Amboyna burl and W-2

Here is a bowie that I finished up for a customer. The handle is amboyna burl. The guard and fittings are blued mild steel. The blade is 11 5/8" of forged W-2. The hamon is much more active than I could capture in the photos. Overall length is 16 3/4".
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Big and beautiful - I bet he's a happy camper. I know I would be. :)

Roger

Yep, thats a superb looking big bowie ...... got a close up of the guard?

Cheers,

Stephen

That's an awesome bowie! I don't like a lot of the bowies out there but this one strikes a chord with me. :D

Now THAT'S a KNIFE!!!! :eek:

Dang Craig, I don't like too many LARGE knives, but that one is just right!!!

You just keep gettin' better every time you post a new one! :thumbup:

And that's the blade shape that truly appeals to me... not to mention the hamon... :D

Craig,
Congrats to the lucky customer. :thumbup:
Sweet Bowie,nicely sized and sizzlin' hamon. :cool:
As Stephen mentioned,it'd be cool to see a close up of the guard.

Doug

Now THIS is why I'm such a fan of Bowies.:cool:

Would love to get a better look at that hamon, though.

Congratulations -- a real example of skill and taste.

Wow that is a nice knife and I just went to your website and saw the rest of your knives and man what great work I'm going to have watch for any knives of yours for sale.

Fantastic Craig!:thumbup: Extremely drool worthy... don't let Danbo near that one, I hear his drool causes a spectacular patina.

Thanks for the responses. Here is a close up picture of the guard. I will try to get a better shot of the hamon tomorrow.
standard.jpg

VERY nice...I have a bowie about that size but a bit slimmer made from Don's magic W2 sitting on the bench waiting for me to screw it up...lol. Do you stabilize your amboyna? I have a big 24 x 2 x2 stick of some gorgeous amboyna that I got for a good price on sale from a pool cue supply place last year, but I worry a little bit about using it unstabilized on a "working" knife. Word of advice to my fellow knifemanglers from a newbie who spends way too much....if you buy your wood in large pieces like big turning stock or bowl blanks, it cost about half as much as when you buy handle sized pieces. I got that amboyna stick for $225 and it would have cost over $400 if you bought that much in handle sized blocks. I found similar deals fromanother supplier.....Exotic Wood Group is their name, I think.......on 12 x 12 x 3 big bowl blanks of wildly figured curly maple and English walnut and some sticks of blackwood and lignum vitae. Some of the smiths have discovered those guys too. There are some knives on their "customer project" pages.

Back