Allergies...

I have a silly question. I am allergic to many things from grass to juniper trees. So my question is this: If I am allergic to juniper might I also be allergic to gin? I am asking this because I tried a gin drink for the first time last night (didnt like it much anyway) and this morning I awoke to a horrific hangover. It seems odd to me to have a hangover from a single drink but I think the allergy explaination would make alot of sense.

Since pretty much all gin is flavoured with juniper it's pretty obvious you are going to have a problem if you're allergic to juniper.

Don't drink the stuff!

Gin makes me argue with my own shirt. And I don't even have an allergy to Juniper. Gin is bad. Leave gin alone.

Hangover's are not indicative of an allergic reaction. Hangover's are indicative of the body's rate limited ability to process alcohol, which leaves a build up of toxic chemicals that create a "hangover". If a hangover is felt and a person did not consume much alcohol one of two things has likely occured. Their body is losing the ability to digest alcohol (this happens with age or diseases such as liver disease), the person had poor alcohol that already had these poisons in them (poor gin).

In any event, if you are allergic to juniper, don't drink gin. Choking to death with a swollen tongue and constricted throat seems like it would suck.

Well thank you guys for confirming my theory. I will definatly steer clear of that stuff from now on. I think any form of death involving alcohol would suck.

Allergies to the things that the alcohol is made from will cause proplems. Grapes-wine, barley-beer, etc.Alcohol also makes the allergines circulate through your body faster giving a quicker and more intense reaction. Remember that the chemistry of drinks can be complex and additives supply many possible reactions There are IIRC 50 additives permissible in beer . Natural and artificial flavours, foaming agents ,stabilizers,color etc !!! If it bothers you , stay away from it !

A friend of mine, who really likes bourbon, is unable to drink it because he is allergic to corn.

Munky - ironically enough, I just found out today that I'm allergic to Juniper and grass as well; along with a couple of others. I made the comment that I'll probably need to change my eating habits, and the nurse agreed. The grass thing is usually a spring/summer thing, which I can handle. With Juniper, if I get near it I get welts within minutes.

BUT, I love Tanqueray (Sapphire too), and as far as I know I've never reacted to it. I hope I don't - that's one thing I'd never want to have to give up.

thx - cpr

Back