Amazon Fake frustration

I don’t buy anything from Amazon anymore. You think fake knives are prevalent on Amazon, you should look into all the fake diesel fuel filters that are being sold on there and guys wrecking a 15k dollar fuel system. 😔

I'm unclear which knife you are calling a fake. Looks like you've got a PM2 & PM3 in the pics.

A better comparison would be made if you had pics of what you consider a fake next to a real one (or at least pics of a real one) to point out the differences.

In my experience, as the owner of over 165 Spydercos, the biggest tip off to a Spyderco fake is the box which never "looks right" in terms of the coloring and design and never has the proper labeling at the end of it. Do you have pics of the box?

Also, I buy A LOT of stuff on Amazon and in my experience, Amazon is very good about accepting returns for any reason. No need to even mention that you think it's a fake or not. Just box it up & return it and you'll either get a credit to your Amazon account or a refund to your credit card.

If it was sold by a 3rd party vendor, Amazon will just return it to them. They'll probably just resell it but what they do w/it afterward is not your concern. You just want/need to get your $ back.

Man the pocket clip on the Para3 is the sketchiest thing I can see in your pics
As far as the Para 2 I assume you ground away the nub at the base of the cutting edge and ricasso?
Yeah sorry I threw in the new military 2 on the right because it was nearby, bad pictures I admit. The fake Para 3 is on the left, I see the last 4 or 5 reviews on Amazon say they got fakes so at least people noticed.

What's upsetting is patrolling the regular knife dealer websites. Locating the lowest price. Then back tracking the price on Amazon. Finding it out it's $30 cheaper then the cheapest dealer.

Finding a discontinued Spyderco, that no one else has, at a just get rid of it price. Free shipping of two days. A freaking 30 day window to send it back. Free.

I agree, fake knives suck. With an easy fix of printing a label and tossing it on the counter at the UPS store. Money refunded.

Amazon has gotten insanely bad in recent years, name brand quality products are nowhere to be found, replaced with amazon or sub-quality substitutes from suspicious sellers with hundreds of fake reviews.

Not to mention the "free two week shipping" that started for Prime members when COVID began. Excuses, excuses. I have not received a single Amazon item in two days during the last three years.

Not kidding. Eight-ten business days is typical. Now, we only use Amazon for stuff that we don't particularly need, and aren't in a hurry to get (like household consumables). Not to mention that I won't buy anything expensive there. Much too afraid of previously opened boxes, fakes, and lost deliveries. YMMV.

The washed out G10 is always a dead giveaway, along with the thin clip and bolder stamped markings.

I'm tempting fate. I purchased a used item off of Amazon. A very expensive, easy to fake, kitchen accessory. Described as used in new condition.

"With a 1% scratch on the bottom".

Ever heard of a 1% scratch? How's it different from a 100% scratch? And who in the hell is determining the %. Based on what?

Anyway, it's a $30 dollars off scratch. Warranty isn't effected scratch..

It shows up today. So we'll see.

What's upsetting is patrolling the regular knife dealer websites. Locating the lowest price. Then back tracking the price on Amazon. Finding it out it's $30 cheaper then the cheapest dealer.

Finding a discontinued Spyderco, that no one else has, at a just get rid of it price. Free shipping of two days. A freaking 30 day window to send it back. Free.

I agree, fake knives suck. With an easy fix of printing a label and tossing it on the counter at the UPS store. Money refunded.
That may be an easy fix for you, but I'm 180 miles from the nearest UPS Store.

That may be an easy fix for you, but I'm 180 miles from the nearest UPS Store.

Uh...you can return stuff through USPS. UPS is an option..

And I'll have you know. My local UPS is packed full of fruit cakes. Fruit cakes that give off a body funk smell.

No pun intended, but it's not a, 'cake walk' for me either.

I ONLY buy something on Amazon if I can't find it locally and I know this item will be a Chinese crap item but its ok. Usually some random household item. I don't ever buy anything for vehicles, knives, etc. Anything that can be counterfeit and is hard for me to tell.

My wife was showing me how they "trick" you too by you scroll the page to see who the seller is. Because alot of times the seller listed is misleading or imo false. If you click on the seller on the products main page, it takes you to another page for the seller. Scroll down to see the detailed seller info, alot of times the detailed seller info doesn't match. It also shows you an address. Google the address to be sure its a real address owned by who is supposed to be the seller.

Uh...you can return stuff through USPS. UPS is an option..

And I'll have you know. My local UPS is packed full of fruit cakes. Fruit cakes that give off a body funk smell.

No pun intended, but it's not a, 'cake walk' for me either.
Advance auto stores are serving as UPS drop offs for Amazon returns. There could be other stores doing the same

Well that was a forum rookie mistake... I meant to quote the post that said the closest ups store was 180 miles away

I figured as much. I live out in the sticks where nothing is easy. I've seen enough "fake from Amazon" reports, including from TazKristi saying that Amazon is no longer an authorized dealer, to save myself grief and just ignore their existence. You never have to send anything back to them if you never buy anything from them.

Last edited:
One more thought. I did buy a DMT sharpening set off Amazon. But I emailed DMT directly from the contact info on their own website to verify they actually sell their products on Amazon before buying. It never hurts to verify as much as possible

Fakes are and have been a challenge for more than 30 years. Most come from China.

sal
Yeah, and it sucks that we can't stop it.

Last year I paid under $100 for a "used" PM2 Tanto DLC, and the price should have given me an internal alarm. It was suspiciously a fake, and for sure a fake once I did my research; but the seller refunded me immediately and claimed he didn't know. He had 100% positive feedback, so I didn't leave a bad review, but I wonder if 99% buyers knew it was a fake at that price, and so they gave him positive feedback for a good deal.

Now I'm just wary about buying on eBay, especially if the price is more than $30-40 below the usual street price.

You're very right. Everything from oil filters to fountain pens and flashlights etc. Knives are a especially a bad trick though. You might pay top dollar for a good steel with great heat treat and get a Chinese budget steel with inferior HT and not know it, then always not be happy your "name brand" knife doesn't do what you thought.

I think its an unfortunate byproduct of the world we live in now with global trade over the internet. What makes life convenient for us also makes it just as convenient for folks up to no good. The only way anymore to know something is genuine I think is to buy it from a place you know will not be a fake, reputable dealers.

Back