Am I looking in the wrong place???

Got a question.
I get my blanks online as I am sure most of us do, I just got some CPM-154 3/16 X 2 X 18 From Jantz it was $102.00 each. Is that normal. I normally use New Jersy steel Barron or rose metal supply. but they were up there as well.
Any other suggestions as to when blanks can be had that don't eat all the profit. Or do I have to order 4x8 sheets??? That become a logistical nightmare. what sucks is none of my local steel outlets carry any High carbon. Just A36 or stainless
Thanks Jerry

Pops Knife Supplies has 3 foot bars of CPM154, that work out a little cheaper.
You can look at Alpha and see if they have some cheaper options. Looks like they don't have CPM154 in stock today.

Not many knives require that big of a piece steel, unless you’re making a bowie knife, switch to 5/32 x 1 1/2 for most knives.

Maybe consider a different alloy, 154 cm, 440C, 14C28N, or even AEB-L will all be cheaper.

Admiral steel might be worth checking out.
Alpha has some of these options so give them a try.

Hoss

Last edited:
If you have not bought steel in a while I can imagine prices can be a little shocking, they really climbed in the last year or so.

I found Admiral Steel as a good source for CPM-154. Big question is what they have in stock, like quite a few suppliers unfortunately

Thank you all for your help and yes, I will look at those places.
Question and ya I guess a dumb one. Bar stock as opposed to a knife blank ???? isn't a knife blank just bar stock cut to length ??? or do I have that all wrong and I am looking for a little higher end than I need??? I do have a surface grinder.
Devint I like the 3/16 X2 for my combat type knives to leave matériel for a guard. But I will try some 5/35 for some smaller EDC Thank you for the suggestion.
And Seedylot yes, I work in the construction field and yes everything has gone through the roof from steel to drywall to paint.

Question and ya I guess a dumb one. Bar stock as opposed to a knife blank ???? isn't a knife blank just bar stock cut to length ???
Typically a knife blank has been cut to shape as well, just not beveled/ground. So like the silhouette of the knife shape

Welcome Kevin. I saw that you are in Rustberg. Many years ago, I used to do lots of gem and mineral hunting in that general area.
Hope you can come to the Harrisonburg knife show in April. It is a very nice family friendly show.

Typically a knife blank has been cut to shape as well, just not beveled/ground. So like the silhouette of the knife shape
Yes, sir when I say blank it is a dimensioned rectangular chunk of whatever steel I want. I make that look and function like a knife>

Try some Nitro V or AEB-L in that size. They are a very tough stainless with very fine grain structure and really good toughness. They are priced more like 52100/80CRV2 and much less than CPM steels!

Try some Nitro V or AEB-L in that size. They are a very tough stainless with very fine grain structure and really good toughness. They are priced more like 52100/80CRV2 and much less than CPM steels!
Thank you, sir I will check it, out price wise with the afore mentioned distributors. Thanks for the help.

Regularly, free shipping is done with raised prices. The net result is pretty much the same as the normal price plus shipping. That is why you need to compare the final cost between suppliers.

Back