AIG Sheath for the Magua

The Magua is a really nice size for me as a small/middle sized fix blade. The knife came with a really fantastic sheath. The sheath is a work of art.
IMG_2506.jpg

I would wreck the sheath in short order if I were to use it in the wild, so I am going to keep it nice and safe in my knife storage.

After playing around with it a while, I decided that the overall length of the knife would make it a really nice knife for scout carry.
I approached this sheath like I did the the sheath for the Hornet. Kydex is the material that I have access to that survives well in the places I go with knives.
IMG_2500.jpg

I made this sheath with nice rounded edges so that it wouldn't snag on anything while walking through the bush.
IMG_2505.jpg

The smooth edges also make it fit nicely in a pocket. I spend a significant amount of time in gun and knife free (read free fire) zones. If they don't see the knife, I don't have it. When it is riding in a pocket, the knife doesn't print.

Flip it over and you can see the belt loops.
IMG_2501.jpg

I made the grommet holes at intervals so that the sheath is molle compatible. It lashes to a pack strap very nicely.
IMG_2502.jpg

I have had some problems lashing larger knives to pack straps before, because there simply isn't enough room. The Magua works very well mounted on a pack strap. The main reason I would lash a knife to my pack strap is so that I can look cool in the photos.:cool:

One final feature, is that should I decide to carry it in the vertical orientation on a belt, I can either lash it to the belt or make an accessory loop to attach to the top 2 grommets using Chicago screws. I haven't made the loop yet because I don't anticipate carrying it that way, but the option is there.

That is outstanding. I've got a cord-wrapped magua with a flat kydex sheath that carries well in my front pocket, but this has me thinking. Nice rig.

Magua really caries nice as a scout knife in my opinion. Another option for vertical belt carry would be to just add 2 more of the orange straps on the back for the belt, only put them between the top and middle grommets. I might actually add that later.

The belt loops are genius doc! Simple in design and can be done with scrap, good job.

I made the loops that way because the tech locks will break open. Learned that lesson recently with the parang. I thought the loops might catch on stuff, but I made them so that they don't go over the top of the natural swell by the handle. Also I rounded the edges. It slides in and out of the pocket with no problems. The next time I make one of these I'm gonna get some longer grommets. I've got a few long ones but they are too long. What I was planning on doing was have the loops on the back and then cut out a black skull and crossbones out of black kydex for the front. The next time I do a sheath I'll do that. Mr. Hunt has some pink kydex on the way to me. I'm making a pink sheath for my wife's Hornet, and I'll do the skull/crossbone thing on that.

Sent out your kydex yesterday Doc. I gotta tell ya. If that plastic surgery thing don't work out you can always become a beer guzzleing hermit like the rest of us and sell sheaths for grocery money! ;) love your work and can't wait to see what you come up with for the wife. I might have to tap your expertise!

Sent out your kydex yesterday Doc. I gotta tell ya. If that plastic surgery thing don't work out you can always become a beer guzzleing hermit like the rest of us and sell sheaths for grocery money! ;) love your work and can't wait to see what you come up with for the wife. I might have to tap your expertise!

My expertise is only what I gather from hanging out with friends and with bumping around the wilderness parts of the world. As such, I do not charge. :p

Wifey's sheath is going to be epic.

Back