Alpha series

I just found it odd that those are different than the Pro and Elite.

Another oddity regarding the grind on the 664 Select, it starts higher on the Pro & Elite. The 662 & 663 (Select models also hollow grind) are all similar in grind height regardless of price point/level.

Nonetheless, I am digging the Selects. I bought two of the 663 & 664 and selected the finer finished pair for custom scales, perhaps elk. Just need to find a talented knife maker for the job.

Adding a 662 and a custom sheath would make for an interesting twin set or triplet set.

Personally, I love and prefer hollow ground 425Mod and 420HC. I get them sharper than any other steel/geometry combination. AEB-L, too, but that’s not a Buck steel in this conversation.

As to why they do it that way, my guess is that the new-fangled powder metallurgy steels with Vanadium carbides need a thicker angle with more matrix metal behind the edge to hold the carbides in place.
What are your thoughts on Buck's 425M? I have two 1995 650 Nighthawk's and can't seem to get them razor sharp. I'm sure it's me and not the steel. Just need to keep trying. But I can never really find many opinions on 425M. I know that Larrin's chart (of Magnacut fame) shows that 420HC is one of the toughest steels out there. Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on Buck's 425M? I have two 1995 650 Nighthawk's and can't seem to get them razor sharp. I'm sure it's me and not the steel. Just need to keep trying. But I can never really find many opinions on 425M. I know that Larrin's chart (of Magnacut fame) shows that 420HC is one of the toughest steels out there. Thoughts?
I think Buck’s 425Mod is harder and takes longer to sharpen than their 420HC, but is a fine-grained steel that sharpens up fantastic. I’ve been carrying, using, and sharpening Bucks in 425Mod for 33 years, but always thin blades like 700 series, 500 series, and the 110 - not a larger/thicker blade like the Nighthawk.

I get a better edge on 425Mod with a hard Arkansas stone or a super smooth ceramic rod than I do by stropping. That could just be me, but I’ll stick to what works for me.

Back