AKTI Canada?

HJK

Is there a Canadian branch, affiliate or corresponding organization? Any views as to whether that would be beneficial etc.?

C-A-N-A-D-A. That big expanse of land and water to the north of you with 30 million people. Some of you may actually have been here. Some of you may actually come here in the future.

Yes, Canada the land of ehs....

AKTI does not have an affiliate organization in Canada. We have had to concentrate our efforts on getting organized and programs developed, now we need to further develop the membership base.

If there are corresponding organizations, we could discuss some cooperative efforts?

Jan

------------------
Jan Billeb
Executive Director, AKTI

Thanks for reponding. I'll talk to a few folks at the Guild show in Toronto on Sunday to see what interest there is. We need a more activist approach up here, but the focus, understandibly, is on business and craft. But if the laws and politics aren't kept in hand, business and craft may become untenable.
Have a good day, eh?

Perhaps at some point in the not too distant futrue AKTI could become NAKTI; North American Knife and Tool Institute.

I realize that getting AKTI off the ground and in a position to influence legislation in the US is a tall order. On the other hand the world is getting smaller every day and Knife Laws in other countries do impact US Makers and Knife Enthusiasts.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

Can't wait to have the CKTI feeling superior to the AKTI, eh?
wink.gif

I am hoping that given a little time for organization and growth the AKTI will be able to take on a more International character since Knives are already an International Industry.

I realize that trying to get organized and reach a point where the Organization can be effective at the National Level and in all 50 States is already a very demanding endeavor.

However, I do believe that in today's environment we should be looking toward an International effort to promote and protect knife rights.

I am not sure how we could approach this but I believe that we should start thinking about it.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

NAKTI? As much as US citizens like to lay claim to the term "American". Canadians are also Americans. They live in North America.
Now to get real picky about it, why are we excludung those south of the border? They have more right to claim the name since the name America was given to them first, before it extended North America
USKTI might have been a better choice.
No problem though,us "Americans" took the land. Why not take the name too? :)
:)

Are there many knife factories in canada that might be contacted to support such an effort. Otherwise, a branch of AKTI might be a good idea.

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.
AKTI Member #PR00003

That's a good question for which I don't have a good answer. If anyone knows, maybe they could post the info here and perhaps a few of us will try to get the ball rolling.

TomW --

At the time that the European-descended inhabitants of the US took the name "American", nobody else wanted it.

Prior to the time that Americans started calling themselves "American", the word was used by some Europeans (and those of European descent) for the aboriginal inhabitants (others, of course, used the term "Indian"); but the aboriginies didn't use that term for themselves.

Calling ourselves "American" was a verbal act of separation.

------------------
It's always Dark. Light only hides the Darkness.

I believe that Gormann Knives are produced in Canada but I am not certain.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

Grohmann knives are located in Picton, Nova Scotia, Canada, eh? They're on the web. The site is pretty good.

Back