Photos Amazing photo of French knife grinders from 1902

This image popped up on FaceBook this morning, thought it was worth sharing.
the caption reads:
This photo from 1902 shows French knife grinders. They would work on their stomachs in order to save their backs from being hunched all day.
French knife grinders edited

Dickensian conditions continue today in the third world. Why, in 1970 I did 40 hours of heavy manual labour in a sawmill as a scrawny 15 year old for $18.20 per week.
Knife content, my dad was a saw sharpener and showed me how to make a knife from a file ;>)

I think they just wanted to mount the bearings to the floor for the most strength. I’m wondering it there was a trough for water under them or if it was done dry?

Also notice the placement of the large windows for light. No electricity.

Look like awful working conditions, I get neck pain just from looking at the pictures. Was probably damp and cold too, with the water continuously running over those stones, not to mention they probably worked like this 12 to 16 hours days, 6 days a week, and for pennies.

Here are some similar but more modern videos of older Sheffield grinders and forgers doing similar -

Most of those videos are 1950's - 70's, a couple 80's, 90's, but many of the old timers were still doing it closer to the old ways than not.

Here are additionnal pictures (postal cards).
I am not quite sure it was the same method in other place than Thiers (French city).

7113.jpg

63-THIERS-carte-postale-ancienne-JR02839.webp

424-001.jpg

770-thiers-thiers-gorges-durolle-chute-saint-roch.jpg

512-thiers-thiers-interieur-une-coutellerie-france.jpg

zoom-205.jpg

It’s funny that In the picture of the women, the one facing the camera looks more or less happy but her coworker next to her looks madder’n a wet hornet

Last edited:
As I understand it from what I've read, the position was just a way of being able to put maximum weight on the blade, for faster work.
The dogs were to keep the Grinder warm in unheated workshops.
It's said that if a grinding wheel broke the Grinder could hit the ceiling....... & not much chance of surviving.

Back