All about Bucklites and Selector's & 110's & 112's LTs and Slims ...

Of Bucklites and Oil; or,To Oil, or Not to Oil

A quick question for the Forum: is it ok to use Rem Oil or similar on Bucklites, or is the oil likely to interact with / deteriorate the plastic, which on these knives doubles as scale and liner?

Thanks -

I would not use that oil for the blade or pivots of you Bucklites. As 1) it is not food safe and 2) it could have a reaction with the valox.
It is a good oil and I use it for cleaning my air rifle. It has some solvent in it as I got some on my finger and accidentally wiped my lip and it burned them.
Even on my face some. So, I had to stop and wash it all off. My experience. DM

Yes, mineral oil. DM

Much obliged, thanks. I see that DeSoto Sky posted a table elsewhere - thanks to him also - but it's been so long since I took chemistry that I wasn't sure where on the table knife lubes would fall! I would have to fall back on Wikipedia....

Here is a Buck Selector that I added to my Selector collection recently. I have been looking for a NIB Ducks Unlimited version for some time.

vRJIqm4.jpg

onnT9uE.jpg

Kcqwsg6.jpg

JMg70Cq.jpg

5T1JV8T.jpg

This thread reminded me that I always did like the original Bucklite. Never had one, but I had a good friend who worked with me in the mid 80's who carried one at work.

So, cutting to the chase, I have this one coming to me from a large auction site. But I have questions.

Having read the first dozen or so pages of this thread,
♦ I think this is first generation. Crosshatch on the handle and no lanyard hole.
♦ I think this was 1984-ish. No standard date stamp and these were apparently not produced until 1984.

According to this post from Jeff Hubbard, Chuck Buck Sr. said that Buck used 440C until approximately 1985.
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/steel-history-of-buck.126654/

The picture maybe appears to show the thicker blade profile used by Buck on their 440C blades.

Can anyone confirm my first two assumptions as to age and generation, plus can anyone tell me the blade steel?

And out of curiosity, will this fit in the sheath for a standard 112?

s-l1600.jpg

I have one just like yours. It was my first non-300 Buck knife. They are early models with the brass bushing in the scale around the blade pin. I have the original sheath. Mine fits in a leather 112 sheath but the brass pin head hangs up a bit on the back of the snap. Doesn't do that with blade pointed down. Someone else needs to comment on the dot after 422.

I carried this for hunting and work for a season or so, then hunted with a Selector. I just cannot believe I broke the tip off. Must have been in a bear fight.
standard.jpg

Last edited:
As for the dot. We are not sure, is the short answer. It likely indicated some design change or engineering change. I've seen that mark on the 500. I have the same year, same
handles knife but the 110, so 426. Yes, 440C was used by Buck until 1985 but that was with their fixed blades. The switch with their folders came in 1982 with the 4 dots on the 110 and followed suit with the 112 and others. I would suspect a first entry Bucklite would have a blade of 425M steel. It is unknown why Buck continued their fixed blade line using 440C steel for 2+ more years. Enjoy your Bucklite. DM

Not what I wanted to hear. As I wanted my Bucklite to have a blade of 440C steel. So, shucks. Your welcome. DM

Well yes, 440C would be more awesome.

But win, lose, or draw, it's still good to know what it is.

None of my Bucks are in 425M, so there is the chance to play with something new.

Back