Recommendation? AI and knives

Is it possible to use AI for knife designing?
Maybe some paid versions, I don't know.
Just curious.

Al who?

simon.gif

Is it possible to use AI for knife designing?
Well, you could ask one of those image-generating AIs to make a picture of a cool knife and give it prompts about what you want. It might give you some good ideas. It would very likely give you bad ideas, too. And that kind of AI cannot do high-school level math, so it would not be able to do the engineering required to make a knife that would reliably work well. And I doubt that those AIs would be much good at metallurgy.

There are lots of other kinds of AI that can do some math. There is a lot of overlap between things called "AI" and methods in math, statistics, engineering, and operations research that have been around for decades or even centuries. So there are bound to be some things that some people call AI that would be useful in some aspects of designing knives.

A good knife designer must have extensive experience using knives in real life. How would you train an AI to use knives in real life? Right now, you can't. Maybe some day there will be robots that can use knives. But would a robot's idea of ergonomics be anything like a person's idea of ergonomics?

I have tried few times but the results are straight from acid trip.
Ai is really just combining and copying things - not so good at understanding originality or aesthetics.

I'm sure it could, and if not it certainly will be able to eventually, but why would any knife enthusiast ever want that? My concern with AI is not that it will ever be able to capture the true essence of the human spirit in design (or writing/music/art/etc.), but that it will come close enough that it can create things that the trend following idiot masses will eagerly consume, making the former obsolete in the market. I don't think AI could write a show as good as something like Deadwood, but it could certainly make the majority of the content on the streaming services today. It can create something that sounds like Coltrane to the people that don't really feel the essence of the music, but can it capture what people truly love about his music? It can attempt to write a posthumous Johnny Cash song, but can it ever capture the depth of soul you hear in his voice? Or that of Bob Marley? Sam Cooke? Hank Sr.? I can't imagine that it ever could for me. My concern is how few seem to find that important anymore.

In the end it's likely inevitable, but as long as I'm kickin' around this planet, I'll choose humanity.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is an original design or not, but I used a free version of GPT-4 open AI and asked it to create an "original design, titanium frame lock folding knife with a pocket clip".
It gave me 4 variations of the knife pictured.

View attachment 2430527
So, yeah. What I figured out that it simply cannot put lines together; they literally go in nowhere. I just thought maybe some sort of pro ai can make like blueprints, like a diagram. But I see that still nothing can switch a good designer.

I'm sure it could, and if not it certainly will be able to eventually, but why would any knife enthusiast ever want that? My concern with AI is not that it will ever be able to capture the true essence of the human spirit in design (or writing/music/art/etc.), but that it will come close enough that it can create things that the trend following idiot masses will eagerly consume, making the former obsolete in the market. I don't think AI could write a show as good as something like Deadwood, but it could certainly make the majority of the content on the streaming services today. It can create something that sounds like Coltrane to the people that don't really feel the essence of the music, but can it capture what people truly love about his music? It can attempt to write a posthumous Johnny Cash song, but can it ever capture the depth of soul you hear in his voice? Or that of Bob Marley? Sam Cooke? Hank Sr.? I can't imagine that it ever could for me. My concern is how few seem to find that important anymore.

In the end it's likely inevitable, but as long as I'm kickin' around this planet, I'll choose humanity.

Look how produced music is now.
Look how fake images on the Big screen, little screen and our still even smaller screens are.....
I know brewers who were using AI for fun, writing brewing recipes years ago.

Whos to say the knives you love and use today aren't already Are (made by AI)

after all, they are designed in CAD, lasered, CNC'd and probablly not even being Made by the maker, or even in said country..... Hahaha. (kinda joking) don't killme.

I Love AI....... Beep Beep 01110111101101

:O

Back