Amazon "can't ship" certain knives to New York. Why?

What is this nonsense?

They "can't ship" a KA-BAR Dozier or an Ontario Rat 1 to New York, but they can ship a Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 (with 3.42" blade) to New York.

There's no logic to it; so don't bother trying to understand. It's no different than some of the sellers here stating in their ads that they won't ship completely legal knives to NY. Basically, they hear about the ongoing nonsense in NYC & just don't want to deal with it. (You'd be surprised at how many people think the whole state is The City. I was on an assignment in the mid-South a few years ago, and a person commented how weird it had to be for me... seeing trees, and all.)

There's no logic to it; so don't bother trying to understand. It's no different than some of the sellers here stating in their ads that they won't ship completely legal knives to NY. Basically, they hear about the ongoing nonsense in NYC & just don't want to deal with it. (You'd be surprised at how many people think the whole state is The City. I was on an assignment in the mid-South a few years ago, and a person commented how weird it had to be for me... seeing trees, and all.)
It's definitely ridiculous. Nothing in my area but cows and cornfields, and lest we forget, the Adirondack region... Just a million or so acres of woods. 🤷‍♂️

I don't understand retailers not shipping to NY either, but if you look around it's not hard to find what your heart desires.

The Rat1 is the same price at Knife Center, and in stock...and Knife Center is a much better place to purchase knives. Buy smart - there are plenty of other things on which to use Amazon gift cards.

Never heard of a straw buyer being illegal for a knife.

Straw man as in the knife gets mailed to a friend out of state. The friend receives it and then sells you the knife for $1. Mails you your purchase.

Because if Amazon thinks people are going to follow their rules. Just ask your state rep how's that going.

Please* don't break the law but Amazon can get bent. Besides, all they care about is the money. I'm surprised they don't offer an escrow.

It's definitely ridiculous. Nothing in my area but cows and cornfields, and lest we forget, the Adirondack region... Just a million or so acres of woods. 🤷‍♂️

I don't understand retailers not shipping to NY either, but if you look around it's not hard to find what your heart desires.

The OLD NY Gravity knife law was enforced on many out of state sellers years ago. That caused many of them to change their shipping policy. Today most of those " no ship to NY" policies are still in effect but no longer need to be....

Different state but same principle. I was having a hell of a time trying to get a vendor to ship a Cold Steel FGX Ring Dagger to California. California law prohibits undetectable knives but Lynn Thompson in his infinite wisdom added a metal ring to the handle making said knives detectable and therefore legal. Also having been a California based company I think he knew a thing or two about California's legislature and how to beat them at their own game. Still nobody would ship one of these knives to me. So I ended up ordering from GSM's Cold Steel in Texas with no problem! Imagine that.

Once you get outside of Los Angeles or the San Francisco Bay Area, California has real people just like anywhere else!

Back