Alpha Lockback & Knight Purple Stone

I noticed today that a large knife store will have a on-line sale this weekend, March 7-9, 2003. It has about 200 knives on sale, 35% off. It has about 30 Bucks. Two of interest are a Folding Alpha Hunter with Rosewood handle and a Kinght Slimline Lockback with Purple Sunset Bonded Stone.

I have read the forum about the Alpha Hunter, one about the blade wobbles a bit. I wonder does anyone have a Alpha and how do they like it. It looks really nice to me.

The Knight Slimline with Purple Sunset Bonded Stone is something I have not seen before. I assume it is a 500 series with handle material made out of stone, is that right? Anyone have one?
buck%201.jpg
buck%202.jpg

The Alpha hunter looks and feels good, but it has a thin liner lock. I think its too thin, and thats why I dont have one, but by saying I dont have one I really dont know for sure how it holds up.

I have the Buck Alpha Hunter folder &, while I prefer a good lockback, the liner lock of the Alpha seems to get my OK. I'd say get the Alpha Hunter but then again the other knife you show looks great! Why not get both & alternate your EDC?:D

I really like the looks of the Alpha Lockback. I think it has ATS-34 steel. Does it have a leather pouch? Anyway it is now $39, I think I will order it. By the way, I have no idea what happened to my pictures. The service I use for the pictures is down too. I guess when you get something for free you can't complain too much.:rolleyes:

My Alpha Hunter is ATS-34 (if it has rosewood handle) & came with a brown leather snap sheath, much like the Buck 110. Can be worn vertical or horizontal. For $39.00 get both knives!!!! :D

I also have a Alpha Hunter, Model#279 - drop point, 420HC blade , rubberized handles and it is in my EDC regular rotation. Granted, I have some others that find themselves in my pocket or on my belt regularly, but the 279 is one of my favorites. I have found it to a great, solid knife. The lock up is tight, it fits the hand well, is one of the smoothest opening knives I own, and just plain feels good in my hand.

As for the thiner liner, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Like I said, my lock up it tight with no blade wobble. I recently read "THE TACTICAL FOLDING KNIFE" written by Bob Terzuola. The sub-title of this book is "A Study of the Anatomy and Construction of the Liner-Locked Folder." The following is a quote from the book:

- "In order for a liner-locked blade to be forced closed from the open position, the flat spring must be bent double by excessive force exerted on its spine (assuming the angles of contact were correctly made and the spring does not slip off the blade). If the liner is of sufficecnt thickness and of a material with great tensile strength, such as 440C stainles steel or titanium, the force required to bend it out of shape from the front edge (that is, attempting to close the blade), is enormus and not within the range of conduct of the human hand.

Because the system is in compression, a substantial force must be applied to the top of the open blade in order for it to begin to fail. A force of about 35 foot pounds is required for this to happen with a titanium spring of .063 inches thick." -

Now the liner on an Alpha is not titanium so the amount of force needed to create a failure I'm sure is less than the 35 foot punds stated, but I'm sure it is still more than most people would be able to apply. With that said, I feel very comfortable with the construction of my Alpha and would not hesitate to use it in any given situation.

Thanks for the response "I have found it to a great, solid knife. The lock up is tight, it fits the hand well, is one of the smoothest opening knives I own, and just plain feels good in my hand." You convinced me to buy one. I got one with the Rose handle.

I also got some other knives, since I was ordering. You know how that goes.
:rolleyes:

By the way the 35% off sale is at Somkey Knife Works at www.eknifeworks.com and the sale ends Sunday. I have been to their store, it is like being a kid in a candy store the size of a Wal-Mart.:)

Thanks again. By the way, I like liner locks. Being able to open the blade with one hand is nice.

I got my Alpha lockback today. It is a wonderful knife. A very thick handle, lots of good detail work. Nice movement in the blade when it swings open and the ATS-34 blade is quite nice. I see what people are talking about with the linerlock, with such a massive knife the lock looks quite small. This will be one of my best knives and I have quite a few.:rolleyes:

Back