Am I the only one?

stevekolt

Gold Member
Confession time here. I don't get along with multi-bladed pattern knives in general, (Stockman, Whittler, etc.) So why do I like and keep buying SAK'S, especially ALOX versions...Anybody else share this condition?

Yup, you’re the only one...o_O Funny thing, I find certain knives visually appealing and I’m drawn to them, but I don’t necessarily care for them as an actual knife to carry.

SAKs can be addicting as there is enough variety to keep you looking and they satisfy the non-obtrusive edc folder easily and cut very well. I am not a huge alox fan in terms of using but I am attracted to them. Have a number of alox saks, but for the most part they haven't been incorporated into my regular carry. I specifically chose the Small Tinker over the alox Cadet because of the tweezers and toothpick and I am not a big scissors person.

My buying comes in spurts. More than likely I will buy another Small Tinker as a spare next trip to the big knife store. I will look at all the SAK models when I'm there as I always do. The Electrician was an alox one the followed me home and I like it.

I like two bladed folders. I don't particularly care for three and four bladed folders. The only reason I would buy a single bladed traditional knife is for the slimness.

Funny thing, up until about 4 years ago I had exactly 3 SAK’s, and it was that way for 25 years. A Small Tinker and a Classic, with the USMC emblem on it. I did get an olive green Hunter in 2003 that has taken care of dozens of deer, a few elk and a couple bears. Then I decided I needed a specific one for work that could get trashed, if needed, and not destroy my Tinker so along came a Recruit. Then I needed one for the car, the truck, the boat. Throw in a few more Classics for some tackle boxes, fly fishing vest. Then I saw a Lumberjack and thought hmmmm, efficient little woods knife, and bought 4 of them. Gave one to each daughter, myself and of course a spareo_O This was before they reintroduced it in the Walker.

Throw in a few more here and there. Then a little Alox Lumberjack caught my eye, and a Micro Farmer, a couple of Soldiers, an Old Cross Red Soldier, a few Farmers and the next thing I know one of the US combat Soldiers.

I’ll never wear any of them out. Heck, if all I had was my Small Tinker I’d probably never wear that out. But as with other patterns there is something I like about the SAK. Am I done buying? Probably not, I’m sure something will strike my fancy and I’ll get another one. I’d really like to find one of the Soldiers from the 40’s or 50’s in great shape. Then maybe I’ll be done...:rolleyes:

I like multi blade knives like the Stockman. I like the alox Victorinox because of all the tools.

Confession time here. I don't get along with multi-bladed pattern knives in general, (Stockman, Whittler, etc.) So why do I like and keep buying SAK'S, especially ALOX versions...Anybody else share this condition?

Probably because, unlike a lot of multi-blade traditionals, a SAK is comfortable in the hand when cutting stuff; the tools don't stick up.

Yes and no.
Up to 6 folding implements on a Scout or Two layer Vic is fine with me, but I draw the line at 3 blades on a slipjoint.

Knife blades and other implements are not the same thing.

I really like my Electrician but I have a "thing" for sheepsfoot blades and I think it is more useful than a can opener for me.

Id never carried a sak until sometime last year. I know have an electrician, recruit and a classic on my keychain. Very very functional knives. For me a stockman is a regular carry, buck 301 and a recruit today .

I feel the same. I have 2 Case knives (Mini-Trapper & Medium Stockman in bone), but never carry them. They're nice to look at though. :)

A SAK on the other hand is always a tool to me, those Case knives are more of a collectors thing. Dunno why I bought them, should've got another 6 SAK's instead.

Probably because, unlike a lot of multi-blade traditionals, a SAK is comfortable in the hand when cutting stuff; the tools don't stick up.
Hmm, I would qualify that the corkscrew of my Camper was not hugely comfortable in hand with prolonged sawing. I've defaulted to my Farmer for that reason.

I do indeed share your condition; virtually all of my non-SAK traditionals have only one blade.

Now that I think about it, most of my SAKs also lack a secondary knife blade (Alox knives, Compacts, Waiters, etc.). I can understand why some people might like to have a multi-bladed knife, but for *my* day-to-day tasks a second (or third) blade is superfluous.

I feel the same. I have 2 Case knives (Mini-Trapper & Medium Stockman in bone), but never carry them. They're nice to look at though. :)

A SAK on the other hand is always a tool to me, those Case knives are more of a collectors thing. Dunno why I bought them, should've got another 6 SAK's instead.
I have a lot more than "two" traditional knives (non-SAKs), but I understand where you're coming from about use. I don't collect knives, but I certainly accumulate knives that caught my eye or I use.

Earl1 Earl1 statement hits home as that is how I started in the 80's with SAKs.

So where am I in this knife attraction thing? Every SAK I have purchased can be used without hesitation. The fact that I like and use Vic SAKs offsets the urge to use those handsome traditional slippies that appeal to me. This is essentially reality. This reflects an acceptance of things as they really are and it will likely impact my buying habits down the road.

When you cut to the chase, the reality right now is that I am comfortable using a SAK as my only regular use knife. I don't see this changing unless the quality drops of significantly with Vics. Other knives are still fun, for now.

I have more than enough knives to use for the rest of my natural life. In the past, I liked to say that I carried a SAK also, but always defaulted to some other knife as my carry knife. Now, I proclaim that I in fact carry SAKs every day and they satisfy almost all of my cutting or a need to carry a handy knife thing. I wouldn't have admitted this 15 years ago and was always open to the next knife that I might like.....

Last edited:

This statement hits close to home. Just scored a very nice Case barlow that I planned on using but can't get myself to put some wear on it. Put in my drawer and am currently carrying my trusty Pioneer X.

I rarely find multi-bladed knives of much or any appeal with some exceptions namely whittler being top of it and also the only with more than 2 blades I am good with. I do however like multi-tools such as SAKs as it is 1 maybe 2 blades and a number of tools all very useful so to me a SAK, or similar knife, is not that same as a whittler, stockman, canoe, or congress knife where there is usually just multiple blades instead of multiple tools.

Besides what else i carry(usual a slipjoint a little bit specified for whittling)always there is my trustful hiker..Get the job done on the work,on my lunch or whatever.A real quality companion..and ofcourse is super friendly(super strictly law here) and does not make people looking at me weird:)

Back