American Hunting knife/ small guardless Bowie

Hey Guys

Had a blade that just did not look right so I made it into a guardless clip point Hunter. Can't wait untill my new steel gets here, I am panting to try out the AP Green for some temper line action...

5 5/8" Forged 5160 Clip point blade
Nickle silver bolster
Quilted Chapalle wood handle with thong hole

8 oz Vegtable tanned wet fitted pouch sheath, multi option carry.

Attachments

• new1 009 (Medium).jpg
    new1 009 (Medium).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 366
  • new1 016 (Medium).jpg
    new1 016 (Medium).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 149
  • new1 017 (Medium).jpg
    new1 017 (Medium).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 197
Temper-line looks real nice on that one......great knife. :cool:

Very nice! I think the design should work very well. The lack of guard and clip point blade will allow the user to get a little close for some delicate point work if necessary. Very thoughtful and utilitarian design, and it looks great too.

About the wood - what is chapalle? Looks kinda like sapele maybe(?) but I've never heard of chapalle. Very pretty though. Mind sharing your source with us?

Thanks

Where have I heard that name??? :confused:

Oh, wait... Another Wheeler???? :eek:

Dang, y'all are about to drive me knuts!

Great blade shape... I'd love to see one in about 5 1/2" to 7" range with a full guard, cross draw sheath like that one and a little tweaking on the handle... and I think there may be another Wheeler I have to add to my list!!! LOL!!!! :D

Wulf said:
About the wood - what is chapalle? Looks kinda like sapele maybe(?) but I've never heard of chapalle. Very pretty though. Mind sharing your source with us?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's a form of Bubinga. Whatever you call it, it's very nice. I believe I have some in my "pretty wood" collection out in the shop. ;) :)

I've got a few pieces on pomelle sapele in my wood bin. It's similar to quilted mahogany. It's pretty stuff, it smells good too :).

Great knife Gary. I really like the guardless look, great job on the swedges. Nice hardening line too. I think the domed pin is a nice touch as are the spacers. Real nice :).

Hey Guys Thanks for looking, seems like I have been making a lot of clipped blades in the past few years. I even make a few bowies now and then ;) , I kind of dig those long sharp clips. Still wrassaling with the thin guard idea but making progress I think...

Dick the wood came from a lady who makes custom turned pens here in town, she went out of business and the Breeder and I picked up a bunch of her wood stock at a good price. The closest I can come to what this wood is like is a cross between quilted and tiger Maple, it works about the same and is prettier than both..

OH an Joeshredd :rolleyes:

I am the OLD Ugly Wheeler, I met Nick at the Blade Show and he makes some Great Steel, but he is no way going to win in an Ugly contest with me....... :thumbup: :D

Gary WHeeler said:
OH an Joeshredd :rolleyes:

I am the OLD Ugly Wheeler, I met Nick at the Blade Show and he makes some Great Steel, but he is no way going to win in an Ugly contest with me....... :thumbup: :D

Let's put it this way - I haven't met you, yet, and I have met Nick, so I can't say as to the visuals - LOL!!....

But if you keep posting clip points in the manner I like, and they look as good as this guardless one, well, I think we may find your work is where we'll be comparing y'all in the looks department! :D And if I ever get to handle one, we'll know where y'all stand in the fit'n'finish part, too!

Wulf said:

Thanks

You are right on the nut Wulf, I goofed the spelling on the wood it is Sapelle wood :eek: :eek:

Pretty stuff, ain't it?

Gonna have to try some myself one of these days...

Wulf said:
Pretty stuff, ain't it?

Gonna have to try some myself one of these days...

Hey Wulf

If you want I will cut out enough for some slabs and send it off to you to try out, no problem.. I like this stuff.. I just got another little guard less clipped hollow ground hunter finished using it and I like it more and more.....

Let me know????????? :thumbup: :)

joeshredd said:
Let's put it this way - I haven't met you, yet, and I have met Nick, so I can't say as to the visuals - LOL!!....

But if you keep posting clip points in the manner I like, and they look as good as this guardless one, well, I think we may find your work is where we'll be comparing y'all in the looks department! :D And if I ever get to handle one, we'll know where y'all stand in the fit'n'finish part, too!

LOL well we will just have to see what I can do to give you the chance to do some looking, The stuff Nick make's is damn nice work..so I will have to leave it up to you and others to see if I make the grade or not..:D

Gary WHeeler said:
Hey Wulf

If you want I will cut out enough for some slabs and send it off to you to try out, no problem.. I like this stuff.. I just got another little guard less clipped hollow ground hunter finished using it and I like it more and more.....

Let me know????????? :thumbup: :)

Very kind of you Gary! But not necessary - I've been meaning to get some of this wood for a while now anyway, you just provided the inspiration with this great little knife here - thanks for that. :)

Those f'n Wheelers!!! :mad:

:D :p :D

I like this knife a lot Gary!

BTW folks, as I've been getting asked a lot lately... as far as we could figure out, Gary and I are NOT related... just a ridiculously crazy coincidence!

Another funny thing, was when Gary and I met at the Blade show a few years back, the font of "Wheeler" on Gary's business card, was the same as the font of "Wheeler" on my blades! That was a trip! lol :)

I sure like this knife Gary... I hope you post more! :D

-Nick-
http://www.wheelerknives.com

NickWheeler said:

:D :p :D

Hey Nick

:eek: Yea!!!! those damn Wheelers are showing up every place these days:D

I have been asked more than a few times if we are related, I keep saying not that I know of......

Thanks Nick this one is going to be hard for me to let go, when I go back to Oregon to visit family Kim is doing the show down in Atlanta hopefully it will slip away before I get back…I have some more blades in the fire and will be posting a few when I get back..

Gary WHeeler said:
NickWheeler said:

, when I go back to Oregon to visit family Kim is doing the show down in Atlanta hopefully it will slip away before I get back…I have some more blades in the fire and will be posting a few when I get back..

Man, it must be nice to have a great partner that will do shows while the other is flying off.
ps FL. doesnt count Gary. :p

Kim Breed said:
Gary WHeeler said:
Man, it must be nice to have a great partner that will do shows while the other is flying off.
ps FL. doesnt count Gary. :p

OK Buddy.....

Lets see you go to FL, WI, GA, and back and forth to some T&A baby in Nashville and then say bad things about me going to visit once in 2 years (we can't count fishing in AK, since we both went there)) :D :D :thumbup:

I think you are going to be dodging hammers the week after next..... :p

Back