All I need are scissors and screwdrivers...any small tool?

Gents,

I've been looking for a very small multi tool that only has a pair of scissors and screwdrivers.

I don't need all the other things that add size and weight and would like something really light.

If nothing comes to mind, then all I really need is a small pair of scissors to put on my key chain.

The only thing I'll be cutting on a regular basis (daily) is this damn carpet that is dethreading. My knife works, but I often end up pulling up more carpet to cut the thread...even with a sharp knife.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

The Leatherman Micra is based on a scissors rather than a pliers, and is key-chain sized.:thumbup:

If you want to go really small and on a keychain than a vic classic sd would be a good idea .

Dunc

SAK Rambler is probably the lightest tool with scissors and small flat head and philips drivers. If you are only cutting the occasional thread then that is what I would recommend. If you are cutting a lot of them at a time, I'll second the Squirt or Micra, either should work well.

I third the Squirt and Micra suggestions if you're looking for something to put on your keychain. Taking another angle, you could get a Victorinox Swisscard which gives you a pair of scissors, a blade, the Quattro screwdriver tool and a few other useful things. Fits into your wallet, too.

Sorry, advertising is not allowed on this forum. If you want to advertise on Bladeforums you'll have to get a Dealer Membership and post in the Exchange section. Click on "Upgrade your forums experience, and help support this site" at the top of the page for details.

How about the SOG CrossCut? It's a pocket multitool built around scissors and it offers compound leverage.

Dave,
I would have to agree with the Leatherman Micra as a choice. I have had several and find that they have all performed well. They are also small enough to hide in your pocket or on your keychain. I made a cord and wooden bead lanyard for mine so I can find it easier in my pocket. The scissors are some of the best and most durable I have used, and it is nicce not to have to worry about replacing the spring (as in Victorinox knives) should it break.
Hope this helps,
Neil

I just purchased the Micra today and it is pretty sweet. I got the smallest Victornox for Christmas and found that it lacked the screwdrivers.

So, what the deal with the Squirt S4? It's a little smaller and more expensive. Is that about it or is it a lot cooler?

Mahalo,
Dave

Don't forget the Schrade Tough Chip and I second the SOG CrossCut. Both are small with good scissors and several screwdriver options.

Big Dave said:
So, what the deal with the Squirt S4? It's a little smaller and more expensive. Is that about it or is it a lot cooler?

The Squirt S4 is smaller and more expensive, but you can access the tools from the outside without having to open up the scissors. I think that's about it.

Big Dave said:
I just purchased the Micra today and it is pretty sweet. I got the smallest Victornox for Christmas and found that it lacked the screwdrivers.

Mahalo,
Dave

It is really nice, a more rounded, smooth, finger-friendly package than the Micra, but not by a whole lot. Altho some users have reported they were superior, I found the scissors to be about equal to the Micra. The other Squirt implements are accessible on the outside, more convenient than the Micra which has to be opened to get to them, BUT... the S4 drivers are stubby compared to the Micra and the cap lifter is very finicky to use. The Micra's is not so terrific either, but definitely more usable.

On balance, I prefer the Micra, which has the extra benfit of being priced about half of what they ask at Target and similar discounters.

That said, I love my Squirt P4 :)

mouse123 said:
Dave,
I would have to agree with the Leatherman Micra as a choice. I have had several and find that they have all performed well. They are also small enough to hide in your pocket or on your keychain. I made a cord and wooden bead lanyard for mine so I can find it easier in my pocket. The scissors are some of the best and most durable I have used, and it is nicce not to have to worry about replacing the spring (as in Victorinox knives) should it break.
Hope this helps,
Neil

What he said, except I attach mine to a tiny Inova flashlight. Talk about good to go :D

cardimon said:
How about the SOG CrossCut?...
A reviewer wrote:
"It would be nice to also have a phillips head screw driver"
I never owned a crosscut, but if that review is accurate it might be lacking.
heathah said:
Don't forget the Schrade Tough Chip...
I think I would loose all the removeable parts on the STC.
Big Dave said:
...what the deal with the Squirt S4? It's a little smaller and more expensive...
The squirt looks like it weighs more even though it is smaller in dimension. The S4 scissors are "serrated". The tweezers are removeable (I likely will loose these too).

From LM website
Micra: "Scissors, Clip-Point Knife, Tweezers, Nail File / Cleaner, Flat Phillips Screwdriver, Extra Small Screwdriver, Medium Screwdriver, Bottle Opener, Ruler (Inch / Metric), Lanyard Attachment"
S4: "Scissors, Straight Knife, Tweezers, Nail File/Cleaner, Small Flat Phillips Screwdriver, Extra-Small Screwdriver, Medium Screwdriver, Opener, Ruler, Lanyard Attachment"

From what I can see:

1. size difference
2. weight difference
3. tool access difference
4. scissor edge difference
5. removeable tweezers
6. cost difference
7. unsure if the knife blade is different

S4.jpg
LMMicra.jpg

sorry about 31% off tag...it was part of the picture I found on the web.

I have carried a Micra on keychain for over 8 years. I just got two more at Target for $13 and change each for my spare keys. Hard to beat at that price I figure.

Back