Alternative solutions for Natchez Bowie?

Late last year I started carrying using my CS NB for medium duty tasks around camp. I'm not battoning with it or anything really rough but I'm definitely using it. Last time out I got rained on pretty hard and the leather sheath got soaked and heavy with water. It took a full day to dry out after I got home but never did dry out while up in the woods.

Are there any nylon or kydex alternatives for this knife? I'm not too picky as long as it retains the knife and doesn't absorb water/moisture. Either a military or sporting type of design would be fine.

Thanks. :)

Here's what I do for the Natchez.

Attachments

• CSNatchez-copyw.jpg
    CSNatchez-copyw.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 104
I like it Mike. How is the blade retained? EDIT: Let me rephrase that... I realize that it's a tension fit but at what point of the knife is the tension applied too?

I'm checking out the your link now....

Thanks for the help.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul,

Tension (or lock-up) is in the ricasso primarily, and a little bit in the point - "freeplay" around the rest of the blade. The sheath will cling to the knife, but with that small a ricasso, the lock-up is short. Definitely not for inverted carry, but works well behind the belt. Lynn Thompson's personal Natchez is in Southern Comfort.

Back