everyone else,

I just got off the phone with Allen (I told you all that I'd call him) and told him my feelings in this matter. I stressed to him my feelings of settling this issue BEFORE the show and then both or all three makers posting their results for all to see. Everyone, please let them resolve this.
I started going to knife shows back in 1988 and have met alot of great people. I "tablesit" for alot of makers who have come to know me through the years and I love every minute of it. I especially liked the "family" feeling of the shows and the respect makers show for customers and people like me. BTW, I am a customer also, I have over 70 customs in my collection. I have been treated like "one of the gang" by makers and have been introduce to makers I thought were Untouchable or legends only to find out that they like me, put their pants on one leg at a time and will sit and take time to talk to a regular guy like me. It is because of that feeling and respect that keeps me flying all over the country to see you guys. I guess I could spend my money elsewhere, but I would rather spend it and the time with you people.
Thanks again for listening to my rambling, If nothing else happens between now and then, Ill see you at the show. Please stop by and say hi to me. I'll be at Allen's table.

Larry Abramson

Pride can be dangerous...especially if it gets in the way of Judgement!!

Larry thanks for your thoughtful words.
the the that's all for now folks.

[This message has been edited by Gus Kalanzis (edited 05-30-2001).]

I am sure that Allen is most likely a very nice guy, and I hope that these last couple posts are not typical. But, that does not justify his behavior. He put his 2 cents in and then blamed us for responding. I have always respected Allens work, but I have lost alot of respect for him as a person. I am friends with alot bigger names than his, and they would never act the way he has. Never would the likes of the true greats go around in public (which this forum is) stating how much they have done for the industry. Or how they should be considered more important because of the time they have been making knives.

If he did not like the negative response he never should have made his first post. I'm sorry, but I just hoped for better out of such a respected maker.

------------------
R.W.Clark

Proud Member : California Knifemakers Association

First. I'm new to knife making. One thing I have absolutely enjoyed about it has been the kinship and brotherhood (as I see it) of the makers and collectors alike. I still believe that and the "who shot John" routines never accomplish anything good. For anyone.
It can't heal if you pick it.
Maybe this thread has run it's course. I hope so, there's a lot of stuff coming up in Atlanta to talk about and I hope it's knives.
btw from this day forth,I'm putting holes in everything that ain't nailed down. And besides I have'nt been able to design a knife yet without "lifting" design elements from the "big boys" work. Try it. Draw a knife from scratch, open up you knife annuals and start thumbing thru em. Yep, it's been done. Anyway that's been my experience for what it's worth. And we all know imitation is the greatest form of flattery! Well, I just came in from the shop and logged on to the forums and this is what I got. LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back