All these Australians ...

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
Are we seeing an influx of Australians lately, or were they here all along, just too shy to speak up? :p

Anyway, in case they get so comfortable they become incomprehensible, maybe this website will help us understand them: Aussie Slang

incomprehensible
Fair go mate, keep using 6 syllable words and us Aussies will be buggered. Maybe more aussies are starting to get fair dinkum about knife collecting

I heard somewhere that aussies like to shorten words.

After watching an Australian drama (Mcleod's Daughters) i heard for the first time someone call a Volkswagen a VeeDub. As in a short form for VW.

I've had many amusing conversations while in America where we were all trying to work out what the other was actually saying. A few beers often helped.

My wife, (an American), took a while to get the hang of how our language worked when she got here. She still doesn't always pick up on some of the more subtle jokes.

American is generally a very literal language. Australian is very euphemistic and context driven. This can lead to some interesting conversations!

As to why there are more Australians appearing here, who knows? Like Stockman said, maybe more of them are getting interested in knives. That would be good.

They're a bunch of good blokes, so "Welcome on board."

Who knows, I might even reconsider my retirement plans in order to meet them...

"Australia's 999 call for British bobbies
By Nick Squires in Sydney
(Filed: 09/11/2004)

One of Australia's most sparsely populated states is aiming to make up a shortage of up to 400 police officers by recruiting from Britain.

Six months after a previous advertisement for British migrants, the authorities in South Australia are looking to the old country again.

Potential recruits will be lured by the benefits of the Australian lifestyle
Prospective recruits can look forward to affordable housing in the capital, Adelaide, an enviable Mediterranean-style climate and easy access to some of the world's finest wineries in the Barossa and Clare valleys.

The nearest beach is a 15-minute drive away and traffic jams are a rarity.

Four times the size of Britain, South Australia has only 1.5 million inhabitants, more than a million of whom live in Adelaide.

South Australia's police commissioner, Mal Hyde, said his force was already receiving up to 10 inquiries a day from officers in Britain.

"We traditionally haven't recruited outside the state," he said.

"But now we think we won't be able to meet our targets if we don't."

The current seven-month training course will be whittled down to three months to make it easier for British recruits, who will also be given assistance in securing immigration visas.

South Australia is following the example of Auckland in New Zealand, which attracted 80 British police officers in 2002 because of a shortage of local applicants."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...9/waust09.xml&pos=news_puff3&_requestid=48444

Assume the position, mates!

maximus "Ned Kelly was a pussy" otter

South Australia will go to extreme lengths to get people to live there, it is not "One of Australia's most sparsely populated states" for no reason. People in South Aus watch their washing machine spin around as an alternative to the entertainment the town has to offer.

Mcleod's Daughters--I love that show! You'd be surprised how many kiwis were/are on the cast.

Ya got that right about SA, after all Queensland is where its at! ;) Just loved all the different settings that were all in one state. I spent time everywhere in Queensland, fron the Gold Coast to Cairns to Mt Isa.

Esav Benyamin said:
Well, if we can call our President Dubya for W, that's not too bad. :D

This is bloody embarrasing but i just found out what that means...all this while i've been seeing people write Dubya and i didn't know what it was. :confused:

Emanuel said:
Mcleod's Daughters--I love that show! You'd be surprised how many kiwis were/are on the cast.

I didn't want to admit it at first. But it's one of my favourite shows. There's just something about girls in cowboy hats. And i always imagine that one day i'd like to own a ranch.

Hey...do australians need forensic scientists????

Fair suck of the sav you blokes, it's too bloody hot here to move our lips while we talk.

Point44 said:
There's just something about girls in cowboy hats. And i always imagine that one day i'd like to own a ranch.

Hey...do australians need forensic scientists????
We do, in the US! Now that you know what Dubya means, maybe you could move to Texas -- lots of girls in cowboy hats down there and even more ranches!

Esav Benyamin said:
We do, in the US! Now that you know what Dubya means, maybe you could move to Texas -- lots of girls in cowboy hats down there and even more ranches!
The only reason you've got more ranches is because they're tiny little things. A bloke needs room to move, a decent sized cattle station is where you need to be.

Esav Benyamin said:

Yeap. The US should be a safer bet. Australia has too many venomous spiders and snakes.

How much do you think a ranch will cost down there?

Australia has too many venomous spiders and snakes.
Don't forget about the massive man eating sharks, giant killer crocodiles and deadly box jellyfish.
Truth be known, the two legged creature wearing the suit and tie is the one to look out for, by far the most deadliest.

Point44 said:
Australia has too many venomous spiders and snakes.
QUOTE]

It's amazing what one grows accustomed to. This morning I was cleaning out the shed and killed half a dozen red back spiders and watched, shovel at the ready, as a dugite (snake) slithered out from under an old mattress.

I thought 'that's two of the worlds most venomous creatures dealt with and I haven't even had breakfast yet' :eek:

Point 44 - the large cattle stations, some of which are as large as a European country will sell for several million. A medium sized farm can go for $500,000 to $1 mill and smaller, hobby sized blocks of less than 100 acres can be as little as $50-70,000, depending on location of course. Good luck making a living on those small places.

Texas has a few large pieces of land available :)

When I was down there, I remember, they had a rattlesnake roundup. Then they cooked a few of them, for anyone interested in a bite to eat.

One day we got back to base and someone had left a styrofoam cooler in the middle of the parking lot. We had to open it, right? Water moccasin. (Dead and bloated. :barf: )

Snakes in Texas, too, yes.

maximus otter said:
They're a bunch of good blokes, so "Welcome on board."

maximus "Ned Kelly was a pussy" otter
November 11, 1880 - Australian bank robber and bushranger Edward "Ned" Kelly was hanged in Melbourne.

South Oz is a pretty damn good place to live, fair dinkum. Queensland is nice, but they have pretty rotten humidity. South Oz will actually get hotter, but at least its a dry heat.

Although, truth be told, our future isn't looking that bright. Our economy is pretty good right now, but job prospects are always a worry. And our water situation is pretty serious. Our main source of drinking water is actually over the recommended salt limit quite often, and things probably won't get much better for a long time. Water restrictions are in force and likely to remain so. Pretty hard to attract industry under those conditions. Which is a shame, because this really is a pretty good state, although I prefer Western Australia myself. Ah well.

By the way, don't trust those blue heeler cattle dogs. A bit too fond of nipping in my opinion. Stick with the kelpies.

Cheers, Acolyte.

Ming65 said:
It's amazing what one grows accustomed to. This morning I was cleaning out the shed and killed half a dozen red back spiders and watched, shovel at the ready, as a dugite (snake) slithered out from under an old mattress.
Reminds me of something my wife said only last night. When she first came out here she was really worried about the spiders, especially the hairy huntsman, she didn't see any reason why a spider nneded to be bigger than your hand and she would make me put them outside when she found them in the house. She has now got used to them, so much so that last night, as we were sitting there watching TV, she pointed at the wall up near the ceiling and said: " Aawwww.. isn't that cute, look at the little baby huntsman."

How times change ...

Back