American Tanto vs Double Edge Dagger

If you ask anyone involved in those wood / cement breaking demonstrations the blocks are made so they are easy to break. The wood boards are cut across the grain rather than with the grain and held in a way that means, as you noted, even a child could break them. The cement I believe is made with too much sand in the mix.

We bought our concrete blocks at building supply stores.
You don't break as big a stack of them that way, but if you don't hit it well, it doesn't break...or your hand does. :)

We select our one inch pine boards to make sure there are no cracks.
We also like breaking them unsupported at times for extra challenge (if you aren't fast enough, the board just goes flying away from you).
It isn't about impressing spectators (especially when no one is watching), it is about testing yourself.
And occasionally breaking a knuckle...good times. :thumbsup:

I did go watch a demonstration by some other martial arts school, and they were breaking big stacks.
I took one of the half blocks of concrete after, and broke it with extreme ease; one of their students mixed the concrete himself, and did it for ease of breaking.

So there are both ends of the spectrum.
Fakers with impressively sized stacks of easy to break stuff...and idiots like me who occasionally break ourselves. :D

We bought our concrete blocks at building supply stores.
You don't break as big a stack of them that way, but if you don't hit it well, it doesn't break...or your hand does. :)

We select our one inch pine boards to make sure there are no cracks.
We also like breaking them unsupported at times for extra challenge (if you aren't fast enough, the board just goes flying away from you).
It isn't about impressing spectators (especially when no one is watching), it is about testing yourself.
And occasionally breaking a knuckle...good times. :thumbsup:

I did go watch a demonstration by some other martial arts school, and they were breaking big stacks.
I took one of the half blocks of concrete after, and broke it with extreme ease; one of their students mixed the concrete himself, and did it for ease of breaking.

So there are both ends of the spectrum.
Fakers with impressively sized stacks of easy to break stuff...and idiots like me who occasionally break ourselves. :D

You mean there is nothing mystical about it? :(

They could probably poke a new hole in your butt with their bare finger.
kevin-malone-gif.gif

Last edited:
I'll take the double edge over the tanto all day long.

1. I'd prefer the cutting ability of curved belly vs that *transition point* in the tanto (not sure what to call it)
2. Sharpening the top swedge might have some uses in survival (skinning for example) and self defense.
3. I hate tanto's and chisel grinds. I think they look stupid (fire away tanto people). I prefer the aesthetics of the top knife.
4. S35VN > D2 if all else (namely price) is about equal.

I think you are looking for an “ oh shit !!!..this got close and nasty fast !!!” Blade and either will do you fine for that. For “survival” your gonna rely on your skills and anything that cuts is gonna be good.

I think you are looking for an “ oh shit !!!..this got close and nasty fast !!!” Blade and either will do you fine for that. For “survival” your gonna rely on your skills and anything that cuts is gonna be good.

In that case... :D (why not do it with style?)

wittlescwappy wittlescwappy what kind of survival scenario are you planning on going into wearing a cumberbund? I think you should probably get one knife for close range self defense, and another for times where you might enter a survival scenario.

Wtf Charlie Mike. Every time a “I need a knife for x” thread comes up there is a whole discussion until finally someone says “just get CM to do it.” You’re eliminating all discussion.

They should add an emoji that is smiley face holding a sign that says “CM will do it”

Or CM could really just be the FASTEST custom knife maker in the world ! Got an idea for a knife, he will make it in 30 minutes or less or your next one is free !

A "survival" knife is really just a hard use utility knife with sexy marketing . Mainly should be very tough to not break in emergency non-knife applications . You list this as secondary , but really it's one or the other . A great CQ backup with DE will be a dedicated fighting knife and not much good otherwise . The tanto is more versatile for general use and still a good fighter .

I'll take the double edge over the tanto all day long.

1. I'd prefer the cutting ability of curved belly vs that *transition point* in the tanto (not sure what to call it)
2. Sharpening the top swedge might have some uses in survival (skinning for example) and self defense.
3. I hate tanto's and chisel grinds. I think they look stupid (fire away tanto people). I prefer the aesthetics of the top knife.
4. S35VN > D2 if all else (namely price) is about equal.
I completely agree! While I like the stuff CM and we are friends. :p The Americanized Tanto sucks as a Skinning cutting tool imo. All of the pressure ends up at that transistion area . I used one I made quite successful to chip paint off of a window sill I was repainting.———// Sure you can stab & slash with them. You can do that with a knife with a little belly. And besides that, for all of our ninja training. Knives get used for daily uses far more. And knife can be “Tactical” and used as such if need be. ;)

Back