Alternative to Strider PT (recommendations)

I've had many knives over the years and the one I really regret selling was a Strider PT MSC concealed carry. I loved the way it fit my hand. Unfortunately with Strider going out of business/not making knives, I haven't been able to find a CC PT for sale anywhere. I don't have the time to stalk the forums and it seems I'm never fast enough to snag one. Normal EDC for me is either a crk 21 plane jane or a mini ritter.

Looking for an alternative to the strider pt cc since I can't find one in stock anywhere so unless anyone knows where to find one, I'll be giving up on the search. Cost is a non-issue (under $500) with preference $100+ range. I was thinking native 5 (new fluted cf seems nice) but not sure what else is out there.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
After getting the Spyderco Brouwer with a deep carry clip installed I sold my PT. It has a similar feel in hand but cutting performance is better and it carries more discreetly. You might like it too.

How about the Southern Grind...Spider Monkey? I always forget the name of the smaller model

Their shape has always reminded me of a Strider and they have a solid reputation

The Spyderco Brouwer is a good recommendation.

Another is the Protech PT Auto.
I don't need or care much for autos, so I dialed mine down so it doesn't jump open.
The stonewashed version is lovely and I recommend the aluminum scales with knurling. Mine cost $165.
Here is a picture of mine:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Strider-Protech-PT-Automatic-Knife--51923

I am a big fan of the Strider PT and enjoy owning eight different versions.
The Spyderco Brouwer and the Protech PT series are each similar in size and ergos to the production PT. Each costs about half the retail price of a production PT.
I wouldn't want to be without either.

I've always wanted a Strider PT also but never wanted to support the company or pay the huge mark up they get now on the secondary market. How about a Protech Strider PT? You'll give up manual for automatic but it captures the exact lines of the PT, just not the CC version. Protech and DLT are great companies and the price is way below current Strider cost...I picked up a special edition one from G9 a while ago and love it.
Edit...it looks like F flash900 beat me to it with the Protech!:D
https://www.dlttrading.com/pro-tech-strider-pt-black-knurled-handle-black-blade
MICRO-5476__40384.1508274298.jpg

After getting the Spyderco Brouwer with a deep carry clip installed I sold my PT. It has a similar feel in hand but cutting performance is better and it carries more discreetly. You might like it too.

IMO, this is a great call if the Protech auto version doesn't do it for you. Similar to the PT in a lot of ways, but without any icky Strider on it.

I like the Brouwer (outside of the clip, it leaves half the knife out of your pocket) because it's Spyderco, but not too-Spyderco, if you know what I mean. It's like a Spyderco where they took all the Spyderco-ness and dialed it back a little towards normality, and it's a great knife if you like the scale color and don't mind (or replace, it's a three hole pattern) the clip.

The Brouwer doesn't seem to get much love from traditional Spyderco fans.
Maybe it will get more of the attention it deserves from fans of the Strider PT design.

I regret selling my PT CC and PT as well. Replacements I’ve bought have been lesser knives. They occasionally show up at Arizona Custom knives if you’re willing to pay a premium and they go quick.

I don't know if this is an alternative, but I have always preferred the 3" Hinderer XM-18 non-flipper to the PT
MSC/Strider will likely make some more PT's in the future, but batches now tend to be small and go fast. They never made batches of PT's that often anyway. If this route interests you, signing up for the MSC newsletter will help.

In a custom-Yuna EQ2 might/or might not appeal to you-don't know what they cost these days, but used to be comparable in price.

Last edited:
I have small inkosi insigno
Hinder XM 18 3 inch
And a lego PT

PT is neat little knife but the f&f is 3rd in the pack. Was cheaper though.

Hi - you would want the Bad Monkey. The Spider Monkey is a really small knife.

As is the Strider PT . . . though if someone likes the finger-choil-having PT they might not love the Spider Monkey the same.

Hi - you would want the Bad Monkey. The Spider Monkey is a really small knife.
Yeah, I like the Bad Monkey too. But I was trying to select the one closest to the PT in size.

I didn't find the Spider Monkey too small, it was definitely easy to carry yet substantial enough to handle.

I think this is a great suggestion. One of my favorite Spydercos and in size and shape, compares well to a Small Sebenza.

I appreciate everyone's help - happy to know there are some knives to hold me over until I can track down the msc pt again. Awesome suggestions all around.

I've got a few knives on my short list but I just purchased a spyderco brouwer with casey lynch clip. Thanks all!

A small CRK Inkosi ?
A Hinderer Half Track ?

Bingo. CRKT Pilar if your broke like most of us.

Plus MSC DDC etc. It's all built using trash. By own one. Get an RHK instead .

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's help - happy to know there are some knives to hold me over until I can track down the msc pt again. Awesome suggestions all around.

I've got a few knives on my short list but I just purchased a spyderco brouwer with casey lynch clip. Thanks all!

Report back when you get it, but I'm betting if you don't hate the green color you'll like it.

Back