• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Aluminum Fire Pistons. Hand made in the USA.

Macchina

Gold Member
Price is $70 NOW $65 Price include shipping in the USA with a tracking number. The price does vary as market prices change for me, but I try to price these as fairly as possible. Keep in mind I make these by hand on a lathe accurate to .001". The critical dimensions are cut with precision reamers and cutters, but the aesthetics are all cut by hand which is a time consuming process but gives great results. If you have an idea or want a little customizing, please just let me know and we can work something out.
Please email me and post here if you order one or have any questions.

I am open to certain trades for knives. I like Plain Edge only in the Benchmade and Spyderco types. Please only offer fair trades equal to the value stated above. I will combine a couple fire pistons for the right knife if the value is matched accordingly.

Description of fire pistons:
Fire pistons were made centuries ago out of wood and provided natives with a primitive yet fast method of creating fire with limitless uses. A fire piston works on the same principles as a diesel engine in that compressed air creates intense heat. A bit of char cloth is placed in a small pocket on the end of the piston, and when the piston is compressed, this heats the char cloth to such an intense temperature that it glows red, allowing you to start a fire. I've been making these fire pistons for a few years, and have used them on many hiking trips. Char cloth can be made at home and carried with the fire piston, or some natural tinders can be used (certain mosses, fungi, and barks).

Details:
>Machined 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum (Will never rot, and much stronger than wood). Very robust design make this one tough fire starter.
>3/4" diameter wire brushed grip cylinder with precision reamed 1/2" bore piston. O-ring is standard 1/2" OD x 5/16" ID that can be inexpensively obtained at any hardware store should a replacement ever be needed.
>Piston has a tinder retainer machined into its face.
>I machine these fire pistons myself in my machine shop in Grand Rapids, Michigan USA. They are machined by hand on a lathe, which is time consuming, but also guarantees the highest quality. Tolerances are held very tight for excellent compression and reliability. Each piston is individually mated to it's cylinder for a precision fit.
>These fire pistons are of my own design, and are the result of many prototype models. I found that the method I use is more reliable than a two hand fire piston, and causes much less fatigue on the hands during practice and actual use. It takes a little practice to get the "feel", but after you get the hang of it, it only takes a few tries to get an ember.

Videos of my fire pistons:
Quick Press method
Slam Fire method

Shipping is free to USA buyers. International buyers please email first .
I usually ship out within two or three days of purchase.
Due to the small quantity and profit I make on these, returns cannot be accepted, but if you have a problem please email me and I will work with you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

FirePiston3.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

DSC02128.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

DSC02117.jpg

Last edited:
I have one round and one hex available at this time.

I am also interested in trades of Benchmades and Spydercos type knives in 90% condition or better that are valued around the price of 1-2 fire pistons.

Back to the top. I have 2 of each style left.
Thanks,
Michaelmcgo

I am interested in a hex fire piston. Please respond with the details so I may purchase?

Respectfully,
SheetBend

I have three round ones available at this time.
Thanks,
Michaelmcgo

I just made a new batch of 4 round ones. There will not be any hexagonal ones for a while now due to a stock issue.

If you'd like one, Please email me. They are still $70 shipped.

Back to the top. $65 shipped in the USA!
I have two round ones left...

Well, I have one last round one left. I haven't heard from a guy who was interested in it in a week, so it's back on the market.

Back