Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

The meets seem to get better each year and this year was no exception and I got the pics to prove it ;). I had a great time meeting the Spydercrew and fellow knifeknuts. There were so many concept models and prototypes; I actually had kind of a hard time keeping track of the various models. I did shoot pics of everyone, but for complete info I hope my fellow spyderknuts will chime in.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_deshorn.jpg

Today I’ll focus on two wharncliffe models of opposite ends of the spectrum. First up is the Des Horn Folder by …you guessed it, Des Horn; a South African custom knifemaker. This is a very slick little gent’s folder. The G10 handle is very lightweight and sports a very fine splinter-picker S30V wharncliffe blade. The tip down wireclip is a first for Spyderco.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_deshorn_blade.jpg

I really liked how it handled. Even though the knife is aimed at right-handers, I had no trouble flicking it open with my left hand. This one is definitely ‘wish list’ material.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_deshorn_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_deshorn_scale.jpg

The Yojimbo 2 is hefty and stout interpretation of the whanrcliffe folder. It’s light but felt very solid in the hand. I love the melted edges on the handle. I just thought that it’s almost a pity that I don’t have a real need for an MBC folder when Sal talked about how the Yojimbo 2 (as opposed to the Yojimbo 1) would also make a good EDC folder.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_yojimbo2.jpg

The G10 handle is shorter than the first Yojimbo, but still long enough for my hands. In the closed position I could still use the knife as an impact weapon. The opening action was fast and slick and my hand almost automatically slipped into Janich’s preferred grip with the thumb resting on the spine. I am curious why the divot hole was abandoned. The first Yojimbo had it and I liked that feature.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_yojimbo2_blade.jpg

The blade seemed a bit thicker than on the Yojimbo 1, but this blade still seemed more than sharp enough to perform its task. Even though I kind of abandoned MBC knife for my personal EDC, I’m tempted to get this one.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_yojimbo2_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_yojimbo2_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_yojimbo2_scale.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_yojimbo2_clipside.jpg

Woaah thanks so much for these. Do you have pics of all the other models they showcased?? Yojimbo 2 is very nice, would love to get one, or two?

Woaah thanks so much for these. Do you have pics of all the other models they showcased?? Yojimbo 2 is very nice, would love to get one, or two?

Yes I did get pics of all the models showcased, but not all of them can be published, I'll spend the next week selecting and editing the pics of prototypes I can show - those models that will go into production. I'll try to publish a few knives each day after work.

Amazing, though I need to change my pants now. The Des Horn looks so cool. Great to see the Yojimbo 2 again. Thanks for the pics.

This is one of the highlights of this time of year. Thanks for the pictures, I'm anxious to see what the new Gayle Bradley models look like up close. Please tell me you have them, and the TUF! :D

Thanks for the pics and notes! The Jess Horn looks very interesting, but the spydie hole is barely visible. How do you open it one-handed? How long is the blade?

Thanks for the pics and notes! The Jess Horn looks very interesting, but the spydie hole is barely visible. How do you open it one-handed? How long is the blade?

There's a huge cutout in the handle, the entire hole is visible.

Oh my goodness, this is amazing! You work fast! Your prototype pictures every year are a godsend! Yo 2 is incredible, I will be getting one for sure as soon as its released

I really hope you can publish the Lil' Temp 2 and Large Manix 2! Also the XL Persian sounds amazing!

Very cool shots! Really digging that Des Horn Folder, anymore pics to come? ;D

edit: ok my bad you answered already, apparently I just fail at reading ;)

Last edited:
Both are amazing. I can't wait for the Yojimbo 2. I'll be buying at least 2.

Back