AKTI - South Carolina - We Have a Law

SC Legislature Overturns Veto

“We have a law,” AKTI lobbyist Palmer Freeman announced late in the day on Wednesday, June 25, 2008.

AKTI’s bill S968 cleared its final hurdle when both houses of the South Carolina legislature voted to overturn the veto of Governor Mark Sanford. A 2/3 majority vote of members present in both houses was required for the override.

Since the bill originated in the Senate, the 34 Senators present (of 46 total) started the process. They voted 33-1 to override the veto. Two hours later, 105 Representatives present (of 124 total) registered their collective voice with a 93-12 vote to overturn the veto.

The bill becomes law virtually immediately. Here are the pertinent amended sections:
Section 16-23-405 of the 1976 Code is amended to read: … 'weapon' means firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol, or similar device that propels a projectile through the energy of an explosive), a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, or any other type of device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death. (Removes the phrase … “knives with blades longer than two inches”.)
Section 16-23-460 of the 1976 Code is amended to read: …
(C) The provisions of this section also do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, knives, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime." (AKTI added “knives” to this list to reinforce removing the knife reference in 16-23-405.)
The governor’s veto, as he explained in his veto letter, was not prompted by the knife provision of the bill that now makes it legal to carry a knife with a blade longer than two inches in South Carolina. The governor expressed concern that a last-minute firearms carry amendment for lawmakers and state employees was a demonstration of “self-interest” on their part. He saw his veto as another way to send a message that he didn’t like the $6 million expenditure on statehouse security equipment that was already nearly completed.

In short, the governor used his veto to rub the collective noses of the legislature in their fiscal irresponsibility, in his view. But it did nothing to stop the $6 million that was already being spent.

In his letter to lawmakers prior to the veto vote, AKTI Communications Coordinator David Kowalski pointed out that, “Probably 99 percent of the hunting and fishing knives carried have blades in excess of two inches. Without the protection of S 968, South Carolina could lose millions of hunting, fishing and other recreational dollars annually to surrounding states.”

According to a 2006 U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service study released late in 2007, South Carolina enjoyed more than $1.9 billion in spending from hunters and fishermen in 2006.

Kowalski also pointed out that S 968 would not contribute to any increased state spending for security.

The successful override effort was fueled by a major email campaign generated by knife-related forum announcements and direct emails from the AKTI communications office. As lobbyist Freeman said, “Quite a few of the legislators I spoke with and all of the staffers I spoke with mentioned the flood of emails, correspondence and calls they got on this veto vote. Thanks for the great grassroots effort.”

Communications coordinator Kowalski also reports that when he made his first call to a Senator’s office the morning of the vote, the secretary told him, “I know all about this issue; we’ve been getting emails from across the country.” Kowalski left phone messages for all 46 state Senators and had a personal conversation with Senator Ralph Anderson of Greenville.

On the House side, Kowalski left phone messages for all 124 members. He also had personal conversations with Representatives B. R. Skelton, David R. Hiott and Phillip D. Owens. Owens described himself as “both a hunter and a fisherman” and expressed the opinion that without the repeal of S 968, “they would pretty much take away all our hunting and fishing knives.”

AKTI would like to thank all those who took the time to send letters and emails during this process that involved several committee meetings, votes, and full floor votes in both houses, plus the veto-override vote. He also heaped praise on the efforts of lobbyist Palmer Freeman. “Without Palmer getting face-to-face with key decision-makers, this successful result would not have happened,” Kowalski said.

AKTI’s success in South Carolina continues a long line of legislative triumphs for bills they introduced that began in California in 2000, then Florida in 2003, Arkansas in 2007, and now South Carolina in 2008.

“Your AKTI membership dollars go directly to these successful efforts to make knife carry less perilous in this country,” Kowalski concluded. “We can’t do this without lobbyists and lobbyists cost money. By the same token, lawmakers who get emails, letters and phone calls on any issue know that voters are watching.”

Kowalski also added that, “unfortunately, if anyone out there has been telling themselves and others that they are concerned about knife rights but never picked up the phone or wrote a letter on this issue, even though they were informed and prompted with model letters every step of the way, then they need to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.”

It is great success! Thank you! I actually had a couple responses with the last one from Senator John Courson saying it had been overridden. Wonderful! Again, Thank You!!

Voters should thank Gov Sanford for his veto by voting for someone else next time. I don't live in SC, but I go there often and it's nice to know that I'm not a criminal any longer with my Kershaw Leek (3 inch blade).

We live in Virginia, but vacation on the SC coast each and every year, so this was a very relevant issue to me. This is a prime example of how knife guys, whether active AKTI or not, can work collectively to stop this kind of senseless legislation. Right on, folks.

Professor.

I hate to come off souding like a wet blanket here, but... I live in Mi. and our law also says that if "carrying with unlawful intent", we can't carry anything over 3". I called a bunch of State Police posts to try and clarify, to make sure that I wouldn't get into any unforeseen trouble. Some of my carry knives have blades around 3.5" or so. To make a long story short, I was basicly told that they would just assume that the knife was going to be used with unlawful intent and prosecuted, (that's right, guilty til proven innocent). Which I'm sure you all know the process, the lawyer, court costs, fees, etc.
I guess it all boils down to if you run into a cop on a good day or a bad day. It shouldn't be like this in this country, especially when the law is black and white.

I hate to come off souding like a wet blanket here, but... I live in Mi. and our law also says that if "carrying with unlawful intent", we can't carry anything over 3".
The provisions of this section also do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, knives, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime."
It doesn't say carry it says used so unless you use it in a unlawful manner it is legal to carry.

Of course it has never been a big deal here to carry a knife with a blade over 2 inches. If they wanted to they could put about every male in the state in jail any day of the week for that offense. Once or twice I have asked sheriff's deputies what kind of knife they have clipped in their pocket even though I can usually tell if it is a nice knife or a flea market special. Without hesitation he shows me his and I show him mine. Deputies don't get paid that much and I usually outclass them with what ever I have in my pocket but a couple have had Emersons or Spydercos. I always compliment them on their knife and we go about our business. You can't go anywhere without seeing a knife clipped in someone's pocket or in a pouch on their hip. Now if the cops bust you for anything beyond a speeding ticket they will add the 'illegal knife' charge to your offense. If you keep your nose clean and don't act the fool when you are out nobody is going to say anything about a substantial knife. I think it is in the fine print for construction workers to have a Buck 110 in a pouch on your belt at all times! That being said I was recently 'Banned for Life' from a local watering hole for bring a knife into the bar...OK I brought a knapsack full of large knives into the bar but I grabbed a beer and went out back to photograph some of them around a fountain and a large wooden platform. Just my luck there is a new bouncer there and only one bartender and this prick bouncer told me to pack it up and get out, adding that he would see to it with the owner that I was banned for life adding his legal mumbo jumbo about how knives are illegal and I'm lucky that he doesn't call the cops on me. Little did he know that I know the owner and her husband but it never got that far. I left peaceably when he asked and returned in a few days to talk to the manager to whom I have sold knives and in who's establishment I had sold knives to people for years. No back room crap, right there on the bar but usually in the late afternoon or early evening and usually by appointment. Needless to say I am not banned.

Back