Ammo sales and future survival (another potential political thread)

I own two 10-22s now and have had 2 others in the past and none of them are worth a shit as far as accuracy goes. Marlin is twice the rifle when it comes to accuracy, IMO

That's odd- I've never heard complaints about the 10/22 being inaccurate. Mine's bone stock except for a red-dot scope on top, and it's a tackdriver- easily shoots 1" groups at 50 yds. Maybe I got lucky.

None of the 10-22s I have had will shoot 2" MOA. I have Marlins that will shoot 1.25 to 1.5" MOA though right out of the box. The 917VR is one of them.

None of the 10-22s I have had will shoot 2" MOA. I have Marlins that will shoot 1.25 to 1.5" MOA though right out of the box. The 917VR is one of them.

Sounds like I did get lucky. That's a first! Yay me! :thumbup: Those Marlins are cool. But the 917VR is a bolt action- that's cheating! I have an old Winchester single shot bolt action .22LR that does the trick quite nicely- it's the gun I learned on. In a survival situation where you had limited ammunition- a single shot might be a good idea- it would take me a long time to go through a box when I was a kid- 1 shot, 1 kill! It's pretty easy to burn through ammo with a semi. Especially if you miss a shot and try to go all Rambo, hoping you get lucky.

IMHO, in light of the past year's revelations about internet postings being used in court cases, even when not directly related, I don't really think it wise to list posessions online. YMMV. ;)

I agree.
I wish I owned a gun or one round of ammo.
I seem to have sold,lost,misplaced or had stolen everything non PC I owned.

Go Obama.;)

I agree that bolt action is cheating but even the semi-autos I've owned from marlin seem to out-shoot the 10-22. None of the shooting I do is out of a Ransom or other rest so it could very well be ergonomics that's causing the 10-22s not to work well for me?

Could be. I can shoot the center out of a target at 30 yards with a 10/22 and High cap mag. I can put the round anywhere I want at 75yds. Although I havent tried to shoot a quarter size target open sights, I can hit a bottle no prob....

Thats interesting, I have never heard of that before......Some people just shoot better with differant guns though. My bud cant hit the broad side of a barn with a 4in S&W 686,
but can hit anything with a 1911.

I agree that bolt action is cheating but even the semi-autos I've owned from marlin seem to out-shoot the 10-22. None of the shooting I do is out of a Ransom or other rest so it could very well be ergonomics that's causing the 10-22s not to work well for me?

No,you're right.
The standard 10/22 with the skinny barrel is good for plinking at close range
or one shot one inch groups.

With the right barrel and stock combination you can make them shoot.
The Mini 14 is the same deal.

We use to have mini bowning pin matches with fired shotgun shells placed standing up on on a table with .22 rifles and pistols.
Once you get to a certain range, accuracy will be more important than speed.
You can shoot a bolt damn fast once you get use to it.
You can never shoot fast enough to make misses count.

If there is going to be a weapons ban what would the general process be. I know how a bill becomes a law I mean what would be the signs of it coming. will they really try to do it right off the bat. will the NRA take it to court? would it not risk the reelection of the congrassman that pass the bill. just curious what everyones thoughts on this are?

The next Virginia Tech massacre type tragedy, Obama will either use an executive order
or drum up enough media hype to push legislation through for our own good.
Every crime committed with a gun will be an excuse for Obama and his liberal friends to take away more of your rights.
The millions of times a year guns are used to protect innocent lives will never even enter the argument which is Ironic when Obama has the very well armed Secret Service protecting him.

300px-ChoSh.jpg

Whistle Pig or Green Mountain will make a 10/22 shoot with most stock bolt guns, and about four or more times as fast lead on target to boot.

I guess I'm one of those fools who is gonna dump a bunch of money into a $200 rifle.:D I'm currently re-building one a piece at a time into an olive drab and black killin' machine.

Step One: Houge Overmolded stock in O.D.
Step Two: Whistle Pig Dark Green/Black Fade barrel. Thread for a can. Buy an undetermined can.
Step Three: Undetermined fire control group components and extended magazine release.
Step Four: Bipod and some way of getting a QD scope to co-witness with some irons.

I never liked regular iron sights on 10/22s or much of anything else. I remember my Dad had a Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm pellet rifle so I spent most of my time shooting Williams Peep Sights, which he purchased and mounted on the Blue Streak. I don't care for regular stock sights and can't shoot nearly as well. It's just my eyes and I'm not getting any younger, either.

If they make a Williams, or other good peep for a 10/22, that would be a great choice for most people I think.

I had a 10/22 a few years ago, sold it off.

It was more accurate than me and was a blast to shoot but the mags sucked hard. Even the stock rotary mags jammed up on me all the time. granted, I shot it alot but still had more problems than I should have.

A friend of mine pulled an OLD single shot, bolt action .22 off the bottom of a pond near his house in Pa. and gave it to me. The action was rusted shut and the stock was busted in half. I worked on it for a few weeks and now it's my only remaining .22.

It's a great shooter and the thing is just so simple, I can't imagine it ever not working.

DSC01837.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

I just wish I could put a scope on it.

Ruger's QC must be in the toilet big time. I purchased mine back around 1993 and I just don't have a complaint. To be honest, I've never heard so many complaints about them as I have of late.

...The millions of times a year guns are used to protect innocent lives will never even enter the argument which is Ironic when Obama has the very well armed Secret Service protecting him....QUOTE]

Actually, I read that he hired Blackwater for his last overseas jaunt.

I had a 10/22 but also didn't care for the mags. They weren't that bad, but I had a Ruger Mk II 5" pistol that did everything I wanted a .22 to do. Sold the 10/22 to a happy friend.

The MK II is an awesome little tack-driving pistol.

Got a .22 rifle out of a pond???????????? Who did it kill and who was trying to ditch that gun?

Yea, that was my first thought as well. I convinced myself that a little kid ditched it because he broke the stock and didn't want his father to see.

Keeps me from feeling like I'm interfereing in a criminal investigation.:D

Love my ruger 10/22. Was really accurate stock, and even more so w/cheap well adjusted scope. I have had a few jamming problems though.

Back