AIG Sheath for the Magua

Discussion in 'T.M. Hunt Custom Knives' started by averageiowaguy, Nov 7, 2012.

1. averageiowaguy

averageiowaguy

Mar 22, 2011
    The Magua is a really nice size for me as a small/middle sized fix blade. The knife came with a really fantastic sheath. The sheath is a work of art.
    [​IMG]
    I would wreck the sheath in short order if I were to use it in the wild, so I am going to keep it nice and safe in my knife storage.

After playing around with it a while, I decided that the overall length of the knife would make it a really nice knife for scout carry.
    I approached this sheath like I did the the sheath for the Hornet. Kydex is the material that I have access to that survives well in the places I go with knives.
    [​IMG]
    I made this sheath with nice rounded edges so that it wouldn't snag on anything while walking through the bush.
    [​IMG]
    The smooth edges also make it fit nicely in a pocket. I spend a significant amount of time in gun and knife free (read free fire) zones. If they don't see the knife, I don't have it. When it is riding in a pocket, the knife doesn't print.

Flip it over and you can see the belt loops.
    [​IMG]
    I made the grommet holes at intervals so that the sheath is molle compatible. It lashes to a pack strap very nicely.
    [​IMG]
    I have had some problems lashing larger knives to pack straps before, because there simply isn't enough room. The Magua works very well mounted on a pack strap. The main reason I would lash a knife to my pack strap is so that I can look cool in the photos.:cool:

One final feature, is that should I decide to carry it in the vertical orientation on a belt, I can either lash it to the belt or make an accessory loop to attach to the top 2 grommets using Chicago screws. I haven't made the loop yet because I don't anticipate carrying it that way, but the option is there.

2. Diesel D

Diesel D Tow Mater Moderator

Jan 29, 2012
    That is outstanding. I've got a cord-wrapped magua with a flat kydex sheath that carries well in my front pocket, but this has me thinking. Nice rig.

3. averageiowaguy

averageiowaguy

Mar 22, 2011
    Magua really caries nice as a scout knife in my opinion. Another option for vertical belt carry would be to just add 2 more of the orange straps on the back for the belt, only put them between the top and middle grommets. I might actually add that later.

4. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Moderator Moderator

Feb 27, 2010
    The belt loops are genius doc! Simple in design and can be done with scrap, good job.

5. averageiowaguy

averageiowaguy

Mar 22, 2011
    I made the loops that way because the tech locks will break open. Learned that lesson recently with the parang. I thought the loops might catch on stuff, but I made them so that they don't go over the top of the natural swell by the handle. Also I rounded the edges. It slides in and out of the pocket with no problems. The next time I make one of these I'm gonna get some longer grommets. I've got a few long ones but they are too long. What I was planning on doing was have the loops on the back and then cut out a black skull and crossbones out of black kydex for the front. The next time I do a sheath I'll do that. Mr. Hunt has some pink kydex on the way to me. I'm making a pink sheath for my wife's Hornet, and I'll do the skull/crossbone thing on that.

6. TMHunt

TMHunt Knifemaker/Moderator Moderator

Jan 15, 2012
    Sent out your kydex yesterday Doc. I gotta tell ya. If that plastic surgery thing don't work out you can always become a beer guzzleing hermit like the rest of us and sell sheaths for grocery money! ;) love your work and can't wait to see what you come up with for the wife. I might have to tap your expertise!

7. averageiowaguy

averageiowaguy

Mar 22, 2011
    My expertise is only what I gather from hanging out with friends and with bumping around the wilderness parts of the world. As such, I do not charge. :p

Wifey's sheath is going to be epic.